Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Thursday is my only night without the kids this week, and we'll all be in Phoenix Fri-Sun.... plus, I'm being selfish. The trip Fri-Sun is for her dads birthday, so I'll smile and suffer through that, she can smile and suffer through this! Mutually assured misery, the trick to a successful relationship!?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is a really, really, really terrible idea and you will owe your wife like a dozen rom-com movie night dates if you do this. Most women do NOT like the first blade runner movie, its super slow and Deckard is a bit rapey towards everyone.

instead AMC theaters (@ Town Square, 215/15) is doing Rocky Horror Picture Show on fri, sat, and sun at like 7pm and 10pm (?), go see that and then maybe see blade runner 2049 afterwards.
Agree wholeheartedly. The original is NOT a good movie. The story had some great morality concepts for the time but it's pretty old hat nowadays. The movie itself is slow and not in a good way.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I suppose it depends on if you watched the version with 15 minutes of Han Solo flying in a car and cool music, or the one where he is thinking and talking to himself during said 15min interlude. (I know exaggeration)

The thing is a mix of stuff, its sci-fi "action" its a "solo cop vs the man" movie, its a cerebral piece about humanity and imitated humanity - its a visual journey - its world building... it is a lot, and many people like it even for 1 part of it.

And yes its funny to look back at certain parts like "remember when han solo pretended to be a news reported and used a funny voice to kill a hooker robot?" and then you got the "TEARS IN THE RAIN MAN!!! TEARS IN THE RAIN!" as stated above- its funny to look at it that way. But that entire "Its like tears in the rain..." and paired with the fact that his time was up...after this long chase, fights etc... it makes you think... right? that is the point?

So... it really depends on what part of the first movie hits you and for what reasons... and how it has aged well or not.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was excellent in any and every possible way. Gorgeous, stunning and visually impeccable, great (and clever) writing, top notch actors, it's definitely gonna become a new Sci-Fi movie milestone. Watch it in a theater with decent sound system though, the soundtrack is haunting.

KAkXQK3.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
awesome, can't wait to see it friday. The OG blade runner is playing in some theaters tonight as well, The Final Cut edition. I watched it last night at home while playing forza 7, loved the visuals again. Some of the plot points though were a little weird, like how Zhora worked at a strip club. Would have loved that Batty planning meeting:

Batty: ok you 2 guys go and try to break into Tyrell corp, watch out for the fences. Leon, you go and get a job and work your way into security from the inside. Priss, hang out in case we need you to seduce someone. Zhora, go work at a strip club with a snake.
Zhora: wait, what
Batty: TRUST ME

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
In spite of all the early positive buzz some are predicting this to struggle to make it's budget (estimates as high as $185 million) back because the fan base of the original movie is quite small in comparison to the hallowed position the film has in the history of the genre. So it might start getting panned a little from that angle but Villeneuve probably has enough good will stored up with the Hollywood media to head a lot of that off.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sounds like we could get a new video game out of this boys.

Go see this one a few times.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Watch it in a theater with decent sound system though, the soundtrack is haunting.
Zimmer made an excellent work there. It's Zimmer channelling the modern spirit of Vangelis.

I also second the motion. It's a terrific modern take on the theme. It's bleak, but not (always) dark. It's a slow action movie, where the handful of action scenes are fast and incredibly short for a 2017 movie (save for the last one, which is overly long compared to all of the others). It explores well the duality of what is real and what is fabricated. The virtual vs the material. The fictitious vs the history. There's plenty of details (every little tear that Luv sheds) that hint at what lies beneath the fabric of what you're shown.

And it ends, not under rainfall, but snowfall.

Ranking: 9.9/10.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Juvarisx

Florida

Mesa is just wonderful

edit. I guess the spotify plugin on her e is a biit funky, that green button will pull up the album

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I expect reviews, I want to see this badly but I almost never go to the theater anymore. If this is good enough I'll be forced to go.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you don't like the original or think it's slow etc, then you'll feel the same about this one. Dragged in places and storyline doesn't make any sense and isn't explained.

6/10, visuals and soundtrack best thing about it

• 3Picard
  • 3Barf
Reactions: 5 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If you like Blade Runner then this is nearly a 10/10.

Actually shocked how good it was.

• 7Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A great sci-fi sequel and a welcome addition to the franchise, if you think Ridley ruined the Aliens franchise this is the opposite and may launch much more in the replicants universe.

• 2Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I went in with high expectations, and this movie met them completely. Really interested if they'll do anything more with this world. Lot of options. Gosling was pretty amazing in this movie.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
He is indeed the perfect soulless robot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Solidarity