Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

iannis

Musty Nester
There's a powerful chapter in the book where a replicant instill doubt in deckard about his own humanity. But it does not translate into the movie. I don't think that character exists. And the power of it is deck coming to terms with HIS humanity, and making a moral choice.

That's what Scott was trying to accomplish with that. He failed to do so. He took a deep examination of the human condition and tried to turn it into a movie gimmick.

Dry fits a lot better with the book. Wet looks better on screen though. The world was a partially radiated hell, in the book. There had been nuclear exchanges only alluded to.

iannis

Musty Nester
The thing is, dick isn't even talking about androids. He's talking about extreme loss of affect. He's talking about what the internet is breeding. The voight kamph test doest test for androids. It tests for psychopathy. It just so happens that all androids are psychopaths. Emotion can be mimicked, but true empathy is impossible between the artificial and the natural. The artificial don't even have empathy for one another.

But that's too subtle for a 90 to 120 minute movie. So I don't blame Scott for not being able to get to that. However, by claiming deckard is a replicamt, its fairly obvious that Scott both read the book and utterly failed to understand it.

RIDLEY SCOTT IS A FUCKING REPLICANT

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Uhh little a bit to much ham on that "I'm a genius beyond your comprehension" attitude. Reminds me of that terrible lex in bvs.

Hope it's toned down or Leto has little screen time for the movie.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked it. It fits within the overwhelming confidence that the previous replicant creator had, and it isn't ridiculous. He was literally showing the exact measures of his control, and how replicants are now "harmless" if controlled. Good sales pitch, especially after the replicant expresses that it feels pain. It overrode its pain impulses to kill itself (in the short) thus describing semi-absolute control.

It would definitely get boring super f'n quick if that was just how things worked in Blade Runner 2. You -know- that this type of control has a loophole (I mean, aside from obvious logical ones) and that is going to be a large impetus in the film. Which is fine, and it fits the world design pretty well. The guys making the dolls think they are gods, and being gods, they have all the arrogance you would assume of one. Including the arrogance that they haven't made any mistakes. As a "prequel" short, it does a nice job of showing how the lead developer in the "modern" world of the films has felt about his creations. He's god, and in his mind god doesn't make mistakes. Cue said mistakes for the film.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Leto seemed to be pushing those lines too hard.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A few new teaser spots on Instagram with fresh footage.

Jared Leto wasn't featured much but his acting looked pretty badass and fresh. I know people were worried whether he was playing this right or overacting (Leto has a tendency to overact with poor direction). The short I just saw made me feel a lot better about it and got me hyped again. It might be The Joker we never got.

I think people are going to be surprised come October.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still optimistic about this new Blade Runner, those two shorts above were good.

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How much make up do they have him in? He just looks weird and nothing like his normal self until you hear his voice.

spronk

FPS noob
First impressions coming out from critics is extremely positive, gonna immerse myself next week and watch the first movie and the little 2022 shorts. There are a couple theaters doing a double screening on Thursday, Oct 5th but thats 4.5 hours of freaking movie time in one theater, a bit too much for me. Gonna see it comfortably in IMAX on fri, Oct 6th

Movie clocks in at 2 hours and 43 minutes, so its a long one

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
First impressions coming out from critics is extremely positive, gonna immerse myself next week and watch the first movie and the little 2022 shorts. There are a couple theaters doing a double screening on Thursday, Oct 5th but thats 4.5 hours of freaking movie time in one theater,

Yeah I'm all for immersion but lack the necessary cerebral implants/drugs to sustain 4.5 hours of big screen digestion.

What Jerry Leto was trying to tell us in that short-- being human has its limitations.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
After that short I was thinking "franchise?", maybe a new pitch for a video game sequel that doesn't cost 35 million?

Although Virgin were interested in doing a sequel, if a sequel were approved, the Blade Runner Partnership intended to increase the licensing fee. Ultimately, Westwood and Virgin concluded the cost of producing a game to top the original, coupled with the increased cost for licensing, made the prospect of a sequel economically untenable, as such a sequel would have to sell several million units to generate what would be considered an acceptable profit.[17] In 2009, the Blade Runner Partnership offered Gearbox Software the rights to the franchise, but production costs were estimated at $35 million and the project was scrapped.

Louis Castle explained the source code and assets were lost when Westwood moved its studio from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, thus making a re-release or a HD-remaster impossible. Even if the code was found, to restore almost a terabyte of assets, whether for new pre-rendered backdrops or full real-time 3D, would cost tens of millions of dollars, making a re-release as unlikely as a sequel.[27] The Blade Runner Partnership and Electronic Arts currently own the rights to the game

Multiple studios estimated costs at 30M+. EA would need to shop it to one of those new Chinese billionaires. Nobody in the States is going to put that kind of capital at risk. Selling several million units of the genre in today's market would be difficult no matter if it was FPS or Adventure. You see this with a lot of great games, production costs have changed to where even remaking the original game is out of reach. See Vampire:Bloodlines for a similar situation.

Last edited:

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Steve Weintraub was on Movie Talk today and he basically said that if you don't want to be spoiled then you should probably avoid any of the more detailed reviews that will start dropping when the embargo lifts on Monday because it was going to be almost impossible to discuss the plot without spoiling the movie and that there was a lot in it that could be easily spoiled.