Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't know much about making movies or what the costs involved are etc. But I always assumed the majority of modern movie costs lie in special effects. As cgi becomes cheaper and more effective, I hope we'll be rewarded by giving smaller production houses and people like that cracks at making these kind of movies.

I don't think you could have asked for much more as far as this one went. Story was great and totally not what I was expecting, acting was great, a young(ish) and talented director really understood the original and what drew people to it, and he had an amazing visual sense to go along with everything. Even watching it, I can see that it doesn't have mass appeal, I want to say that times have just changed but that's probably not true.

Juvarisx

Florida
There are costs you don't see with visual effects. Consider the lighting with the water in Wallace's building, the amount of time and care into designing a small thing like that must have been very expensive to pull of correctly. Not to say VFX are not pricey, I cant imagine the cost of making Rachel not look uncanny valley like what happened in Rogue One.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Obviously this had a lot of money devoted to CGI but they also built out some expensive sets. The orphanage for example. When you see those buildings in the distance you're not looking at a CGI effects. They actually built those. That gets expensive to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Plus actor salaries. If you get nobodies that will work for near scale that's different than paying a big name 8 figures.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Oh yeah, as soon as I saw Rachel's profile I thought "oh no, dont..." But it was very well done.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
How did Wallace know there was a baby out there?

I assumed he did not until they found Rachel's bones and it showed she died during childbirth. He mentioned he had been trying hard to create a replicant that could reproduce that way and was lamenting that Tyrell took the secret to his grave.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I assumed he did not until they found Rachel's bones and it showed she died during childbirth.

Didn't only the cops know about the childbirth?

Luv only got the bones after Wallace mentioned the baby.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd like to say that I realllllllly liked the Luv character. At first she just comes off as a secretary-like role. But before you know it she's breakin' necks.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
How did Wallace know there was a baby out there?

Its not a big leap to assume the police dept of 2049 is corrupt and one of the people who learned that rachel had a baby sold that info to Wallace who probably has tons of govt people on the second payroll. Some of it was also probably on the LAPD computers before Robin Wright erased it and its not really that big a leap to assume that Wallace has long ago hacked all the government data archives (he is a bit of a data nut) and copies it all instantly to his own servers constantly.

And replicant's don't lack empathy, its just that they are created without empathy and they start growing empathy and emotions over time and have to be destroyed when that happens. VK tests in V1 bladerunner test whether they have empathy. Nexus 6 and higher (rachel) replicants are given fake memories to stabilize their emotions and develop empathy from the start, rachel is super empathic after all to Deckard. Nexus 9's (Wallace models) have empathy and fake memories but are supposedly programmed to never be able to rebel against their creators, but the movie show that seems to be breaking down, as evidenced by Joe and Joy's actions.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If replicants lack empathy, how can they cry?

replicants don't lack empathy. sociopaths do.

and it seemed like the chick that looks like lexi belle (lol) was a popular enough program that everyone knew what she was just based on the ringtone. so it's safe to assume that they had been spying on EVERYONE, probably scanning the populace for certain keywords the same way the fbi does. could be that someone in the police force actively turned on them or simply said something to his own personal hologram thinking it was safe and viola, wallace knows.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Wallace had Luv murder the chief of police in her office. I'm sure he has his fingers into everything.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
For real though, let's talk about how much I want to fuck Joy. GOT DAMN.

• 6Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
If replicants lack empathy, how can they cry?
That’s the thing. The Nexus 9s DO feel empathy and fear and everything. They just can’t do anything about it. Wallace made them absolutely obedient but removing their emotions would’ve degraded their quality...so he kept them in and invested in improved memories. Wallace even suggests they feel emotions more keenly than humans so when they’re doing horrid shit they’re like forced to watch it.

The Nexus Dawn short alludes to it:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Denis Villeneuve's on a roll the past few years. I'm excited to see what he does next.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
flat,800x800,075,t.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users