Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Juvarisx

Florida
He turned down Bond 25 to do it, and considering how good that could have possibly been he is very commited

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
replicants don't lack empathy.

I don't think that's true. Isn't that the point behind the "Voight-Kampff" test?

http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Voight-Kampff_machine said:
A very advanced form of lie detector that measures contractions of the iris muscle and the presence of invisible airborne particles emitted from the body. The bellows were designed for the latter function and give the machine the menacing air of a sinister insect. The VK is used primarily by Blade Runners to determine if a suspect is truly human by measuring the degree of his empathic response through carefully worded questions and statements.

I'm not sure what Luv's deal is. She obviously had a very emotional response when Wallace was blabbing about replicant reproduction but then showed no hesitation or remorse for poor ol' Coco (granted, he was human so guess she didn't give a shit).

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't think that's true. Isn't that the point behind the "Voight-Kampff" test?
I think that's the entire plot of the world. Humans WANT them to be void of emotion, but at some point they evolved to have them. The voight-kampff test is basically gibberish. It just creates a system where replicants learn to hide emotion or they die

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The point of the VK test, as I understand it, isn't that they lack empathy, just that they don't have the same response as a human would. Like j00t said, they are trying so hard to beat the test, like screaming inside their heads "BE HUMAN!" that they react differently. But it's subtle. Also, that could all be bullshit. Seems very up to interpretation.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
aefeaf.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

Didn’t realize Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack. The music really made the movie for me (like the music did for me when I was a kid; same for Terminator). The one I have on repeat at the moment is this one, but then I also have a huge crush on Joi as well. That is one beautiful woman.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Fuck this movie was good. Is it me or was this setup to where there could be a sequel?

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
The Android revolution was definitely a setup and the weakest part of the movie. No sequel though for another 20 years, movie lost money

• 2Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Right, should have expanded and said that while I understand that a sequel isn't being made it sure seemed the movie was made with one in mind. I wasn't even thinking so much the revolution but are we sure Joe/K wasn't something different?

Edit: forgot how he got the wood horse ☹️

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't get to see this in theaters and I am really wishing I had for the audio/visuals alone. Story ended up being enjoyable and outside of Wallace really dug all the characters.

• 1Picard

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just saw it on blu-ray again. Great soundtrack.

The movie flew by. Movies for me rarely fly by. For 2h40m it felt like the movie was missing another 30 to 60 minutes of footage...Anyone else notice this on rewatch?

I didn't catch that feeling in theaters, but when relaxed watching the blu-ray I felt a 4 hour runtime was not out of the question as Villuveve alluded to in that interview. There seemed to be some development missing. All seeing this again did was reinforce my interest in the longer cuts. Whether its 3 or 4 hours-- I just know there is a lot of movie missing here.

I really hope he back tracks on his decision and fans are able to convince him (through harassment) that the longer cut is probably the right cut. Hopefully some ranking film critics or some of Villiuveve's peers and high level producers can convince him to drop a directors cut if the blu-ray sales go well enough.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Right, should have expanded and said that while I understand that a sequel isn't being made it sure seemed the movie was made with one in mind. I wasn't even thinking so much the revolution but are we sure Joe/K wasn't something different?

Edit: forgot how he got the wood horse ☹️
The replicant revolution actually started decades prior to the movie. The “Blackout” that was alluded to when K visited Wallace HQ to get info on Rachel was the result of a replicant uprising that EMP’d Los Angeles and released a dirty bomb in Las Vegas.

It’s implied that the EMP burnt out much of LA’s grid and it’s effect lingered into 2049, like how when K flew over the old Tyrell Arcology.

The Anime prequel actually showed the blackout being played out by old Nexus 6’s trying to clear the records so other replicants can hide easier.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I had previously watched the short and understood the Nexus 8's and previous versions were fighting back which is why they were still being hunted down. With that said the new Replicants didn't seem to show any inclining of turning until Joe/K. Though it seemed Luv was having issues staying under control as well when she would cry at things I think? Either way even if he wasn't natural born he did seem different from the other Replicants somehow or maybe I'm just inferring.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The current generation of Wallace Replicants all have some of the memories of the natural born one (by complete accident) , but he was one who actually knew that one _could_ be born. Most of the replicants who were compliant did not have even the slightest inkling of the existence of Dekker and Rachel's daughter. Luv is probably one of the few who did and remained true to her programming.

Brad2770

What was the purpose of the chick in the birth sack that he ended up gutting? That’s the only part I don’t quite remember what was going on.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
What was the purpose of the chick in the birth sack that he ended up gutting? That’s the only part I don’t quite remember what was going on.

She was Wallace's continued attempt at creating a line that could give birth. Inspected it, deemed it unfit, and got rid of it.

• 1Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Another failed attempt at making one like Rachel that could have birth so he gutted her.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Was Luv crying in that scene because of his treatment of the failure and because she wanted to kill him but couldn't or because she was sad that it was another failure.