Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I don't think he watched the same film.

Yeah really. "It's not a character driven movie" makes me wonder if he's ever seen one.

The whole thing comes off as sour grapes from an actor who can't get his calls returned anymore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Rutger Hauer on 'Blade Runner 2049' and Why Films Today "Lack Balls"

Have you seen Blade Runner 2049?

I sniff and scratch at it. It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don't lean with one elbow on the success of that was earned over 30 years in the underground.
In many ways, Blade Runner wasn't about the replicants, it was about what does it mean to be human? It's like E.T. But I'm not certain what the question was in the second Blade Runner. It's not a character-driven movie and there's no humor, there's no love, there's no soul. You can see the homage to the original. But that's not enough to me. I knew that wasn't going to work. But I think it's not important what I think.
Yeah, pretty sure he didn't watch it.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, it was a natural step forward in the "lets ponder this question" that the first movie made - thoughts, feelings, emotion, desire, creativity and so on...do those make you human? like tears in the rain bro...

Then as those lines are blurred even more and more during the years - we come to the next big preponderance - what is life, what is living if we can die - and not procreate? Procreation is more than blind dudes means to an end to solve production limits... and he knew that, if it was production limits he would not have killed the perfectly good replicant sans not being able to reproduce.

I also am glad it really was not just a blatant continuation of the first movie, sure there were characters and sure it centered around "them" but also it didn't... it could have been any other replicant and human producing an offspring and the message and story would have worked just as fine- using deckard etc. was no sin either.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, pretty sure he didn't watch it.

Would you believe me if I told you I had a so-called educated high-brow shitlord call Westworld boring halfway through during the height of its critical reception? When everybody else was enthralled? He said "Yeah I'm getting bored".

That happened.

I'm not a sneerer, I don't think I've ever sneered in my life-- but that shit almost had me go full Snape on him.

These Rutger Hauer's are out there. The worst part is how smart they purport themselves to be, as if their words have more meaning by self-proclaiming it. I'll take 100 rational conspiracy theorists if it means deleting 1 Rutger Hauer from the internet. Alright, that ratio, yeah, fuck me we're going to have a lot of theorists!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Saw this last night... oh my God it is amazing! I was about only 20 minutes into it and knew right away I was going to relish the rest of it, and afterward just wanted to rewatch it from start to finish. Definitely in my all time top 10 films now! This was both something totally new and a masterfully tasteful journey back into the Blade Runner world. Brilliant.

The polish of its look is extraordinary. I read the reviews when it came out and that was the seemingly unanimous comment, yet it exceeded those expectations. Loved the concept of Joi, and the implications it raised in the back of my mind of having a digital partner... how, no matter what, romantic love without touch/sex is kinda dead. Thought the plotline of the replicants giving birth as the next stage of evolution was great, as it was an extension of Roy's desire for more life. I just never thought about a desire for life as procreation but it makes obvious sense in hindsight.

I changed my pants when Wallace brought out you-know-who. The feels~

There was that one transition scene where the campfire embers morphed into the amber lighted windows of the skyscrapers as the camera twists through the city-scape. Ingenious.

The music though. What I liked a bunch was that it never directly quoted the Vangelis theme... it merely hinted at it with broken melodic lines, and that worked. The theme wasn't the melody of E, F#, C#, B / E, F#, A, G#, F#, G#, but the timbre of the 80s style synths. So in that sense the music, like the movie itself, was new and fresh yet deeply reminiscent.

Such a shame it lost money. This movie feels like Twin Peaks to me. The people who love it, really love it! Yet I totally understand why your average Joe (ba-dum-pshh) would have profound indifference in it. RT critics cite "long and boring" as the most common negative attribute.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Yeah - wtf long and boring, I never felt the time in this movie, sans the sex scene, that's the only part that imo was not timed and cut as well as the rest. Also I do not think it was so much him wanting or needing physical sex - but Joi wanting to be able to give that, something she cannot, to him.

The question is, what version of Blade Runner should be watched if you are then going to watch this one? also- should the shorts be included?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
if you liked this movie be sure to watch Altered Carbon season 1 on netflix, 10 episodes and while its definitely not as good as BR it explores some of the same themes, is much more action packed, and has a lot of nice tits - and a few dongs, including James Purefoy who was one of the dudes in Rome

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if you liked this movie be sure to watch Altered Carbon season 1 on netflix, 10 episodes and while its definitely not as good as BR it explores some of the same themes, is much more action packed, and has a lot of nice tits - and a few dongs, including James Purefoy who was one of the dudes in Rome
I need to Solidarity and Picard you in the same post. KappaPride

Brad2770

Came for the tits, stayed for the dongs?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think Harrison would have been FINE keeping his role a secret. It would have meant he wouldn't have to go in all those press tours that he clearly hates.

Higher ups though... They know ford brings people to the theatre so no way they would have allowed that

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
if you liked this movie be sure to watch Altered Carbon season 1 on netflix, 10 episodes and while its definitely not as good as BR it explores some of the same themes,

and Ex Machina
and Westworld

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
and What Happened to Monday
I liked The Discovery ok as well, and Mute is good for scenery/atmosphere even if the story is... wanting.

It's a good time for sci-fi/cyberpunk shit.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was thinking about this and I feel like Blade Runner was missing a better paced story like Ghost in the Shell had while Ghost in the Shell was missing the atmosphere Blade Runner had. If only there was something with both outside of Anime!

• 2Picard

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I applaud your dedication to this trolling. Comparing this movie to anime was not something I'd have expected.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He tried the Ghost in Shell troll a few months back. He heard about your goldfish memories and decided to retread the comparison again.

• 2Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Ghost in the Shell sucked horribly. There was nothing wrong with Blade Runner, it was fantastic. Problem is that it was too intellectual for today's ADD generation where unless the movie has endless CGI explosions, a totally nonsensical plot, and social justice overtones, it has no appeal. See the box office behemoths yet objectively shitty Star Wars/Trek remakes.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah fake memories and hologram/robot threesomes are VERY intellectual!

He tried the Ghost in Shell troll a few months back. He heard about your goldfish memories and decided to retread the comparison again.
I don't remember.

This movie sucked and I want other people to admit that it sucked!

• 2Picard