Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Has anyone ever visited the MMO-Champion forums and found their moderation is pretty Toxic? Whenever you call out the blue-hair'd gender militias and how it's damaging WoW, you earn a ban.
All of the wowhead articles dealing with "those" issues are pre-locked for comments.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Another fun story:

TL;DW: Player tames a gorilla, which gets named by default by the game as "Gorilla". Bunch of people decide to spam report the name as "offensive". Players gets a suspension and a pet renaming after a "thorough investigation" and a stern warning that his account is liable for all behavior associated with it (now including apparently default game behavior).

(thread is of course deleted on Reddit)

I'm eagerly awaiting Blizzard renaming all Gorillas in-game, since it's apparently offensive.

Best commment in thread: "Sylvanas: This World is a Prison, and I will set us all Free! - We are! We left!"

• 5Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Correct - cross dressers are not transsexual (they have not medically/surgically transitioned). However, as per Queer Theory - cross dressers are considered "trans" because "trans" is an umbrella term that includes transsexuals, cross dressers, gender fluids, non binary etc etc
why do you know this shit?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Another fun story:

TL;DW: Player tames a gorilla, which gets named by default by the game as "Gorilla". Bunch of people decide to spam report the name as "offensive". Players gets a suspension and a pet renaming after a "thorough investigation" and a stern warning that his account is liable for all behavior associated with it (now including apparently default game behavior).

(thread is of course deleted on Reddit)

I'm eagerly awaiting Blizzard renaming all Gorillas in-game, since it's apparently offensive.

Best commment in thread: "Sylvanas: This World is a Prison, and I will set us all Free! - We are! We left!"

Was just a fluke in their automated moderation AI.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
why do you know this shit?

It's from the Stonewall glossary, Stonewall are the main LGBT advocacy group in the UK. They run all kinds of diversity schemes and training.

"

Trans​

An umbrella term to describe people whose gender is not the same as, or does not sit comfortably with, the sex they were assigned at birth.

Trans people may describe themselves using one or more of a wide variety of terms, including (but not limited to) transgender, transsexual, gender-queer (GQ), gender-fluid, non-binary, gender-variant, crossdresser, genderless, agender, nongender, third gender, bi-gender, trans man, trans woman,trans masculine, trans feminine and neutrois." Glossary of terms

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How is Camelot Unchained doing these days? The first thread on it was 8 years ago and its still in beta...

Also Crowfall seems to have released and died. Was it ever officially released?

Its been paused white Marc Jacobs writes "producer letters" about Ashes of Creation and New World on his blog.

He blamed COVID and the pandemic for the stop in development. Yet they have almost no funds left and development hasn't resumed. But "we're getting back to the office" as of last month, allegedly.

Sounds exactly like Pantheon. Same situation. There's like 5 people working on it, but working toward what, nobody is sure.

He's publicly denied being out of money several times. Only having to pay 2 or 3 "devs" goes a long way I guess, I mean shit it's been 8 years.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Marc Jacobs is a fucking idiot who never understood what was good about DAoC. That game was only good by accident and they spent the next 4 years destroying it.

I was pretty deeply involved in the internal development and was an actual credited QA tester for both New Frontiers and Catacombs and am very familiar with the way that guy thought about game design, the overall philosophy of the game, and individual class balance, and basically, all his ideas were stupid.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This sounds a lot like EverQuest, WoW and many other games.
WoW was a very deliberate refinement of other existing games. It was not good by accident. The only accident was what a wide appeal it had, they had 6x their high-end estimate of players within the first 2 years.

They then failed to innovate for 10+ years, which should not be a surprise, as the product was iterative rather than innovative in the first place.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
WoW was a very deliberate refinement of other existing games.
It's just that Blizzard was in the impossible situation of a) being a market leader and b) having no one left to copy the homework from. Especially since the success of WoW meant everyone was trying to copy from them.

I personally don't fault them for that, and it worked out relatively well until WotLK. But I fault Blizzard for trying to throw system after system on the wall in a crusade to be seen as innovators, and to see what sticks, only to never realize that players want content, not systems.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
While WoW was dominant, other MMOs would come along and add one or two new features to their WoW clone. Blizzard would just steal that idea and roll it into WoW. This worked until MMOs as a genre started dying and money chasers stopped making WoW clones. After that, Blizzard was forced to 'innovate' (mainly by stealing systems from their other games, D3 primarily). Blizzard was always great at taking other people's ideas and refining them for mass appeal, but when it comes to innovating, they stink. They are the David Benioff and D. B. Weiss of video game companies.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
WoW was a very deliberate refinement of other existing games. It was not good by accident. The only accident was what a wide appeal it had, they had 6x their high-end estimate of players within the first 2 years.

They then failed to innovate for 10+ years, which should not be a surprise, as the product was iterative rather than innovative in the first place.

You should read his blog update about getting back to the office being a positive because it means he can process refunds faster.

It would be funny if he wasn't actually salty and yet maintains a facade otherwise like he's unbothered and looking forward to the future. I think New World sort of just put the nail in the coffin. It has all the gameplay Camelot was going to offer.

I'll dig it up later.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's from the Stonewall glossary, Stonewall are the main LGBT advocacy group in the UK. They run all kinds of diversity schemes and training.

"

Trans​

An umbrella term to describe people whose gender is not the same as, or does not sit comfortably with, the sex they were assigned at birth.

Trans people may describe themselves using one or more of a wide variety of terms, including (but not limited to) transgender, transsexual, gender-queer (GQ), gender-fluid, non-binary, gender-variant, crossdresser, genderless, agender, nongender, third gender, bi-gender, trans man, trans woman,trans masculine, trans feminine and neutrois." Glossary of terms
NVM, explained later in thread.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider

This whole episode continues to deliver. The association of changing names inside a video game to some triumph related to "human rights" is a triumph. Blizzard must be so proud of these virtue achievements.

the-older-i-get-the-more-i-identify-with-red-forman-1460386426.jpg

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
So is Jim Carrey a transphobe, or is only referencing it transphobic?
First it was one, now it's both. Tomorrow there will be another thing added to it.

I fully expect this woke thing to die like the the People's Front of Judea in Life of Brian. Or was it Judean People's Front?