Blood Bowl

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Interesting game, although I'm very bad at it right now. I sort of get the mechanics (a little bit) but positioning strategy.... not so much.
Positioning is probably one of the hardest parts of the game. It's almost like a chess match, where you need to think several moves ahead and try to predict where your opponent is going to place his pieces in relation to yours. I'm still pretty bad at it as well, but it gets easier with practice.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Did we ever get more people for the test tournament? Last time I checked, mine was the only team there.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Did we ever get more people for the test tournament? Last time I checked, mine was the only team there.
You are still the only team there. Still need 2-3 more, but I figured the holidays were interfering with stuff, so was gonna give it a little bit here.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
No problem...if it rolls over into the 12th-18th, you might have to use my team as a no-show test or get someone to replace me, though. I've got a business trip that week and don't think Blood Bowl will run on my laptop.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Applied with a Necromantic and Nurgle team (Extreme MXC, Mutant Nurgle Turtles). Can't decide what to play bleh.

Hedeon

Molten Core Raider
I'd offer to help test but I work during most prime time game hours and my days off aren't predictable, so I can't really promise 4-5 days of hot gaming action.

badlok

N00b
I would love to play with you guys but i don't even have the time to play the season we start with my friends , maybe later this spring

badlok

N00b
Interesting game, although I'm very bad at it right now. I sort of get the mechanics (a little bit) but positioning strategy.... not so much.
it help a lot when you have a friend to help you and showw you your mistakes , couple of friends of mine almost quit because of this but we train them and now they just love the game!

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
So I had a fantastic match with Obilio last night, my orcs vs his lizardmen. After the conversations on here and in IRC with a lot of the new guys having some questions about positioning and strategy and tactics, I felt this was an excellent match to put up to get the inexperienced players thinking in ways they hadn't before. I reloaded the replay and tried to keep the camera covering the action on the field from a good perspective, and then sped it up during the thinking times (and jesus, there were a lot of them..this was a long game).

It's about an hour shortened down, but a pretty good watch. Pretty exciting at points, and a lot of back and forth. I know there were a couple times I felt I had things under control nicely and Obilio pissed all over that idea with some 1 agi dodges. I'm sure there were points he felt the same.

For inducements, I had a wizard, a bribe, and a bloodweiser babe, and I won the toss and kicked first. Obilio had a journeyman skink to replace an injured Saurus

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Did somebody say Cage?

rrr_img_7113.jpg

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I'm enjoying the game even more now that my team has leveled up some (mostly 3s now), but I almost had my first major injury when the computer killed one of my level 3 Berserkers. Luckily, I still had my Apothecary and he ended up with no time missed. It's weird...I had no idea how much time a single game took until I had to go back to work. Time flies playing this game.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I'm enjoying the game even more now that my team has leveled up some (mostly 3s now), but I almost had my first major injury when the computer killed one of my level 3 Berserkers. Luckily, I still had my Apothecary and he ended up with no time missed. It's weird...I had no idea how much time a single game took until I had to go back to work. Time flies playing this game.
I can churn thru a SP game in 30-45 minutes, mostly because the AI doesn't give you too much you really need to work against. I block, I move the ball, I foul, next turn. But vs other people, I think that match above with Obilio was like an hour and a half. Gets intense when you know that something like a failed dodge early in your turn is gonna lose you the game.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I think I'm closer to 45min-1hr, but I spend a lot of time trying to maximize hits on the opposition. I might need to move it from Medium to Hard, though, because (although my offense still putters around some) my defense rarely gives up a score.

With that said (and because of the picture a couple posts up), does anyone have a good website for cage descriptions and theory. All the ones I've found refer to pictures that don't exist anymore. I started with a full, tight cage where my guy was completely surrounded on all sides...while that was safe, I'd get trapped a lot and moving the ball was too slow. So, the last couple games I've went to the X cage, with one guy on each corner. It works fine, but it seems like there should be a better way and I want to see if something else is out there before I sit down and plot something out myself.

Now that I have a thrower and a couple good receivers, this isn't as much of an issue, but for a pure ground and pound team, it's essential.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I think I'm closer to 45min-1hr, but I spend a lot of time trying to maximize hits on the opposition. I might need to move it from Medium to Hard, though, because (although my offense still putters around some) my defense rarely gives up a score.

With that said (and because of the picture a couple posts up), does anyone have a good website for cage descriptions and theory. All the ones I've found refer to pictures that don't exist anymore. I started with a full, tight cage where my guy was completely surrounded on all sides...while that was safe, I'd get trapped a lot and moving the ball was too slow. So, the last couple games I've went to the X cage, with one guy on each corner. It works fine, but it seems like there should be a better way and I want to see if something else is out there before I sit down and plot something out myself.

Now that I have a thrower and a couple good receivers, this isn't as much of an issue, but for a pure ground and pound team, it's essential.
Hard is widely regarded as the easiest difficulty setting, because hard actually adjusts the AI to be more conservative and more risk averse. Therefore, if you apply a lot of pressure on them, they're likely to run backwards rather than forwards, because they don't want to lose the ball. They're also unlikely to try a 5+ pass that could change the game, for the same reason. Try on easy, it's the most risky AI set -- they aren't deterred by making multiple dodge rolls every turn and making risky plays. Yes, they fail more, but they will also catch you with your pants down from time to time.

All that being said, having played you already, I can see you're at a skill level where playing the AI is just fun, it's not going to improve your ability too much. You'll get the chance to try out new skills and different builds and create just awesome teams because your best guys will never get targeted for execution and gang fouls, but there's a tactics level for beating the AI that you've already surpassed.

As far as cages go, you don't want one that's too tight. The full cage (ball carrier completely surrounded) isn't that great because it's real easy to push a corner, and then chain push the ball carrier out of it. The X cage is probably more widely used -- provides some wiggle room for pushes, and with Guards on the corner, it can be pretty well unbreakable against anything other than a leap, stunty wrestler, hypnotic gaze, or the rare 5+ str break tackle guys. Also remember that the more guys you commit to a cage, the less you have out in the field tying up other players. If you've got an X cage, the opponent should have you outnumbered 11 to 6 elsewhere, and that's not always that easy to advance under. Be mindful of where your opponent can get to and where he can't...if he can't get to the back corner of the cage, you don't need that guy there, he can be providing assists elsewhere.

The better way you're looking for is probably the screen -- just place guys in a wide arc, 2 squares apart, and maybe a couple rings deep. That way, the opponent has a choice of blitzing a hole in the screen, or having to dodge to blitz your ball carrier. It provides more room for mobility, at the expense of if your opponent gets lucky with a cas blitzing the hole, he can potentially get a lot of TZ's on the ball carrier, which leave you with shitty decisions -- dodge or pass in TZ's.

There's not gonna be one sure fire "Best" way, because both have their weaknesses. Which is good for the game, actually.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Good info, thanks. And I agree. I'd get bored quick if there was one, sure-fire way that was going to work every time.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I bought CE last night, I will be making a Khorne team tonight. Word is they suck but I am intrigued.

badlok

N00b
I bought CE last night, I will be making a Khorne team tonight. Word is they suck but I am intrigued.
My 2 teams in the original edition are Chaos ( main) and Dwarf (secound) so i was all exited to have the Chaos dwarf but was kind of disapointed with them , well i just play 2 games in a campaign but still