Blood Bowl

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Oh god why did I click this thread. I bought the LE a year or so ago when it was on sale. Played about 10 partial games and then uninstalled it in frustration. Reading through this makes me want to give it another shot. I know I'm either going to get sucked in, or flip the fuck out.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I can honestly say it's a lot better playing against other people. It's so much more satisifying when someone else flips the fuck out over a bad string of rolls and so you don't feel like holding back when it also happens to you.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Also, I will play a second team if we need it for the numbers to work out.
Yeah, doesn't work that way, because you'd have to play yourself at some point. I don't think it will allow multiple teams in a structured league. I might be wrong, though.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I love playing Orcs.

rrr_img_7978.jpg

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
Would be down as well, very new but this thread got me to buy this game so why not. Been messing around with a skaven team mostly.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
7 cheer, 4 coaches from that SS.

Yeah, you can do that vs the AI, but against other people, you want your team as low a value as possible while still being effective at doing what you do. Here, I'll explain why.

Cheerleaders are used for exactly one purpose -- the cheering fans result on the kickoff table. This means that every time there's a kickoff, there's a 2d6 roll. If it comes up a 6, your cheerleaders are useful, and they will probably get you an extra reroll. Seems good, until you realize that 7 cheerleaders adds 70 to your team value. A reroll for most teams is 50 or 60 (there are a few teams where it's 70, but no team where it's 80). Therefore, you get more bang for the buck just buying an extra reroll rather than having the cheerleaders who potentially have no value (if a kickoff never comes up as a 6). Assistant coaches are exactly the same, only their kickoff roll is an 8.

And rerolls are kind of a playstyle thing. Some people use more, some use less. I try to keep it to 3 TRR maximum, maybe a Leader on certain teams. There are a lot of times you're not gonna use a reroll, and reroll management is an important factor of the game too. Using fewer forces you to make better decisions and play less risky, which makes you a better player. As I said before, the rerolls also add TV (60 each for orcs).

So, I'll end it with some math. Lets take your team, and my hypothetical team who has the exact same player composition and skills. You have 7 cheerleaders, 4 assistant coaches, and 8 rerolls. I have 0, 0, and 3. The total costs of our team and players are the same -- we have the same players with the same skills. But, you have 70+40+300 extra team value over me. That means I get 410k in inducements when we play. That's a wizard, a bloodweiser babe, and 2 bribes. Or, it's Ripper (the troll Star player) and ALMOST enough for a wizard. When the game starts, there's a pretty decent chance you'll get an extra reroll on the kickoff. But whether you do or not, I've got all my inducements, and our teams are exactly equal. That's a large advantage you're giving me for the chance of rolling a 6 or an 8 and getting a reroll you might not even use.

So yeah, TV is actually pretty important in the grand scheme of things. I'd never do something like cut a level 5 player because my TV is too high, because that's not what I'm saying here. He provides a value to the team, it's quantifiable and he's there all the time (well, if he doesn't get injured, that is). The stuff that doesn't is the questionable stuff where you can trim TV and actually be better off as a result.

Save your money for when your star blitzer dies and a black orc gets a fucking -str in the same game and you need to replace them both. It'll happen sooner or later.

moontayle

Golden Squire
7 and 4, judging by the list on the side of the screen.

That Blitzer is a beast. +1 to strength AND Mighty Blow... I bet people fall over just looking at him.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I have another Blitzer with +2 agi and +2 str. He has guard (the first skill I got with him). If I could go back in time and give him Mighty Blow...

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Handling disconnects shouldn't be too bad. The game is really good about giving some time (4 minute countdown I think?) and reconnecting if your internet comes back up. Seems like if you have an opponent disconnect, you're required to wait the full countdown and if the opponent doesn't come back it counts as a win for you and a loss for the opponent. Sucks, but hey, that's the nature of playinganythingover the Internet.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I have another Blitzer with +2 agi and +2 str. He has guard (the first skill I got with him). If I could go back in time and give him Mighty Blow...
He's useful the way he is. I'd give him stand firm probably last, since you already have guard. He'd then be an extremely mobile, unmovable guard. No one's gonna shift a 5 str guy with stand firm. Killers need MB/Pile On and either frenzy or tackle to be truly good anyway.

Handling disconnects shouldn't be too bad. The game is really good about giving some time (4 minute countdown I think?) and reconnecting if your internet comes back up. Seems like if you have an opponent disconnect, you're required to wait the full countdown and if the opponent doesn't come back it counts as a win for you and a loss for the opponent. Sucks, but hey, that's the nature of playinganythingover the Internet.
No, you don't reconnect from a true DC. The timer will count down for lag, but the game doesn't let you reconnect. If one of you drops, that's it, game is over.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Disconnect Rule Suggestions:
If it happens in the first half, replay.
If it happens in the second half and the losing team disconnects, award win to leader.
If it happens in the second half and the winning team disconnects, replay unless losing team concedes.
If someone disconnects after a severe injury/death, they get a warning and removed from the league if it happens again. (I guess the warning could reset after the season or something?)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I think we should STRONGLY consider 2 Minute Turns. It will cut the game time down to about an hour, that is much more manageable when trying to connect with someone during your/their busy week.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I think we should STRONGLY consider 2 Minute Turns. It will cut the game time down to about an hour, that is much more manageable when trying to connect with someone during your/their busy week.
Optional already.

Df~_sl

shitlord
So I havent gotten around to playing multiplayer, just computer for now and I love it. Tried playing Orcs to start for a while then switched over to Undead and had a blast...

Playing in campaign mode. Can I actually buy star players at some point or just rent them for a game?

I get the idea behind keeping your TV low and using Inducements to secure the same benefits. I did fuck up on my ghoul builds though... but now I have two passers and two catchers.

Tried Orcs/Undead/Lizardmen
Any other teams I should try?

I prefer bashy over agility but also like having a passing option (think I may have to go back to orcs...) Though I do really love double mummies rather than big guy!

Also, does anyone have an extra steam copy of this available? Missed the sale and want to get one or two to give to friends!

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
My skaven team on Single Player Campaign is so OP. 3 GR with +1 move and Sprint = 1st turn touch downs from my side of the pitch every time. Love the rats.