Bloodborne

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Alright so I'm at the point where I can talk to Gehrman to get an ending and start an NG+. Before I do though I wanna get as much done as I can/should that carries over or is worth doing before hand.

I have not run any chalice dungeons or joined a covenant so I guess I should do that stuff but what else is there that I might miss if I go ahead with NG+?

Umbilical cord are the main thing as Noodle said, make sure you consume 3 of them before you finish if you want the alternate endings / boss.

There's quite a few secret areas in the game, best thing is probably to check off what you've done against Bloodborne Cheat Sheet

Did you go to cainhurst?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The chalice dungeons you have running will carry over into new game cycles, if you've killed all the boss's that give "trophies" your pretty much done, unless you want to run thru and try and grab the rest of the tools..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Alright so I'm at the point where I can talk to Gehrman to get an ending and start an NG+. Before I do though I wanna get as much done as I can/should that carries over or is worth doing before hand.

I have not run any chalice dungeons or joined a covenant so I guess I should do that stuff but what else is there that I might miss if I go ahead with NG+?

Do you have the DLC? This is probably way way too late, but I suggest doing the DLC on your first play through. I had gotten the platinum on vanilla and jumped to NG+ and got absolutely pasted in the DLC on that. But then again, I'll admit that it took me multiple tries to kill each boss, so mileage may definitely vary if you didn't struggle so much.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Don't have the DLC yet. Should probably pick that up so I can get my OP pizza cutter.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Do you have the DLC? This is probably way way too late, but I suggest doing the DLC on your first play through. I had gotten the platinum on vanilla and jumped to NG+ and got absolutely pasted in the DLC on that. But then again, I'll admit that it took me multiple tries to kill each boss, so mileage may definitely vary if you didn't struggle so much.

Nope, DLC NG+ is insanely difficult.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I feel the DLC in general is much harder than the normal game. Its also fantastic.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel the DLC in general is much harder than the normal game. Its also fantastic.

It was when I started a new character for the sole purpose of doing it in NG difficulty lol. Although the lore of it made no sense to me (was just way too all over the place in a timeline sense for me), the locations were cool, the level design was cool, and the bosses were amazing.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't have the DLC yet. Should probably pick that up so I can get my OP pizza cutter.

Yes pick that up before you beat it. It's worth playing through for sure, and by worth playing through, I mean it's like skipping out on some of the best content the entire package has to offer.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
It was when I started a new character for the sole purpose of doing it in NG difficulty lol. Although the lore of it made no sense to me (was just way too all over the place in a timeline sense for me), the locations were cool, the level design was cool, and the bosses were amazing.

I always liked the hunters nightmare and the effect of hunting and blood on them as a theme.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I liked that part the most by and far, as far as theme and lore goes. It was a warped and twisted version of the real world. They started to lose me when you fought the boss in the clock tower, and the village. All the major pieces were there but I could never get them to line up in a way that made sense, so like the main game, I just read one of the nerd translations and picked my favorite theory. I know that's Miziaki's way of doing things, but that part of these games is something I'm just not a huge fan of. Don't mind pulling lore off item descriptions and what not, that part is cool, but the major gaps kind of annoy me. Especially in a game that has a very complicated back story like Bloodborne.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I liked that part the most by and far, as far as theme and lore goes. It was a warped and twisted version of the real world. They started to lose me when you fought the boss in the clock tower, and the village. All the major pieces were there but I could never get them to line up in a way that made sense, so like the main game, I just read one of the nerd translations and picked my favorite theory. I know that's Miziaki's way of doing things, but that part of these games is something I'm just not a huge fan of. Don't mind pulling lore off item descriptions and what not, that part is cool, but the major gaps kind of annoy me. Especially in a game that has a very complicated back story like Bloodborne.

I always got the impression they were trying to birth another great one there.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Yes they were..
There is alot more you can figure out, reading item descriptions and stuff, but the nightmare is a massive cover-up by the healing church, and the first hunters...(I still think Gherman is Orphan)

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm

Yeah I feel the same. I played BB on a friends recommendation, and near the end I mentioned to him that I was waiting for everything to be tied up together and told him what I thought (first soulsbourne game i played , 100% blind and no internet help), and he was like er ... nope, they dont tell you shit and the story is just what you get on items and to make sure I picked up three umbilical cords and I was like wtf is an umbilical cord. I feel the story was just way too loose and deliberately obtuse at the end when it had such potential at the start, and I realise thats the creators style, but I would have preferred it to be more overt. And honestly the fan-boyism is a little irritating in this regard, like people are saying the dolls dress is similar to the winter lantern's and this is all done intentionally and there's some big plotline behind it, like every small detail has to mean something and it was deliberately put there by Miyazaki. Its a bit obnoxious.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I feel the same. I played BB on a friends recommendation, and near the end I mentioned to him that I was waiting for everything to be tied up together and told him what I thought (first soulsbourne game i played , 100% blind and no internet help), and he was like er ... nope, they dont tell you shit and the story is just what you get on items and to make sure I picked up three umbilical cords and I was like wtf is an umbilical cord. I feel the story was just way too loose and deliberately obtuse at the end when it had such potential at the start, and I realise thats the creators style, but I would have preferred it to be more overt. And honestly the fan-boyism is a little irritating in this regard, like people are saying the dolls dress is similar to the winter lantern's and this is all done intentionally and there's some big plotline behind it, like every small detail has to mean something and it was deliberately put there by Miyazaki. Its a bit obnoxious.
VaatiVidya is one of my favorite YouTubers. He might become one of yours too if you want some more explicit storytelling in Miyazaki games.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Someone took the time to write this 90 page doc on their theory on the story. It's massive, but was pretty cool. But again, and even VaatVydia falls into this, there are so many gaps that most of it is conjecture. I guess I liked the doc more.. I'll post a link as soon as I get it. I will admit though, I think it's the tone shift that turned me off more than anything. I actually liked the Gothic horror stuff they take you down in the beginning more than the Lovecraft stuff in the second half. While I got over it eventually and learned to (mostly) appreciate it, the style of levels post change were definitely worse for me (Especially Nightmare Frontier).

Here's one that is not on Reddit (which is shitting the bed currently)

Paleblood Hunt-Finalized

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Someone took the time to write this 90 page doc on their theory on the story. It's massive, but was pretty cool. But again, and even VaatVydia falls into this, there are so many gaps that most of it is conjecture. I guess I liked the doc more.. I'll post a link as soon as I get it. I will admit though, I think it's the tone shift that turned me off more than anything. I actually liked the Gothic horror stuff they take you down in the beginning more than the Lovecraft stuff in the second half. While I got over it eventually and learned to (mostly) appreciate it, the style of levels post change were definitely worse for me (Especially Nightmare Frontier).

Here's one that is not on Reddit (which is shitting the bed currently)

Paleblood Hunt-Finalized

I really liked the Analysis and parts of the game just feed into it. Especially insight making you see more fucked up shit and giving enemies different abilities the more Lovecraftian stuff you are able to perceive.

The nutshell story is just man meddling in forces far beyond their control or comprehension. Which is cool by itself as the Hunter (you) are forced into the Hunt for reasons unknown and go down and down the rabbit hole of madness.

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
I wish they would announce a PC release. Would love to play this again on my new gaming rig..