Board Games

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, few of the pieces are reasonable, though I wonder what it compares to some of the services that pop up and offer to buy Ikea and bring it over from another state. I saw it earlier and was like... we didn't pay $300 for our Kallax did we !?

People go nuts over that stuff though.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
If you like deckbuilder w/ a board (Clank, Trains, Tyrants of the Underdark) look at Path of Light and Shadow. Really enjoying this. The only complaint I have about the game so far is it ends and tallies points after 12 turns. Just when your engine really starts to optimize. Ranks with Tyrants as my favorite deckbuilding game atm.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My favorite deck builder at the moment is Mystic Vale. I like the push your luck aspect and the way you create cards. It's not just another Dominion reskin.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My favorite deck builder at the moment is Mystic Vale. I like the push your luck aspect and the way you create cards. It's not just another Dominion reskin.

Mines definitely Aeons End. Fast paced, cool mechanics, and the best playtested game of any genre I’ve played. Nearly every game is down to the wire win/lose, it’s crazy. Some games start out seem so lop-sided and you feel fucked or OP, and it always manages to correct itself by the end.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Aeons end had been my recent go to as well. I still break out Xenoshyft and lately El Dorato which i really like.

I've been looking for a Euro that i can tolerate. My buddy has terraforming mars and it's just ok for me. Honestly the theme is really they only thing i like. I've played a few other point salad games and they just seem so...pointlessly fiddly. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to have some euro that i can tolerate when I'm hosting. I'd like it to take not forever and setup and teardown shouldn't be wise than something like Cosmic Encounters.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Aeons end had been my recent go to as well. I still break out Xenoshyft and lately El Dorato which i really like.

I've been looking for a Euro that i can tolerate. My buddy has terraforming mars and it's just ok for me. Honestly the theme is really they only thing i like. I've played a few other point salad games and they just seem so...pointlessly fiddly. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to have some euro that i can tolerate when I'm hosting. I'd like it to take not forever and setup and teardown shouldn't be wise than something like Cosmic Encounters.

I don’t really like Euros either. I’ve only played two...lords of Waterdeep, and Euphoria. They weren’t horrible or anything but you just place cubes down in certain places and add up points. They were too easy to me, the only times I’ve played them were against people who play euros all the time, midway through the game I’d figure out my strategy, and just do it the rest of the game, while they did theirs, and I won cause...points.

So out of those two, I’d say lords of Waterdeep had cooler components, euphoria had a cooler board. Sorry I couldn’t recommend better, I’m not really a fan either.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Check out Yedo. It's like Lords of Waterdeep but good! has much better theme to it that really works, unlike Lords which feels like collecting and placing cubes

Brand

Molten Core Raider

For Terraforming Mars, are you playing the draft format? That kicks the game up a notch from being okay to really good.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
Best euro - Argent the Consortium, by lvl99 games. Look it up on BGG. Great gameplay, rediculous replayability as almost all components are double sided. Its not fast, and it takes up big table space but it is great.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I tried out Ticket to Ride: Europe with my parents and my wife, and we had a good time. I've got a copy of Ticket to Ride that was given to me at Christmas, but what else is somewhat similar that I can spring on to some non-board-gaming-friends for a decent evening?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So I tried out Ticket to Ride: Europe with my parents and my wife, and we had a good time. I've got a copy of Ticket to Ride that was given to me at Christmas, but what else is somewhat similar that I can spring on to some non-board-gaming-friends for a decent evening?

Catan, Dominion, Code Names, Citadels are all pretty good board games for non-board gamers.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
uh Catan and Dominion are punishingly complex for people who haven't played a game other than Monopoly.

There's a lot of "easy" games like Sushi Go that probably fit the bill. My favorite genre is hidden role/social deduction and I love introducing people to it as they are completely taken aback when they realize they have to lie to their friends and family to play the game.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
With newer non gamer folks I prefer games with short play times. It allows folks to learn a practice game quickly and if its a hit you get multiple games in. Some suggestions from my collection...

Deception Murder in Hong Kong
Sheriff of Nottingham
Love Letter
Dixit
Tsuro

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
Just finished up at Bunnycon, 4 games of boardgaming fun. So exhausting after too many late nights and whole days spent straining my brain. Didn't play as many new games as I would have liked but got to play pulsar 2849 which I enjoyed. Dice drafting and playing game to control pulsars, so bit like Marco Polo mixed with a dash of Sagrada and an element of Terra Mystica. Picked up The Fugitive at the flee market, a quick 2 player deduction game. Also played our tradition game of Game of Thrones. Madly my Tyrells got blind sided by the Greyjoys which ruined all my plans and let Baratheons march their way to victory.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user