Board Games

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, you really need to work together a bit more rather than a laid back game. Shit gets deep quick and next thing you know you've lost (though for us it was then to figure out which rule we failed to understand/follow).

I was passing our new encounters every round... something you only do once per scene, which could have several rounds. We were getting crushed.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Severe thunderstorms and flooding has cancled the first day of Meeplecon here. Makes me sad :(
Hopefully it can sorted out so Sat and Sun go ahead.

scratch that. whole weekend is canceled. What a massive bummer.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For my own depression - for some reason FedEx says it's going to take until Thursday for my Fallout Board Game to get here, was so amped for it this weekend. (It's coming from the next county over for Christ's sake)

Vaclav

And my copy of Fallout got here - a day after a friend dropped me a copy as a gift, lol....

To return it or resell... decisions, decisions...

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Got Gloomhaven today. I knew it would be big, but sheesh, lol.

upload_2017-12-7_19-44-0.png

upload_2017-12-7_19-44-15.png

upload_2017-12-7_19-44-36.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Sigh - reminding me I forgot to get on board for 2nd Edition KS - has it already sold out at retail or the retail release running slower than expected?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Not sure.

There's so much to this, but at the same time I really want to see if my group really takes to it before spending like $50+ (more like $80) on a nice organizer.

It seems like my group has really fallen off when it comes to complex games and playing games over and over. Dark Souls was a big miss (and I have like another $200 in addons still coming for it) and a number of other Kickstarters have fallen flat due to complexity or lack of interest getting familiar enough to overcome early problems (currently Dragonfire). Seafall was a big nope due to too many not liking mechanics.

Think the last thing we really played heavily is Battlestar Galactica.

One of them had a kid, so we should have 4 more often, hope we can finish up Pandemic Legacy so we can get the new one - and of course get into Gloomhaven. Of course I say that as 5-6 have indicated they're in for tomorrow night :p

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure.

There's so much to this, but at the same time I really want to see if my group really takes to it before spending like $50+ (more like $80) on a nice organizer.

It seems like my group has really fallen off when it comes to complex games and playing games over and over. Dark Souls was a big miss (and I have like another $200 in addons still coming for it) and a number of other Kickstarters have fallen flat due to complexity or lack of interest getting familiar enough to overcome early problems (currently Dragonfire). Seafall was a big nope due to too many not liking mechanics.

Think the last thing we really played heavily is Battlestar Galactica.

One of them had a kid, so we should have 4 more often, hope we can finish up Pandemic Legacy so we can get the new one - and of course get into Gloomhaven. Of course I say that as 5-6 have indicated they're in for tomorrow night :p

I highly recommend Aeons End. All of the expansions and the big standalone are fantastic. It’s been a big hit with everyone I’ve played it with, the learning curve takes only a couple rounds, it’s very easy to pick up. It’s also deep without being complicated, lots of replay value due to large pool of cards to pick from, and was very intensely playtested. The games are always down to the wire.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Well, found out my extra copy of Fallout can't be returned in store unless I drive to the warehouse store which isn't worth the effort to drive to (would cost me as much in time and gas as shipping it to them would run me) - so I'm going to try selling it online first.

I'll take any offers here for it (it's unopened, still in the packing box even - I'll just open it to remove the CSI packing slip and repack it) for a couple days before I toss it up on Ebay. It cost me just shy of retail with shipping, would just want to recoup my cost at a minimum - so $59+Shipping from FL.

If multiple parties are interested, obviously I'll go with the highest - but not concerned as long as I recover my cost.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Do you have a board game trading facebook page or group in your area? Maybe even bgg might be better option. Gets it in front of people who would want it and saves ebay fees and crap

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well, found out my extra copy of Fallout can't be returned in store unless I drive to the warehouse store which isn't worth the effort to drive to (would cost me as much in time and gas as shipping it to them would run me) - so I'm going to try selling it online first.

I'll take any offers here for it (it's unopened, still in the packing box even - I'll just open it to remove the CSI packing slip and repack it) for a couple days before I toss it up on Ebay. It cost me just shy of retail with shipping, would just want to recoup my cost at a minimum - so $59+Shipping from FL.

If multiple parties are interested, obviously I'll go with the highest - but not concerned as long as I recover my cost.
I may be interested, need to take a closer look first

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yep, super keen for Charterstone. Viticulture is probably my favourite game ever, so I have a huge amount of faith in Jamey.

We started playing Charterstone last night. Was a strange start to a game but we really got into it and the whole nature of how you learn / rules change as you go along. Played the first three games of the campaign and had a blast.

Note: none of us watched the video or had any knowledge heading into the game which really made it much more fun as we were completely blind as to what things meant and how our decisions in the first game would effect things overall.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
We started playing Charterstone last night. Was a strange start to a game but we really got into it and the whole nature of how you learn / rules change as you go along. Played the first three games of the campaign and had a blast.

Note: none of us watched the video or had any knowledge heading into the game which really made it much more fun as we were completely blind as to what things meant and how our decisions in the first game would effect things overall.

I think my group is 7 games in now, this may top Pandemic Season 1 for my favorite legacy game. The story is definitely lighter and the WOW moments are probably less big than pandemic so far (but they do exist and have created lots of excitement, but I dont want to spoil anything in either game to offer a better/clearer comparison).

For disclosure, Viticulture and Scythe are two of my favorite games, so I am a bit of a Stonemaier fan boy. I think the biggest sign of how much I like it, however, is that I am both pumped to see how our board finishes and play it after the campaign ends AND to buy the recharge pack and play through again on the other side of the board (the base game comes with a doublesided board so if you play through twice, you will have two totally different boards).

If you like Eurogames and especially if you like previous Stonemaier offerings, get Charterstone. The story is light, watching your board grow looks and feels amazing, the unlocks feel meaningful. The peaks (for the most part) aren't as high as Pandemic Season 1, but I think the baseline fun is higher (personal preference of euro vs fully public info coop) and I don't think anything has happened yet that I would consider a valley. I can't wait to get it back on the table to finish it.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I just got my heavy hitters in the mail, haven't even opened it yet. Anything you can compare it to? I feel like I have a ton of other games before I get around to playing it...

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Local game shop has a copy of Cthulhu Wars for $129 which seems like a pretty good price. Anyone who picked it up have any comments at the staying power and if the xpacs are needed to make it a full experience or if the core game is enough?