Board Games

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played wingspan last night. Would recommend. It's probably not as good as the hype but it's an enjoyable experience.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
still waiting for my copy of Tapestry to ship, havent even gotten the shipping notification yet. I live about 2 hours from St Louis (where Stonemeir Games is HQ'ed) so figured I would get mine early as opposed to late

got Tapestry, Tainted Grail and Too Many Bones all supposed to ship soon and nothing on updates.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
still waiting for my copy of Tapestry to ship, havent even gotten the shipping notification yet. I live about 2 hours from St Louis (where Stonemeir Games is HQ'ed) so figured I would get mine early as opposed to late

got Tapestry, Tainted Grail and Too Many Bones all supposed to ship soon and nothing on updates.

I got my copy of Tapestry yesterday with no shipping notice beforehand. Haven't been able to open it yet but it's got a good weight to the box.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We got tapestry in two weeks back in the midwest.

Fun game as long as you can tolerate "THAT'S SOME FUCKING BULLSHIT" moments. The random is strong in this one, but not so strong as to drown out player choice (for the most part, opening hand Renaissance is generating scores 100+ higher than anything else, so that card may need a bit of a nerf bat). The bullshit exclamations more often involve laughter than anger, so far. 5th player seems to slow the game down exponentially, particularly since the last player has to figure out just wtf they're going to do to win when other people have already pushed for the early Monuments on all 4 tracks. There's not really any kind of compensatory benefit for the player who goes later in the turn order, aside from slightly increased odds to get a Building Tile out of Explore after other folks have thinned the pile a bit.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

Tainted Grail is in production, is suppose to be on the boats in October, which means you should receive the game late Oct/November.

Too Many Bones.....are you talking about the S&D kickstarter, or did you order from the website? If you ordered from the website, they should give you a tracking number after about a week after your order. If you are talking about the KS, it depends if you did 1 or 2 wave shipping. If you did 1 wave shipping, you aren't going to get anything until first quarter 2020. If you did 2 wave shipping, then you should get a notice for the base stuff relatively soon.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I did the Too Many Bones KS , didnt get the splice and dice stuff, just the base game and Undertow. Not sure which wave of shipping I am in.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

They don't ship their own stuff. Isn't team covenant handling this like they did the bird one?

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure on that, this is the first thing ive bought directly from Stonemeir. Everything else was on Amazon

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I did the Too Many Bones KS , didnt get the splice and dice stuff, just the base game and Undertow. Not sure which wave of shipping I am in.

If you only got the older stuff, then my guess is you should be receiving it soon. CTG uses QM Logistics, and currently they are shipping Trickerion Special Edition or someshit, and TMB is next in their queue, so I would expect they will start shipping the TMB stuff in the next week or two.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
That would be awesome

My Tapestry showed up today. Got the ship notification yesterday. It did ship out of St Louis, so they must have some kinda warehouse there now for shipping Stonemeir stuff, but it was pretty quick

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Earlier this week I got to play two games that were new to me.

First was Clank (I know, I am behind the times). It's a perfectly fine take on the deck building genre. I like the Mystic Vale style deck building a bit better. The movement was a cool mechanic but didn't add tons and I felt like it was kind of lackluster. I would play it again but I think there are better deckbuilders out there to play and the "one row" deckbuilders are probably not going to beat Star Realms any time soon.

Second was Tapestry. We were all pretty noobish so the strategies weren't great. There was a large disparity in VP at the end of the game but I think a lot of that was the fault of the players. For example, my random board I chose one where for round 1 of the game I choose a player and a track and every time they go up on that track, I go up as well. I chose player 1 (which was a fine choice) but I didn't know enough to look at his board and I chose the science track, he had an exploration race and explored every time. So some of the disparity was definitely us not knowing enough about the game. As far as an engine builder it has some new mechanics but really mashes up the engine builder with area control very well. I would definitely play this one 4-5 more times. It almost reminded me of playing a mash up of Through the Ages and Cyclades.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
We have played about 10 2-player games of Tapestry. I like it, its relatively quick compared to other stuff we normally play (1 - 1.5 hours) but there is MASSIVE amounts of RNG in it. As long as you go in knowing it I think its pretty fun. Some of the civs are really strong and some are based around other people doing certain things, and if they dont then you wont score well. Some require certain Tapestry cards to really shine, and if you dont get them you wont score well. Some arent really balanced for a 2 player game and would need 4-5 players to compete well.

Some of the tapestry cards are the same way, getting a good card at the wrong time basically means zero points for it and there are some that just Wont synergize well with your Civ at all, and you will have to spend resources to try and get others or just eat the loss in points and do other stuff with your abilities.

We only score about 140-180 points for the winner, Ive got no idea how some people are scoring over 300 (some claim to do it “regularly”) but I feel we are playing the rules correctly and all that. The rules are vague enough that I think its easy to be playing incorrectly, which could really bloat up your score. I feel its a pretty lightweight game once you get the swing of it that has good replay-ability and nice components. I feel it was worth the money and will be in our rotation

Too Many Bones showed up the other day, so working through the rules on that one and hoping to get our first playthrough in this weekend, in between football games.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Earlier this week I got to play two games that were new to me.

First was Clank (I know, I am behind the times). It's a perfectly fine take on the deck building genre. I like the Mystic Vale style deck building a bit better. The movement was a cool mechanic but didn't add tons and I felt like it was kind of lackluster. I would play it again but I think there are better deckbuilders out there to play and the "one row" deckbuilders are probably not going to beat Star Realms any time soon.

Second was Tapestry. We were all pretty noobish so the strategies weren't great. There was a large disparity in VP at the end of the game but I think a lot of that was the fault of the players. For example, my random board I chose one where for round 1 of the game I choose a player and a track and every time they go up on that track, I go up as well. I chose player 1 (which was a fine choice) but I didn't know enough to look at his board and I chose the science track, he had an exploration race and explored every time. So some of the disparity was definitely us not knowing enough about the game. As far as an engine builder it has some new mechanics but really mashes up the engine builder with area control very well. I would definitely play this one 4-5 more times. It almost reminded me of playing a mash up of Through the Ages and Cyclades.
I have and play Clank! In Space! and even though everyone really enjoys it no one ever asks to play it. It's strange. I'm not good at it but i really like it. The setup time does suck however. It seems like that is more common these days. Long setup times are a bane of modern gaming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think I would ever request to play Clank but I wouldn't walk away from the table if it got slapped down either. I hear the space one is more modular donut makes the game more replayable, is that true?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have and play Clank! In Space! and even though everyone really enjoys it no one ever asks to play it. It's strange. I'm not good at it but i really like it. The setup time does suck however. It seems like that is more common these days. Long setup times are a bane of modern gaming.

I wish more companies would consider this when designing their packaging. Dice Throne season 2 is a perfect example. It's a game with hundreds of cards, a ton of cardboard chits, and ~50 dice. You can open the box, select characters, and be completely set up and playing within 60 seconds. It really is a deciding factor sometimes when we are choosing to play something, especially if we have a limited time window or don't have time to set up beforehand. We've been able to fit in game nights from the time my kid goes to bed at 9pm, even when we have to work in the morning, because the setup and tear down times are so fast. It just isn't feasible with a game that takes 20-40 minutes to set up and tear down.

• 1Solidarity

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think I would ever request to play Clank but I wouldn't walk away from the table if it got slapped down either. I hear the space one is more modular donut makes the game more replayable, is that true?
It's true but the original has more and better expansions.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I wish more companies would consider this when designing their packaging. Dice Throne season 2 is a perfect example. It's a game with hundreds of cards, a ton of cardboard chits, and ~50 dice. You can open the box, select characters, and be completely set up and playing within 60 seconds. It really is a deciding factor sometimes when we are choosing to play something, especially if we have a limited time window or don't have time to set up beforehand. We've been able to fit in game nights from the time my kid goes to bed at 9pm, even when we have to work in the morning, because the setup and tear down times are so fast. It just isn't feasible with a game that takes 20-40 minutes to set up and tear down.

That’s where I love having my game table with a vault. I keep the longer setup campaign oriented game “out” inside the vault covered up. Options!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been on a roll lately. Played another new to me game, Ancient Civilization of the Inner Sea. Basic area control with conflict. Don't expect to walk away with friends from this one. Two turns out of 4 took us 2.5 hours. Rules are pretty solid but laid out poorly. 4 player board has too much open area for a conflict area game, it's probably better at 5 plus. The cards allow you to screw with people you aren't near which is good. Game was okay but I would rather throw down Mare Nostrum or whatever it is that is the same area.