Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I'm passing on anymore components. I liked playing the game but I've only managed to get my friends to make the time twice since getting it, and I already have like $100 in extras still coming.

At least they'll be neat miniatures.

I still haven't played mine - misplaced the direction and too lazy to read digital one yet, LOL.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Twilight Imperium 4th edition announced/opened for preorders, $150. Looks like a better version of 3 with 90% of expansion content baked in. I went ahead and bought it, looks like I can sell my 3rd edition with expansions on eBay for $400, so win/win.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Twilight Imperium 4th edition announced/opened for preorders, $150. Looks like a better version of 3 with 90% of expansion content baked in. I went ahead and bought it, looks like I can sell my 3rd edition with expansions on eBay for $400, so win/win.

Still never played TI3 - sounds great if most is in the core now though.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Dark Souls BG BackerKit reopened and announced Dark Souls: Card Game coming in March 2018. Not seen it mentioned elsewhere, apologies if this is old news.
Still sad I missed out on Dark souls kickstarter have a lot of interested friends in playing it.

Will get the card game though, we enjoy the bloodbourne card game.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TI is an awesome game if everyone knows the rules and has 12 hours. Excited to see what 4 brings.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We have TI and one expansion, don't really play it enough to justify ordering the new edition.

Wish they had the rights and could do that with Battlestar Galactica though...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The card game looks truly terrible. I feel like it is even more of a lazy cash grab than the board game was.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Derpa why you sad? You can buy it now. Zero missing from the Kickstarter edition.

I don't really recommend it unless you like house ruling. They half assed it, and it shows. Has some great miniatures but the gameplay is pretty week.

Vaclav

BTW after all this time, finally got in touch with Tony via email this week (the table plans guy - apparently now that he's in better shape he's cut gaming WAAAAAY down, dude dropped from probably 400 when I met him two years ago down to probably 150, his surgery was transformative [it's like a lapband surgery - except physically altering the stomach size by cutting excess away, rather than just banding it - his stomach is now the size of a deck of cards or so]) - he says they're purchased ones though, so he'd only feel comfortable sharing one on one building in his shop or the Makerspace for something like this he'd just refer you to the site he bought the plans from.

Now that said (and why I'm remembering it half a week later) - this just came up in my feed on Facebook - Table of Ultimate Gaming is apparently a gaming table Kickstarter in the coming soon stage, and it looks quite solid from what they've demonstrated thusfar.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have a regular board game night with my son once a week (he'll be 11 in a month), and I'm looking at branching out. Currently we really only play Quarto, Stratego, and Reversi. I have plenty of other board games that I play with friends, but nothing else that would really work with 2 people.

Looking through lists of good 2 player games, and I really don't know which ones to invest in. There are so many options, and these games get expensive when you want variety. Someone local has copies of Small World and Summoner Wars (Master Set), and Castle Panic (it might be nice to have a co-op game) for a decent price used. Reddit is pushing Mage Wars Arena and Mice and Mystics. I was looking for some kind of structured Pathfinder/DnD type thing we could play together, because I think the idea of a persistent character that powers up and acquires loot would really appeal to him but I don't know where to start on that front.

Anyone else play with kids and have any advice or recommendations?

My son and I enjoy playing Star Realms which is a deck building game.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned/seen Carolina Game Tables: Game Tables for Real Life! kickstarter. I'm debating backin it since I need a dining table that can easily convert to a game table.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Still sad I missed out on Dark souls kickstarter have a lot of interested friends in playing it.

Will get the card game though, we enjoy the bloodbourne card game.

I kinda hate Dark Souls and I have a ton of addons still coming, maybe we can work something out?

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Longshot but:

I do web development for a job and um a hobby as well. I've made a successful version of the social deduction board game Secret Hitler online at Secret Hitler. It has usually 70-100 players on and games going all the time. I'm looking to wrap it up and then probably try to find a new project that I can hopefully make some passive income off of (SH is creative commons/non-commercial). Does anyone have any ideas/contacts for a potential new thing I could do? Obviously I am not asking for money from anyone, this would be a partnership. Thanks.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I do some work for ninja division but I think they have a contract at the moment for video game stuff. I know random guys here or there at other companies. Was there a specific game you were looking at?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Picked up TI:4 at GenCon, seems like a good iteration. They aren't trying to compete with Eclipse, and stuck with the "big slow comprehensive game" approach. Pretty much just cut the gristle out of TI:3 and kept all the fat in. Will have more thoughts on it once I actually wrangle a table to play the full thing through at home without company men trying to direct people/set things up. Feels like a big X.0 patch for an MMO, more than a new boardgame. Fixing shit, introducing some new shit, repackaging the sprawling stupid stuff that was a result of seperate expansion boxes (Hello TI:3+Expansions terrible Strategy Deck stuffed to the gill with "Trade Goods" instead of interesting, active options).

Also got a chance to see the new Civ boardgame stuff. It's much simplified over earlier editions (although in the case of military, I welcome it, a die roll during battle instead of the terrible fucking RNGesus military unit recruitment of the last one is welcome). Games seemed to take 1-2 hours instead of 2+.

Vaclav

Picked up TI:4 at GenCon, seems like a good iteration. They aren't trying to compete with Eclipse, and stuck with the "big slow comprehensive game" approach. Pretty much just cut the gristle out of TI:3 and kept all the fat in. Will have more thoughts on it once I actually wrangle a table to play the full thing through at home without company men trying to direct people/set things up. Feels like a big X.0 patch for an MMO, more than a new boardgame. Fixing shit, introducing some new shit, repackaging the sprawling stupid stuff that was a result of seperate expansion boxes (Hello TI:3+Expansions terrible Strategy Deck stuffed to the gill with "Trade Goods" instead of interesting, active options).

Also got a chance to see the new Civ boardgame stuff. It's much simplified over earlier editions (although in the case of military, I welcome it, a die roll during battle instead of the terrible fucking RNGesus military unit recruitment of the last one is welcome). Games seemed to take 1-2 hours instead of 2+.

Oh wow, didn't realize it was pre-releasing at Gencon. It's not due til Oct or so for real, right?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, supposed to be out for general release in Q4. Companies just sell that shit at gencon early because it's pure profit. They cut out the distributors and the LGSes, but still get to charge full MSRP :)

Vaclav

Yeah, supposed to be out for general release in Q4. Companies just sell that shit at gencon early because it's pure profit. They cut out the distributors and the LGSes, but still get to charge full MSRP :)

No love on Fallout pre-release up there I take it though, right?

Brand

Molten Core Raider
No love on Fallout pre-release up there I take it though, right?

No, just a demo only copy. It was kinda rough.

The TI4 copy at Gencon also had a little card to send in for a copy of TI4 rules in hardcover. I wasn't going to get it, but changed my mind when I saw that.

GenCon was awesome, as always. In my mind, there was no new "big game" this year, but a number of very good games.

My favorites, not in a particular order, were - Photsynthesis, Whistlestop, Ex Libris, Bunny Kingdom, Valleta, new Terraforming Mars maps, Century: Golem Edition (re-skinned Spice Road), Mini Rails

I probably have forgotten something...There were other games I liked as well, but those I mentioned...I actually bought. I got a number of other kid oriented games as well. Two older games that I took notice of were Anachrony and Barony. Fun, but didn't buy were Fate of the Elder Gods and Spirit Island, I may revisit them in the future, but the demo guy was so terrible that I couldn't get into them.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some of you rich bastards may be interested in the latest heirloom gaming table that got released at Gencon last week.

- Wyrmwood