Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone played Too Many Bones? Played my first game last night while traveling for work and I was blown away. Haven't ever actually been eager to play solo other than learning the basic rules a bit but this game I was loving it, finished the entire adventure. I'm very impressed with the rules and mechanics and just how deep this game is. The components are awesome quality as well. It's comes with a solo deck too, I can see myself playing this solo a lot just trying to learn and experiment with all the classes. Hard to believe a dice based game can be this deep and complex.

So damn good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Anyone played Too Many Bones? Played my first game last night while traveling for work and I was blown away. Haven't ever actually been eager to play solo other than learning the basic rules a bit but this game I was loving it, finished the entire adventure. I'm very impressed with the rules and mechanics and just how deep this game is. The components are awesome quality as well. It's comes with a solo deck too, I can see myself playing this solo a lot just trying to learn and experiment with all the classes. Hard to believe a dice based game can be this deep and complex.

So damn good.

Just tried it solo on TTS, pretty good. Will back the October 3rd print on kickstarter when it goes live.

Raign

Golden Squire
Ordered a copy of Gloomhaven to try to fill the void left from running through Mansions of Madness (Second Edition) too many times. Big shoes to fill, but it looks pretty awesome so I am optimistic.

Gloomhaven

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been playing through the Dunwich Legacy on the Arkham Horror LCG. This game is so good. It's not a board game per se but I highly recommend it for anyone in to Lovecraft stuff or Co-op games.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Been playing through the Dunwich Legacy on the Arkham Horror LCG. This game is so good. It's not a board game per se but I highly recommend it for anyone in to Lovecraft stuff or Co-op games.

We tried this and while it was kind of cool story and good artwork, the gameplay was just odd to me. First game I’ve played like that so maybe it’s a standard, but it just felt weird. Drawing chips out of a bag for combat, moving your player card around to location cards, etc.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's trying to be a board game but marketed like a card game. I really like card games so it might be the deck building to beat a scenario that does it for me.

The chips out of the bag is cumbersome. If you have android the arkham LCG app is great. There is an iPhone app as well but it's not as good.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still need to give it another try sometime - the rules confused me on our first plays. But I love the design and theme - reminds me of the LOTR CCG from back in the day that I loved. But cumbersome rules to get used to.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The rules were confusing at first so we just started playing and it clicked pretty quick. It was still kind of an odd experience but wasn’t necessarily bad.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Anyone seen any new boardgame kickstarters they are interested in? There was a flurry of them back in July/August.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have the original. It's fun solo. I haven't finished my first attempt yet. I'm like 6 hours in.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
7th Continent is NOT an easy game and some people are put off on how the curse (endgame) can totally shut you down with no warning. I enjoy it, but it probably would not hit the table with the gaming group as much as some other games. Aeons End/War eternal is damn good coop deckbuilder that will also kick your ass and take your lunch money. Was able to play Champions of Midgard with the 2 new expansions and it is great! If you like Lords of Waterdeep, you might really want to check it out.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Big fan of Lords of Waterdeep, but it's been a while since its been out of its box. I just received my Aeon's end stuff a couple of weeks ago, I've only managed 2 games so far. We lost the first one pretty badly and everyone went "Well Jesus, that was the easy one, fuck me" kind of thing. I talked them into giving it another go the next week and we won, but people still felt like it was rough, and both girls at the table expressed that they don't think its for them, which was a bummer. Not sure at all how it would play with everything randomized, seems like you could just get a bad combo of cards that fucks you.

In other board game related news, Kingdom Death Monster ships to US and SA people starting tomorrow. If you ordered it, make sure you check your email and confirm your address!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Big fan of Lords of Waterdeep, but it's been a while since its been out of its box. I just received my Aeon's end stuff a couple of weeks ago, I've only managed 2 games so far. We lost the first one pretty badly and everyone went "Well Jesus, that was the easy one, fuck me" kind of thing. I talked them into giving it another go the next week and we won, but people still felt like it was rough, and both girls at the table expressed that they don't think its for them, which was a bummer. Not sure at all how it would play with everything randomized, seems like you could just get a bad combo of cards that fucks you.

In other board game related news, Kingdom Death Monster ships to US and SA people starting tomorrow. If you ordered it, make sure you check your email and confirm your address!

Damn right, I've got my backerkit thinger updated and am "patiently" awaiting my giant 30lb box of doom!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Damn right, I've got my backerkit thinger updated and am "patiently" awaiting my giant 30lb box of doom!

Yea, it should be around that counting the new content + hardcover book - was 22 lbs for the original IIRC.

On a KDM note - my shelving for the minis decided to collapse the other day (I guess it got weakened by some of the dripping we had from the hurricane and I missed - entire side fell off the bookcase, screws/etc just completely tore out as it fell over - wasn't a cheap IKEA style one either, although god knows how old, I love thrift store furniture) - I'm pleasantly shocked in how little damage they sustained in the fall.

Spidicules is going to be a nightmare to put back together, but almost everything else either had zero damage or where the glue joints broke first rather than the mini itself. Only one simple fix on Butcher (his left axe) besides the Spidicules damage that isn't just fixing old joints. I saw it happen and was like OH FUCK, $1000+ TO REPLACE.... then when I finally tallied the damage it looks more like maybe $40 if I give up on Spidicules, but he doesn't even look that hard. (And frankly, you don't really use his mini for his encounter so damaged really doesn't matter too much - we'd usually just leave him at the side of the table and only use his "shadow" base on the board)

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Aeons End is by far the best playtested game I’ve ever played. Almost every single game for us comes down to the last turn order shuffle. It’s just always very damn close. We’ve only had two games where we have dominated the nemesis. And only one where we got raped. With that said though we are all very experienced gamers, I don’t think this would go well with people who aren’t unless they are getting help.

We have played every game except the very first using randomizers. We really only felt fucked once, and it was the game we got raped hard.

We’ve played ~20 games.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is live now. I recommend it to anyone who likes deep, complex, challenging games. The massive difference in how each character plays, and the huge variety in encounters Is awesome. The components are impressive and everything just works great as far as gameplay mechanics. If you want a game that can keep you and friends busy for a couple years, this can fill that role.