Board Games

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the transmute thing gets pretty crazy, next game we are thinking if three treasures on space you draw three keep one. Except rare treasure chests.

Yeah that would help. We also rule you can’t use treasure levels higher than the tile you are currently on.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got Dojo-Kun in, will take a little while to figure out what # of fighters works out best. Was a pretty fun game for 3 of the 4 players. The fourth player failed to reserve a seat at the tournament, and got both of his super-pumped-up fighters matched against each other by the rest of the table. He pretty much rage-quit despite still getting within 6-7 points of first.

Nice game of action-economy tension. 99% of the time in worker placement games I rush maximum workers and it ends up being the correct choice; here I'm not sure. The "give your guys who trained this turn an extra action" space really enables low-worker-#s.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Viticulture is one of the best worker placement games that rewards low worker count. Very common to win without getting any extra ones.

Grabbed pursuit of happiness yesterday. Really enjoyed it when I first played, mostly because of the theme and immersion. I kept finding myself getting into character and describing my life choices as I made them, creating a real story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Just picked up Dragonfire and Secret Hitler from Pax: unplugged.

Played a ton of shit. Looks like board games with DLC are all the rage now. Guess we are paying for our sin of nutting over Kingdom Death. Because every booth i saw had a glass case filled with $20 minis that acted as "expacs"

Big titty Anime ones
Monsters
Cthulhus
Cowboys

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just picked up Dragonfire and Secret Hitler from Pax: unplugged.

Played a ton of shit. Looks like board games with DLC are all the rage now. Guess we are paying for our sin of nutting over Kingdom Death. Because every booth i saw had a glass case filled with $20 minis that acted as "expacs"

Big titty Anime ones
Monsters
Cthulhus
Cowboys

I don’t know how the Kingdom Death people do it. I have the core game and some expansions, but those figures that sell out in minutes for $30 with no gameplay elements blow my mind. They look cool but damn. Then they’re selling on eBay for $70. Hell the new $40 rulebook goes for $150.

I guess the nerds being single is finally paying off for them?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I don’t know how the Kingdom Death people do it. I have the core game and some expansions, but those figures that sell out in minutes for $30 with no gameplay elements blow my mind. They look cool but damn. Then they’re selling on eBay for $70. Hell the new $40 rulebook goes for $150.

I guess the nerds being single is finally paying off for them?

There's a Cthulhu Version of Kingdom death with these cool looking giant size minis. The base game sells for $200 and at Pax I watched people buy the $200 base game then immediately spend $70 to REBUY the same 7 minis over again but in glow in the dark.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That’s a whole new level of dumb to me. Glow in the dark? Really? I bought my 2 year old a glow in the dark dragon thinking he would dig it. He wasn’t even impressed.

Oh I know! Maybe they think that when they finally get a girl into their bedroom, that’s their excuse for turning the light off. “Hey baby check THIS out!”

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Played the first scenario of Gloomhaven on Sunday. It took us like 5 hours, four players. There was a lot of distractions (someone would get a 10 minute phone call they had to take, followed by someone needing to use the bathroom as soon as the first guy got back, and then someone going to grab another drink, etc.) but the biggest slowdown was people choosing which cards to play. We would do a turn, and then sit in silence for 10 minutes while deciding the next turn.

On top of that, one guy got really annoyed with the secret initiatives and turns. To the point where he just went "Ok, well I'm going at 8 initiative, I'm charging into that next room and AOE stunning as many guys as I can. Thats' my plan." I think the other 3 of us at the table just kind of shrugged and kept doing our thing. The same guy made a big deal about no trading items or gold too, but I was like "Thems the rules and what the game is balanced around,. its not that big a deal." To which he replied "Meh, its stupid."

So... yeah...

Had a good time overall, super curious to get into the whole story and everything, I'm probably the only person out of the 4 who enjoys rules though, so the combat is probably just going to be more transparent and everyone else will be fine with that.

Super glad this friend wasn't one I asked to play Kingdom Death with though, I highly suspected it would be a bad fit, and after seeing him get pissy with Gloomhaven... yeah, think he would flip the god damned table over KDM.

• 1Worf

faille

Molten Core Raider
luckily it's easy for players to drop in and out of gloomhaven so no reason to invite him back!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
New edition of the Civilization Boardgame is supposed to be in stores tomorrow, will be amused if it is. 50% off get~

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Dragonfire is one of my few Black Friday purchases (if you can call 25% off a sale) this year, looking forward to getting into it this weekend.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dragonfire is one of my few Black Friday purchases (if you can call 25% off a sale) this year, looking forward to getting into it this weekend.

Oooo that sounds cool - played it yet to compare it to Pathfinder ACG?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Never played Pathfinder :(

Supposed to play it tonight, but might have too many people show up, figures.

It uses a similar system from one of their other games I also never played, Shadowrun Crossfire.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Dragonfire was fun, but we were tripping over rules that were completely ruining the game for us. We need another clean night to go at it before we can give a good opinion.

Vaclav

Dragonfire was fun, but we were tripping over rules that were completely ruining the game for us. We need another clean night to go at it before we can give a good opinion.

There was a thread with my exact question on BGG - doesn't sound my speed, after reading up on it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Played Dragonfire at GenCon...It is a re-skinned Shadowrun Crossfire for the most part. It was fun enough, but I prefer Cutthroat Caverns...I'm not a real coop guy(with the exception of Pandemic Legacy.)

• 1Like

Vaclav

What are you saying in the second half here? You drinking in the mornings bro?

I don't drink ever - sometimes I grammar non-good though. (Intentionally super-awfulfying that - there should've been a comma in the OP for clarity that even my grammar foibles doesn't excuse though)

To say it more verbose and clear, however. I poked over on BoardGameGeek and found a thread comparing Dragonfire to Pathfinder ACG, and from how it read, I don't think I'd like it - lesser character development, more of a "solving a puzzle" than just screwing around having an adventure with no set way, etc. [2nd I'd be cool with, but Laura hates puzzles - and all the LCG stuff is just for us to play together.]