Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
A question for those of you with 7th Continent. Because I've been late to this whole board gaming phenomenon, I had to pick up a copy of 7C for sale from BGG marketplace at markup. I will be playing it for the first time this weekend. I have my usual gaming group coming, so 4 of us total. From everything I've read, I understand this is a great solo game, and also fun with 2 people, but maybe becomes less fun or unwieldy at the 3 and 4 player count.

I feel like this is the type of game they would all enjoy (exploration), but I'm worried it might not be "fun" with 4 of us, and maybe I should save this game just for me solo or with the SO. Have any of you with 7C played with 3 or 4 players, and how did you find the game?

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
A question for those of you with 7th Continent. Because I've been late to this whole board gaming phenomenon, I had to pick up a copy of 7C for sale from BGG marketplace at markup. I will be playing it for the first time this weekend. I have my usual gaming group coming, so 4 of us total. From everything I've read, I understand this is a great solo game, and also fun with 2 people, but maybe becomes less fun or unwieldy at the 3 and 4 player count.

I feel like this is the type of game they would all enjoy (exploration), but I'm worried it might not be "fun" with 4 of us, and maybe I should save this game just for me solo or with the SO. Have any of you with 7C played with 3 or 4 players, and how did you find the game?

I wouldn't make your first game of that one with 4. It really seems to work best with 2 but can still be enjoyable up to 4 with someone to lead the group essentially.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
We have been playing a lot of Terraforming Mars lately. Mostly 2 player, some 3 player when the boy decides to join. Really like the science themed engine builder. Picked up the 2 bonus maps and the Prelude expansion. Bonus maps are cheap and mix up the awards / milestones and give a nice changeup to the playstyle for the money. Only done 1 game with the prelude corps / bonuses but it helped the power curve early on a lot. Overall we probably have 20ish games played with it. I played the solo version for the first time today and it was enjoyable as well.

Id like to get more plays on Scythe, but I feel that game is better with a few more people, map seems empty with 2 people. We have the Wind Gambit and Invaders from Afar expansions for it but havent opened em. Wife likes Terraforming Mars a bit more but I want to get some more Scythe playthrus in cause I feel its equally good and I like the art / theme on it as well. We have a family vacation coming up that maybe I can use for more Scythe players

For those who have 7th Continent, Ive heard here its best with 2-3 players, but im curious on playtime. Is it a game you finish or how exactly does that work?

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
For those who have 7th Continent, Ive heard here its best with 2-3 players, but im curious on playtime. Is it a game you finish or how exactly does that work?

Ok I ended up playing it for the first time this weekend for about 4 hours. I decided to try it with just 2 of us. One of the best things about the game is setup-teardown. It is soooooo easy compared to any other game I've played. No exaggeration, it takes less than 5 minutes to set up and break down.

Each Curse takes a different amount of time. We finished The Crystal Song, which is the "intro" curse that's part of the What Goes up Must Come Down expansion. It took about 4 hours, but it probably could have been shorter except for the fact I had to keep looking up rules and I initially screwed up by not using any of the crystal exploration cards (doh!). I heard the other beginning curse, Voracious Goddess, takes about 20-30 hours, and it is one of the longer curses.

The thing with each curse is that they are not broken up into chapters or anything.....so like a 20-hour curse you could feasibly play 20 hours in a row and finish it, or play 10 two-hour sessions, or 20 one-hour sessions.....it's totally up to you. Given how easy it is to set-up and break-down the game, it makes it nice to play this game in small spurts. In fact, I feel the game is probably better played this way, meaning several short sessions, which gives you time to think about different possible strategies between sessions.

As far as best number of players.....I think it definitely is 1. Maybe 2. This isn't a "game" in the traditional sense, it's more like an elaborate puzzle. So it's like doing a crossword puzzle, or a choose-your-own-adventure book....how fun is it with more than 1 person? The "interaction" is really both of you just deciding what actions you want to take. There aren't even set turns, so technically you could take 5 turns in a row before your partner took 1. A lot of the time we just looked at each other and was like "ok, I'll go and do this action"......when if you were playing by yourself you could have done the exact same action without the discussion.

So I was glad I didn't play this game with my group of 4 this weekend (we ended up playing TMB, loads of fun as always). However, I feel this will be a great game for me to play alone when I have free time and no one else feels like board gaming. For my partner, I don't think she would ever pick this game over Aeon's End or TMB if it was just us two gaming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some of you guys who like the nice gaming tables but can’t afford them may be interested in these. They’re great for people who either can’t afford a big gaming table, or only want one temporarily on a smaller kitchen table. I’ve played on these at a gaming store and they’re the next best thing to gaming tables. They sit on top of a normal table so you can make your gaming area a lot bigger just during the game, then pull it off when not gaming. They’re also modular so you can break them down and store them, or take them to a friends and set it up there.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I played Chess for the first time in years in May, but otherwise I only play some game that is the opposite of what people pretty much play nowadays.

• 1Salty
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played the first three chapters of Aeons End Legacy and had a great time. They did a good job of slowly introducing mechanics, powers, etc. The story elements and scripted events are fun.

Naming your abilities is fun too.

9AE103E5-0302-4B28-A18B-1DE72A411207.jpeg
BC840CF5-6133-437C-9A92-19815505F159.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
nice. I'm eyeing that one off as my next legacy game.
Trying to get back to just having one on on the go at a time though

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Note: a decent number of Amazon Prime deals on board games today. Picked up quite a few myself.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Photosynthesis for $21, Small World for $30, Blockus for $12 (we get a lot of mileage out of this as a warmup / cooldown game), I also finally pulled the trigger on Mansion of Madness 2e

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I bought 4 games:

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition
Pandemic Legacy Season 1 (red)
Mysterium
Tokaido

The first 3 games I've always wanted to add to my collection. Tokaido I know nothing about, but I got sucked in by the packaging and visual presentation of the game. I was tempted to get Photosynthesis, but I don't think it would get to the table very much. A few others seem like I need to get to be a completionist, like 7 Wonders and Carcassonne, but really my group likes to play co-op games and tend to shy away from point salads and competitive games.....I already have games like Agricola and Dominion just sitting on the shelf.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
For those interested in 7th Continent but don't have it, they just released their remaining copies for the US. The site is being HAMMERED. I managed to get in and get the expansions I was missing.

https://shop.seriouspoulp.com/

They are releasing a cheaper version of the game in the future, but this is for the KS version of 7th continent which will contain more cards than the cheaper version. Also, the Swamps of Madness curse is a KS exclusive, so you will not be able to get this in the future once supply runs out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is anyone going to Gencon next week? I live in the area but will only attend Sunday. It’s a lot cheaper and I’ve never really had a reason to go more than a day. Will probably go down Saturday night for dinner and beer, maybe play random games at a game store or something.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I need a ninja shopper if youre available 😉 just need the warmachine oblivion expansion. i can paypal you ahead of time, if youre busy no worries!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I need a ninja shopper if youre available 😉 just need the warmachine oblivion expansion. i can paypal you ahead of time, if youre busy no worries!

If you find the booth # and they still have it Sunday I don’t mind looking for you. I’m usually done checking out what I want to after 4-5 hours.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
awesome, thanks man, it should be booth 429: privateer press: item is the oblivion box set i think its around $60.