Boardwalk Empire

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Are we going to see Luciano grow up at any point in this series or does his kingdom not really come into shape until further along than the time period of this show is going to cover? As is he's portrayed as a pretty big dumb ass.
I forget where we are in the show right now (late '23? Early '24?), but in history Luciano starts playing a greater role in 1928 when the New York mafia wars ramp up.

I believe the show is planned to go into the 30s.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I forget where we are in the show right now (late '23? Early '24?), but in history Luciano starts playing a greater role in 1928 when the New York mafia wars ramp up.

Bugsy and Murder INC !

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Terence Winter (BE's showrunner) said characters are fictionalized versions of their real life counterparts to give writers enough room to make good writing, also to maintain suspense. In BE's universe Luciano could be clipped during the next season while his real life counterpart lived long after end of WWII. FYI the real "Nucky" (Johnson) was merely a corrupt politician, he never seemed to be actively involved with the organized crime, he just took a cut from any alcohol sold in Atlantic City at this time, same as most politicians, mayors, governors and whatnot did during Prohibition. I'm not saying he's a white knight, he obviously knew a lot of stuff about theunderworld, but the character played by Steve Buscemi is a quite hardcore version of the real one. If you'd like to know more you can read "Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City" by Nelson Johnson, it tells the main differences about real life people/ HBO's Boardwalk Empire characters and it also make a quite interesting depiction of Atlantic City during Prohibition.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Terence Winter (BE's showrunner) said characters are fictionalized versions of their real life counterparts to give writers enough room to make good writing, also to maintain suspense. In BE's universe Luciano could be clipped during the next season while his real life counterpart lived long after end of WWII.
I know a few people have mentioned that in this thread, but I'll believe it when I see it. I understand doing stuff like you mentioned with Nucky, how the small details and personality are changed to make for a more interesting show, but I don't believe the show writers will kill a huge historical player like Capone or Luciano before the time that character died in real life.

In all 3 seasons have they changed any historical deaths? As far as I know the only deaths have been from fictional characters.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know a few people have mentioned that in this thread, but I'll believe it when I see it. I understand doing stuff like you mentioned with Nucky, how the small details and personality are changed to make for a more interesting show, but I don't believe the show writers will kill a huge historical player like Capone or Luciano before the time that character died in real life.

In all 3 seasons have they changed any historical deaths? As far as I know the only deaths have been from fictional characters.
The Luciano being clipped assumption is from myself, as an example.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The Luciano being clipped assumption is from myself, as an example.
Right. Thiscouldhappen, but I'm with McCheese in that I think it's extremely unlikely with any well known 'named' characters. Lucky is probably the second most recognizable mobster name in the show aside from Capone and it makes little sense to mess with the viewer base and invent some alternate death for either character.

Still though...he's a total dumb ass in the show and if he's going to be a kingpin in a short amount of time he needs to not be one.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't the Irish guy who was killed during season 2 killed long before his non-fiction counterpart died?

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right. Thiscouldhappen, but I'm with McCheese in that I think it's extremely unlikely with any well known 'named' characters. Lucky is probably the second most recognizable mobster name in the show aside from Capone and it makes little sense to mess with the viewer base and invent some alternate death for either character.

Still though...he's a total dumb ass in the show and if he's going to be a kingpin in a short amount of time he needs to not be one.
Well if you're familiar with Terencer Winter work in The Sopranos, you'll know main characters can die anytime. I'd also say Boardwalk Empire writing team can kill main characters quite abruptly too.
biggrin.png

On a more serious note, I don't think Capone / Luciano / Lansky / White are gonna die soon, since their story arcs got some interesting perspective through the next season teasers. What's also interesting is the writers decided to go from an originally 1920 Atlantic City based tv show centered to Nucky Thompson into some huge net of gangsters around the U.S. East Coast tv show with their lives meddling into each others. We have AC, but we also have Harlem, NY, Chicago and who knows what else. I'm partial because I worship Terence Winter as the new Jesus but I really love what he did with most of the supporting characters : Harrow, Eli and Rosetti are so awesomely written most of their scenes are pure gold. And of course we have Van Alden, personifying characters development at its finest.

I'm really excited about the next season because the tv show seems to develop a lot into a wide range of directions, with a lof of interesting characters around.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Well if you're familiar with Terencer Winter work in The Sopranos, you'll know main characters can die anytime. I'd also say Boardwalk Empire writing team can kill main characters quite abruptly too.
Right. They're willing to kill main characters, but not historically-accurate(ish) main characters. I don't think anyone saw Jimmy dying. That was a huge "HOLY SHIT" moment, but he was a purely fictional character.

I agree about the supporting cast being the best thing about the show, but I'm starting to worry that they're adding too much. I rewatched some of last season recently and at points it felt like Game of Thrones, in that some characters would appear for only about 5 minutes in an entire episode. It's nice to have interconnecting stories and lots of interesting characters, but when it's taken too far it detracts from the show.

I'd be happy with 50 minutes of Richard Harrow and 5 minutes of everyone else. At this point Nucky is the worst part of the show.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd be happy with 50 minutes of Richard Harrow and 5 minutes of everyone else. At this point Nucky is the worst part of the show.
I'd be melting my pubes watching a 3 way crime Netflix drama tv show featuring Harrow as the neutral-but-shady-but-with-values guy, Rosetti as the true villain and Van Alden as the white knight cop. What I don't really like is their casting choice for Margaret, I think Kelly MacDonald is a good actress but I don't know, I feel like she doesn't fit at all into the bored whiny bitch role. Or maybe his character is badly written : I don't know, she had a shitty life, being poor as fuck and being beaten by his husband, and suddenly she's like the Maharadjah's wife. Hey woman, it's 1923 out there, you have a kingdom around, why making small stuff a big thing everytime ? Maybe it's just me, but I think her role has no nuance, she's the alpha bitch everyone's gonna hate "but she's kinda right you know". It adds a morale tone to Nucky, which is preposterous comes season 2 finale, when he deffo makes the choice being a true mobster.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, but the Irish leader on the show was a different person approximately based on a historical figure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...(Irish_leader)

On a more historical serious note, American Irish mob exported a lot of those .45 ACP Tommy Guns in Ireland back in the day, they just lacked people manning them :p Having them .45 ACP full automatic submachineguns at their time was like native americans versus gunpowder and steel.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
What's also interesting is the writers decided to go from an originally 1920 Atlantic City based tv show centered to Nucky Thompson into some huge net of gangsters around the U.S. East Coast tv show with their lives meddling into each others.
I think this was the best decision the writers could have possibly made with the direction of the show. I love Steve Buschemi but I don't think this is the greatest role in the world for him, and at least for me the first season showed that he can't carry the whole thing by himself.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think this was the best decision the writers could have possibly made with the direction of the show. I love Steve Buschemi but I don't think this is the greatest role in the world for him, and at least for me the first season showed that he can't carry the whole thing by himself.
I agree, in some last season's scenes some characters really steal Buscemi's light, I'm thinking about Capone ("then we talk about who dies"), Rosetti (the Napoleon moment on the beach and most of his scenes), Harrow (the whorehouse rampage) and Van Alden for example : I was more excited watching anything involving them than Nucky going Machiavelli-with-a-gun.

q0cz17w.gif

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just finished re-watching season three. I don't recall the deal struck between Capone and Nucky so Capone would help him out. I assume this has to do with the Overholt distillery? I know it was used as a ploy to fuck over Rothstein, but does Nucky plan on moving back in after all of that settles?

I also wish they would have shown Owen's botched assassination attempt on Masseria. They never really explain how that happened. It's not necessarily important, but I wonder if the dirty cop was in on it or if he's dead too.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The first set of people he killed he took a deed from I think, so maybe a group of people that fucked over his family since at the end he finally goes home.

Was a good episode, so glad this is back on.