Bootstrappers guide to being successful.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
The way you put it there makes me seem pretty bootstrappy btw.

Boostrappy, just bitter about it.
rrr_img_136380.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Talking with someone on this subject this morning. Seems there is a compressed time frame now, people expect to get a job and be in charge/the boss/successful the first day. Doesn't work that way. Even the people I know that have degrees they weren't hired to be the boss. The people without a degree I know that are successful went to work somewhere and worked their way up and not very well off. The only person that I know was the boss from the start was a guy who inherited the company when his dad died and he was just starting college and they had 2 employees.

She works in a quasi HR arena where she does some of the interviewing and the things she says people come in expecting is laughable. "Hi, I have a business degree, no experience. Don't know what you make or how you make it. But I was thinking CEO, president, or some upper management posistion". Umm yeah ok, good luck with that.

This probably won't apply to anyone here, but in our industry it's possible to over dress for an interview. I try to drive by when people are getting off work and see what they are wearing, then dress a little more. She was saying it's easy to spot the noobies. They come in wearing a suit where even the owners of the company will never wear a suit and such.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Most employers are looking for a bit of democracy and peaceful demonstration - I would draft a petition to change the dress code immediately after hire, it's a sure way to be fast tracked.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
She works in a quasi HR arena where she does some of the interviewing and the things she says people come in expecting is laughable. "Hi, I have a business degree, no experience. Don't know what you make or how you make it. But I was thinking CEO, president, or some upper management posistion". Umm yeah ok, good luck with that.
Yeah, that's retarded.

The flip side is that I have a degree in CS, Statistics, and a masters in educational psychology, and 6 years previous IT experience, and I work 12+ hour shifts in a windowless call center where a urinal is leaking into the wall behind me, soaking into the carpet and puddling under the wall.

I have a degree in CS, Statistics, and a masters in educational psychology, and 6 years previous IT experience
Hmm, what city you in? If you have a CS degree in any decent sized city it is very easy to get a job. If you don't mind relocating it is even easier.

I have a CS graduate degree and have never updated my LinkedIn because I don't have to. Recruiters from Google, MS, Boeing, Amazon, Infinity Ward, a bunch of mobile game companies, and multiple Universities have reached out to me, without ever having submitted an application to them. In fact, Google and Amazon contact me every ~6 months or so to see if I'm interested because I'm in their database. Big companies are literally begging for developers right now.

If anyone wants a job working as a programmer or artist on Unreal engine projects in Orlando, I'll hook you up right now. Just PM me. We are *always* looking. If you have experience in one or more of the following, it will only increase your chances. We love generalists: Unreal Engine, C++, C#, WPF, Flash/ScaleForm, MySql, TCP, UDP. For artists we use 3D Studio and PhotoShop only. But you can use any side tools or plugins of your choice.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, what city you in? If you have a CS degree in any decent sized city it is very easy to get a job. If you don't mind relocating it is even easier.

I have a CS graduate degree and have never updated my LinkedIn because I don't have to. Recruiters from Google, MS, Boeing, Amazon, Infinity Ward, a bunch of mobile game companies, and multiple Universities have reached out to me, without ever having submitted an application to them. In fact, Google and Amazon contact me every ~6 months or so to see if I'm interested because I'm in their database. Big companies are literally begging for developers right now.

If anyone wants a job working as a programmer or artist on Unreal engine projects in Orlando, I'll hook you up right now. Just PM me. We are *always* looking. If you have experience in one or more of the following, it will only increase your chances. We love generalists: Unreal Engine, C++, C#, WPF, Flash/ScaleForm, MySql, TCP, UDP. For artists we use 3D Studio and PhotoShop only. But you can use any side tools or plugins of your choice.
Personally, I have no development experience outside of a classroom, hence why I am stuck in IT jobs instead of being able to pursue development jobs.

I get tons of offers too, for contract-to-hire support positions. Some pay a little more than where I work, and are probably slightly less miserable though ultimately still basically call-centers, but they're still contract jobs.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_136450.jpg

This is my contribution. So much of "success" is just dumb fucking luck.

Kind of like:

Donald Trump being born to a dad who gave him a small "million dollar loan".
The idiots who invented Tickle-Me-Elmo and Beanie Babies.
People born with better genes that grant them higher intelligence or better looks, both of which make you more successful in the workforce. Arguably it's the latter that helps the most, as ugly intelligent people are often overlooked for dumb good looking people.

But more seriously, everything from Stock Brokers picking a winning stock to just being in the right place the right time. That's what success really is. The one caveat being, those who try harder get more chances at getting lucky. It's like sitting down at a slot machine with more quarters.

This book is one long, very convincing, fact-based rebuttal from intelligent people to all the retarded motivational bullshit out there.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We got a white knight fellas.

You realize people make millions of dollars off of acting like fucking retards on youtube, right? Stop being salty faggots worrying about someone elses life and focus on your own. Youll improve yours a lot faster.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Go look at athletes or lottery winners that pissed away millions and tell me anyone can turn 1 million into a billion.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
And, importantly, you have control over how many chances you take so take a whole fucking bunch of chances.

Also, while we may be too quick to take credit for our success we are also far far too quick to blame others for their failures.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's retarded.

The flip side is that I have a degree in CS, Statistics, and a masters in educational psychology, and 6 years previous IT experience, and I work 12+ hour shifts in a windowless call center where a urinal is leaking into the wall behind me, soaking into the carpet and puddling under the wall.
You have a degree in CS and stats at a time when every company is falling over backwards to suck the jizz out of anything with "data" attached to it and you can't get a decent job? You have not even attempted to look.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
She can't look because the white man and FEMA keepin her down in the [state of rhode island and providence] plantations.