BOSTON marathon bombing verdict

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If that was the case the death penalty wouldn't exist because they'd do that for every criminal with the death penalty on the table.

Also, the death penalty shouldn't exist.
Ehhhh. I'm on the fence about the death penalty. 20 years ago I would have said it definately should not exist. Now that we are seeing more and more heinous acts (not that they weren't around, just not in your face like they are now) I can see why it's needed. Not as a deterrent, but to just kill off some evil people.

I still say no death penalty to where there could be some doubt, but in these sorts of cases where it's even a waste to put these bastards on trial...just kill em.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I support vigilante style vengeance murders for heinous crimes. I don't support government sanctioned executions.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Does this mean the discrimination conspiracy against Diazepane is ended then?

...Ithinkthat's what that thread was about.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Ehhhh. I'm on the fence about the death penalty. 20 years ago I would have said it definately should not exist. Now that we are seeing more and more heinous acts (not that they weren't around, just not in your face like they are now) I can see why it's needed. Not as a deterrent, but to just kill off some evil people.
Well since it doesn't work as a deterrent and it's less of a tax burden to lock someone up without any opportunity for them ever to see the light of day outside of a prison it doesn't really serve much purpose. The purpose itmightserve is to give closure to living victims, but I haven't seen much evidence that it succeeds in that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well since it doesn't work as a deterrent and it's less of a tax burden to lock someone up without any opportunity for them ever to see the light of day outside of a prison it doesn't really serve much purpose. The purpose itmightserve is to give closure to living victims, but I haven't seen much evidence that it succeeds in that.
Life in prison is any more of a deterrent? Also the fact it takes 20 years to execute someone and millions of dollars just shows how fucking idiotic and backwards our legal system is, not that the death penalty is bad.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
People might feel better about the death penalty if they had a lethal injection cocktail that actually worked properly. Utah's trying to bring back firing squads because of it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Life in prison is any more of a deterrent? Also the fact it takes 20 years to execute someone and millions of dollars just shows how fucking idiotic and backwards our legal system is, not that the death penalty is bad.
So you're an advocate of the death penalty in a country you believe to have an idiotic and backwards legal system?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Having seen enough people get out of prison decades after being wrongfully convicted, it's enough to make me against the death penalty. Until we're 100% perfect in convictions(ie: never?), I can't support any killing of those convicts.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Come now Gavinrad, they totally say they're sorry when they find out they executed the wrong person.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
People might feel better about the death penalty if they had a lethal injection cocktail that actually worked properly. Utah's trying to bring back firing squads because of it.
Like a lot of other stuff I think that's a very vocal small minority. A LOT of people kind of like the idea of some of the high profile cases suffering at the end.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I think there's a primal part of human nature that wants to see (or be assured that) the most evil, socially delinquent people get permanently removed from said society in the only way they really can be. Of course our CJ system is totally fucked so it makes for an overall shitty system.

I'm starting a Master's in CJ in the Fall, looking forward to learning in-depth how fucked it all really is.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You only have to watch a few episodes of Lockup to quickly realize that death is probably preferable to a life sentence in a maximum security US prison. Fuck nightmares from watching too many horror movies-- a few hours of watching Lockup will make the thought of being incarcerated your new #1 phobia.

Capital Punishment is stupid because:
1) Legal system (including police) are corrupt
2) Too many false convictions leading to killing innocents
3) As originally stated, imho death is a reprieve compared to a life sentence
4) Redneck states still haven't discerned a drug combo that doesn't cause the inmate to writhe in pain for an hour before finally choking to death on his own vomit
5) Cost, which you would think would be lower than lifelong incarceration, is actually more expensive.

EDIT: My vote is to go the Kurt Russel Escape from New York route. Dump all our inmates on some Lord of the Flies style island and pen them in.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There was a very effective drug combination for lethal injections that was around for decades.

Then the drug company that produces the sodium pentathol quit making it after pressure from anti death penalty groups.

http://www.csg.org/pubs/capitolideas...issue65_4.aspx

I don't think the death penalty is a great idea in probably 99.999999% of cases. About the only time I'd support it is for someone like McVeigh or maybe this kid.

But that's what happened to the lethal injection drugs the US used.

Its not so much that there isn't a drug combo that works that doesn't cause unnecessary suffering, its that drug companies are now refusing to produce them because they feel its morally irresponsible and hurts their global image (which it is and does in my opinion for the vast vast vast majority of death penalty cases)

If the death penalty were only applied to the absolute most egregious cases, I probably wouldn't have a problem with that. But its not, so yeah, it should probably go the way of the dodo.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Exactly. This is why I thought they might offer him a plea for life without possibility of parole just to save the trouble of a trial and all the legal wrangling that goes on in the years leading up to an execution.

You're on drugs if you think they'll drop this dude in gen pop.
John Geoghan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right, because people are never killed outside of general population.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
There was a very effective drug combination for lethal injections that was around for decades.

Then the drug company that produces the sodium pentathol quit making it after pressure from anti death penalty groups.

http://www.csg.org/pubs/capitolideas...issue65_4.aspx

I don't think the death penalty is a great idea in probably 99.999999% of cases. About the only time I'd support it is for someone like McVeigh or maybe this kid.

But that's what happened to the lethal injection drugs the US used.

Its not so much that there isn't a drug combo that works that doesn't cause unnecessary suffering, its that drug companies are now refusing to produce them because they feel its morally irresponsible and hurts their global image (which it is and does in my opinion for the vast vast vast majority of death penalty cases)

If the death penalty were only applied to the absolute most egregious cases, I probably wouldn't have a problem with that. But its not, so yeah, it should probably go the way of the dodo.
This kid if he doesn't get the death penalty will most likely be in "the shoe" for the rest of his life, since he's basically cannon fodder for every other violent inmate. He couldn't even be put in the "sensitive needs" wing, because even the pedos will want to shank him. Essentially, he'll be locked in a cell for 23 hours a day, alone, with one hour to walk around in an outdoor cage. This will be his routine for the rest of his life. I don't know about you, but I'd rather die than slowly go insane from boredom and loneliness.

I know the Euro companies stopped manufacturing sodium pentathol, but c'mon, a state with all its resources can't come up with an alternate drug cocktail to kill someone painlessly? Hell, they could administer a huge dose of valium followed by a lethal dose of morphine and the convict will Peace-out 7th Heaven style. This is how most docs put terminal cancer patients out of their misery in their final days..

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I think Gen population would eliminate the issue....

You don't touch the children.... He left the backpack NEXT to a bunch of kids and killed them... He wouldn't last a week.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So you're an advocate of the death penalty in a country you believe to have an idiotic and backwards legal system?
Uhh thats implying fix the legal system? This extends far beyond just death penalty cases. Think about it, if we are sending people to death row for crimes they didnt commit, how many people end up getting sent to prison for far lesser crimes they didnt commit(yes all criminal convictions are supposed to be "beyond a reasonable doubt" but you would think cases involving the death penalty would be under more scrutiny)? Fix the legal system and you dont have to worry about executing the wrong person.

Also lethal injection is a horribly retarded way to execute people. Why the hell we just dont put people in a chamber full of argon or something is beyond me considering it would be the most humane and efficient way to kill a person.