BOSTON marathon bombing verdict

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Each state decides whether or not they have the death penalty, this deals with a state that does have it. If they don't give this guy the death penalty then who exactly would they give it to? There's no ambiguity about innocence or remorse in this case, everyone knows he did it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People might feel better about the death penalty if they had a lethal injection cocktail that actually worked properly. Utah's trying to bring back firing squads because of it.
fwiw I'd take firing squad over lethal injection.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Also lethal injection is a horribly retarded way to execute people. Why the hell we just dont put people in a chamber full of argon or something is beyond me considering it would be the most humane and efficient way to kill a person.
Argon is a non-toxic noble gas. You'd basically just asphyxiate to death, and that is certainly not "humane and efficient". Asphyxiation/drowning is an awfully painful way to go.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Argon is a non-toxic noble gas. You'd basically just asphyxiate to death, and that is certainly not "humane and efficient". Asphyxiation/drowning is an awfully painful way to go.
Uhh no? Asphyxiate =/= choking

When humans breathe in an asphyxiant gas, such as pure nitrogen, helium, neon, argon, sulfur hexafluoride, methane, or any other physiologically inert gas(es), they exhale carbon dioxide without re-supplying oxygen. Physiologically inert gases (those that have no toxic effect, but merely dilute oxygen) are generally free of odor and taste. As such, the human subject detects little abnormal sensation as the oxygen level falls. This leads to asphyxiation (death from lack of oxygen) without the painful and traumatic feeling of suffocation (which in humans arises mostly from carbon dioxide levels rising), or the side effects of poisoning. In scuba diving rebreather accidents, there is often little sensation but euphoria-however, a slow decrease in oxygen breathing gas content has effects which are quite variable.[6] By contrast, suddenly breathing pure inert gas causes oxygen levels in the blood to fall precipitously, and may lead to unconsciousness in only a few breaths, with no symptoms at all.[3]
You more or less just fall asleep without knowing whats going on.

Inert gas asphyxiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Remember we are animals. Tsarnaev was not able to keep up with the pack. It isn't that the pack needs to slow down for him, it is that we need to leave him to the void.

Szlia

A good day to read some Badinter, especiallyhis 1981 speechhe did before the french assembly voted the abolition of the death penalty.

A relevant passage:

M. Robert Badinter: I know that nowadays - and this is the main problem -, some of you consider capital punishment as a kind of ultimate resort, a kind of extreme defense of democracy against the serious threat represented by terrorism. Guillotine, they think, would possibly protect democracy instead of dishonoring it. This argument reveals a complete ignorance of reality. Indeed, History shows that, if there is a category of crime that has never backed out in front of the threat of death, it is political crime. And, more specifically, if there is a kind of woman or man that the threat of death couldn't make hesitate, it is the terrorist. First, because he faces death during his violent action; then, because deep down in his heart, he feels some dark fascination over violence and death, the one he gives, and also the one he receives.

Terrorism, which, for me, is a major crime against democracy, and that, should it take place in this country, would be repressed and prosecuted with all necessary steadiness, has, as a rallying cry, whatever the ideology that motivates it, the terrible cry of the fascists during the Spain War: "Viva la muerte!". So, believing that one could stop it with death is illusion.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
This kid is guilty as fuck but the WMD charge is retarded. That's seriously lowering the bar. Now we can invade any country capable of making beef stew because they have the components for WMDs by that definition.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'd vote him guilty of double wmd pocession. Who gives a fuck what he's charged with, set him on fire.

iannis

Musty Nester
The evidence before the court
is incontravertable
there's no need for the jury to
retire

Firing squad, honestly. I'm not sure why we don't just put people do death by injecting them with either straight potassium or enough morphine to kill a horse, depending on exactly how humane you wanna be. I don't see much sense in trying to get fancy with drug cocktails.

iannis

Musty Nester
I dunno. It's not like he's somehow more dead because it hurt / didn't, or that you somehow killed him less.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
glad he is guilty and i hope he gets fastracked off this planet. did they do that for T Mcveigh? because dude was executed hella fast.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Having seen enough people get out of prison decades after being wrongfully convicted, it's enough to make me against the death penalty. Until we're 100% perfect in convictions(ie: never?), I can't support any killing of those convicts.
We will never be 100% perfect in convictions, but there are cases that we are 100% sure in and this is one of them. I think most of the bad convictions are based on eye witness testimony and I wouldn't support the death penalty based only on that, but we have better tools these days. I was a juror on a death penalty case once where there was DNA evidence, multiple confessions, and like in this case the defense didn't even bother trying to suggest that he didn't do it. In that kind of case I don't see a problem with the death penalty. If there is any doubt of guilt whatsoever then don't do it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hearing this verdict reminds me of the manhunt. I have never been more captivated by a news story than I was by this manhunt. I came in for lunch, turned on CNN, and didn't leave my chair until like 7 PM even though I had various things I had planned to do that afternoon. It was riveting.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does the firing squad all have bullets or was it all but 1 person has blanks so no one knows who pulls the trigger?

iannis

Musty Nester
Dunno how they do that. I don't think it's even an option anymore. I've always heard that 1 person has blanks so that every man can tell themselves theirs was empty... but dude, who the hell knows. Somehow I doubt it.

Mass doesn't even have executions, does it? So it's not really a debate. If they wanted to execute him, they missed their deadline for reinstating the option.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I seem to remember sometime in the 90s one of the Northeastern states still had a Firing Squad. Dude survived the firing squad and was returned to jail, since he had "served" his Firing Squad execution sentence, but still had a couple life sentences attached.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There was some mexican dude back in the 1910s who survived a firing squad and the point blank shot to the face afterward. Some black dude in the mid 40s survived the chair, failed his appeals, and got the chair again.