BOSTON marathon bombing verdict

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Tsarnaev Mom: Americans Are 'Terrorists' - The Daily Beast

Zubeidat said she was outraged at the verdict in an interview with Vocativ over WhatsApp:

"TODAY THEY ARE KILLING MUSLIMS, AND TOMORROW WILL COME YOUR TURN AND HE, WHO DOUBTS THIS IS DEEPLY MISTAKEN!!!!!? . "THEY WILL PAY FOR MY SONS AND THE SONS OF ISLAM, PERMANENTLY!!! THE TEARS OF THEIR MOTHERS WILL BE FUEL FOR THEM IN HELL, AND ALSO THEIR BLOOD, I AM DOUBTLESS AND ETERNALLY GLAD THAT I KNOW THIS FROM THE WORDS OF THE CREATOR, NOT JUST ANYONE?S WORDS!!!!!!"

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok, so nurture beats nature in this case, I see.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a philosophical question for the thread:

Take an extremely clear-cut case like Dozekar the Bomber or Colorado Joker, where the assailant is witnessed unquestionably committing a horrific act of mass violence and now the cops have him cornered. There is 100% no doubt this is the guy. Knowing the drawn out, sometimes flawed legal process and that jailing or executing the guy costs taxpayers shitloads of money -- should there be a handshake agreement amongst cops that "HE WAS COMIN' RIGHT FOR US" and gets 3 clips emptied into him, then wait 15 minutes before calling EMS? What conditions would need to be met, in your opinion? Or is it never acceptable?

Also, given the many cases of overzealous firearms use, how rotten is our luck that psychopathic murders like these get apprehended without incident? When a guy shoots 50 innocents, is it like "CAREFUL BROS, don't go doing anything rash like shooting that soulless husk that has an automatic rifle & body armor on! We really need the legal process to play out." Sigh.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think the unique implementation and framework for special cases and the possibility for exploitation ensure we do the same old song and dance regardless of the stupidity.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Take an extremely clear-cut case like Dozekar the Bomber or Colorado Joker, where the assailant is witnessed unquestionably committing a horrific act of mass violence and now the cops have him cornered. There is 100% no doubt this is the guy. Knowing the drawn out, sometimes flawed legal process and that jailing or executing the guy costs taxpayers shitloads of money -- should there be a handshake agreement amongst cops that "HE WAS COMIN' RIGHT FOR US" and gets 3 clips emptied into him, then wait 15 minutes before calling EMS? What conditions would need to be met, in your opinion? Or is it never acceptable?
Its too much of a slippery slope to judge jury and executioner police forces. I don't give a fuck what the guy did, I don't want a society governed by police who would shoot a man that just dropped his gun, put up his hands and said "I give up". We think we want that in anger towards horrible crimes, but really none of us want that society at all.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

Also, given the many cases of overzealous firearms use, how rotten is our luck that psychopathic murders like these get apprehended without incident? When a guy shoots 50 innocents, is it like "CAREFUL BROS, don't go doing anything rash like shooting that soulless husk that has an automatic rifle & body armor on! We really need the legal process to play out." Sigh.
Isn't that kinda what the cops do with black people now and we all say its wrong?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
rrr_img_94425.jpg

I'll volunteer.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's called crime and punishment for a reason. I really don't care how much he suffers. He's in the process of dying, really don't care if it's "humane" or not. He's lost his ability to make me give a shit.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I guess I didn't state my position. I think the Colorado movie theater case is the textbook example. I would have no moral issue if they shot him in the parking lot whether he threw his gun down or not. They caught him in the act of shooting >50 unarmed innocent people with no motive, and he would have shot more if his gun didn't jam. He booby trapped his apartment with explosives hoping to kill first responders and neighbors. Now instead of being dead and forgotten, he gets tell the court how he's just too crazy to have consequences for his meticulously plotted actions. The swift death would be too kind for him, but it's more kind to society than paying millions to try him then house him for life, or go through numerous appeals and eventually execute him. Or worse, someone actually buys the bullshit and he walks. It could happen (extremely unlikely).

However, I was trying to come up with the conditions of acceptance and it is a lot harder than I thought. Slippery slope applies. How bad is bad enough? How sure is sure? Scenes of mass violence are chaotic and confusing. Who gets to make the final call? What qualifies them? There's probably more, and I personally can't think of good answers. So guess we're stuck wasting money and time on the lowest dregs of society.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Even tho he was convicted on all counts I would bet there will be one person who does not vote for the death penalty and this fuck head gets life w/o parole instead.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm

I can only think of two negatives so far to killing them outright (which they absolutely deserve, that or a screaming torturous death.)

1. They are useful alive. Be it for studying the social complexities that caused the situation to happen, or rooting out other accomplices/plots.
2. When someone DOES cause atrocities, it reduces the chance (albeit low) of them giving themselves up peacefully if they can only assume they will be promptly assassinated at the earliest convenience when in custody. In fact it probably just promotes them doing as much damage as possible on their way out.

Szlia

If the goal is to reduce the amount of violence in a society, state sponsored violence is part of the disease, not part of the cure.