Breaking Bad

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have always viewed this story as a tragedy. I don't think that means Walt necessarily has to die, if anything that means he very well may not.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh it's a tragedy, but the Death of Walt is central to the tragedy. Realization of his mortality and his inability to accept his life is what started the entire thing.

Having him live happily ever after would be the ultimate cop out. It might be ok as social commentary, but as story telling it couldn't fall flatter.

It doesn't have to be some melodramatic gruesome death scene, or some spagetti western shoot'em'up. The final scene of the series could be Walt sitting on his bed/a prison cot (doesn't matter which), bald again and coughing uncontrollably.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think by any means he will live happily ever after. Him living isn't necessarily a good thing. Look at the end of Godfather 3. Awful movie, but that ending was totally tragic and fitting to who Michael was.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, in this context, I agree with you guys. It started as a man living "out" of his own life. He never accepted the Walt he became and he was hell bent on NOT dying as that Walt. So his goal has really always been to die as the man he "should" have been had he not sold gray matter (Emperor Walt.) The tragedy will come when he sees the hinging happiness on what you control is also a mistake--I tend to think he will "win", with all of his money, but then be laying in bed, dying alone somewhere and realizing that as shitty as he perceived his life before, in terms of family and love, he was already kind of a rich man.

My sentiment just goes more toward the crowd that always seems to crop up when a series like The Sopranos, or this, ends--as if the "bad" guyneedsto be punished, for no other reason then he was bad. Especially in this modern era of investors literally robbing broken down coal miners of their pensions, and then laughing, I seriously think most shows should explore just having the bad guys win. It's why I like GoT. Lets face it, bad guys get ahead.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Didn't Walt make a deal with those one cats at the end of the last season? The scene when he tells the guys to say his name and they say "Heisenberg" and he says "You goddamn right." And then he promised Skylar he would stop with the drug business, right? Isn't that how the season ended?

And of course Hank discovering Walt - that was the best part of the season.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He told Skylar he would stop, other than that we have no indication that he is actually stopping.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
The real tragedy would be Walt surviving and Jesse getting killed. Walt's death would in no way be tragic at this point.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
pretty sure the deal was walt would use the meth that he made from the train robbery and then he was out. he gave jesse his share. skylar accounted for their share and some time afterwards at the party hank takes a shit, grabs the book of walt whitman poems reads the WW message inside and has an epiphany that Walter White was really "Heisenberg" all along. how that transpires into walt buying an automatic rifle from the gun dealer is what we are going to see in august.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
The most tragic ending would be to show Walt sitting, gun in hand, with his back to the wall in his storage unit, staring at the stacks of cash that are now much closer to the ceiling with the dawning realization on his face that everything he has done, everything risk he's taken, and every extreme he's gone to, were all for nothing now that he has gotten his family killed.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That would be some tired, uninspired shit. Any one of us could think up a similar ending. If that is the ending, I will be super pissed.

Not that I'm trying to shit on anyone's idea. I'm just saying, I expect something unexpected given the history of this show and that ending, and similar ones, seem obvious. They have some social commentary on the show but nothing that blatant.

iannis

Musty Nester
I kind of expect Walts son to die, but I expected his son to die in the first half last season... so maybe his son won't get meat grindered.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
That would be some tired, uninspired shit. Any one of us could think up a similar ending. If that is the ending, I will be super pissed.

Not that I'm trying to shit on anyone's idea. I'm just saying, I expect something unexpected given the history of this show and that ending, and similar ones, seem obvious. They have some social commentary on the show but nothing that blatant.
"Most tragic," I never said satisfying. The worst thing that could happen to Walt would be to take his legs out from underneath him by removing what he has always used to justify his actions. Though, I wouldn't really be happy with that ending either, because it's not really an ending. If anything, it's the opposite. The show has always been about Walt's decline, and that just gives too much ground for him to go even further. (I'd rather see something like that happen at the beginning of this "season," just so we could see where Walt goes from there.) And, I think ending in a way that would have us sympathizing with Walt would undermine much of what this show has tried to accomplish.

To be honest, the best ending is going to be something none of us are able to come up with. That's always been the strength of the show. I heard Vince Gilligan once say that the writing of each episode begins with them thinking up what the most obvious ways that they can go, and then eliminating those options. I'll be disappointed if the ending is anything other than something that ends up with my jaw dropped in shock.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Here's the direction I want it to go -

Hank starts slowly piecing things together. Quietly. He has a couple breakthroughs and eventually starts working on Jesse, trying to get him to turn or give something up or anything. So Walt kills Jesse. Hank doesn't give up so Walt kills him too. And Saul. And Skylar. Just week to week to week we the audience have to sit and watch our unfettered villain protagonist kill everyone who mattered in his life and kill them in ways that are horrible, brutal, and cold. The person the audience has been cheering for back from his earliest days of standing up to punks in a clothing store who were bullying his son has now taken everything away from us including the show itself.

But I have always had a soft spot for fiction that desired to punish its audience.

I kind of expect Walts son to die, but I expected his son to die in the first half last season... so maybe his son won't get meat grindered.
Maybe he either dies or something even worse then it, like he gets hooked on Walts own Blue meth talk about Irony.
That would cause Skylar to go even more nuts while eating away at Walts soul.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Is there anyway to see the opening for the 1st episode of this season? I can't find a video of it anywhere.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I hope his kid dies, just because he REALLY annoys me.

tumblr_m9g1kdbBgL1qb5gkjo1_500.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Is there anyway to see the opening for the 1st episode of this season? I can't find a video of it anywhere.
I popped the bluray on and recorded it with my old HD Flip. Enjoy. (PS - My camera has a hard time taking good quality video in a dark environment.)

Might take a few minutes to go live, but whatever.