Bright (2017)

Rime

<Donor>
Most of the low critic reviews are because they went into it thinking it would be a BLM/SJW/Heavy social narrative. It was an action film.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

That's fine, but the 31% just reads as bullshit
yeah. Definitely. I was going to say I'd place it about on par with Rogue 1. maybe a 60-70%.

Then I looked at Rogue 1 on Rotten Tomatos.. 85% critics/87% audience. wtf.. since when was that so well received? Internet reviewers lied to me or something..
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Caliane

I wonder is any/how much of the low critical response is due to NETFLIX, and those are MOVIE critics. Some snobbery might be involved.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I wonder is any/how much of the low critical response is due to NETFLIX, and those are MOVIE critics. Some snobbery might be involved.

I think that's part.

But there seems to be a lot of sentiment regarding racist stereotypes (IE Orcs = African American), I'm VERY tired of this stuff permeating anything fun, whether it's movies, sports, video games.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I thought the previews looked kind of stupid/terrible but the fact several of you are enjoying it I am going to see it.

• 3Solidarity

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I enjoyed it. It had an interesting story. Main characters had some plot armor that was a bit thick at times. I think they could easily make another and expose the back story and magic a bit more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Like what the hell did Tikka do to that assassin.

Yeah I was hoping that would get at least a moment of a side explanation cause that kind of magic is straight up weird as hell. Looked bad ass though, like some sort of neo-future wall art.

• 3Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i watched it earlier today... overall i enjoyed it and would like to see more stories in this world, though the main characters didn't really do much of anything for me. it had this really weird double plot going where the background information was REALLY interesting and felt fairly complicated (in a good way) but then the main characters' plot was overly simple. i think someone said it earlier that it felt like it didn't quite know what kind of movie it wanted to be. first it was a buddy cop movie, then it was training day, then it was the raid... it never felt like it had it's own wings, and then before long, it ran out of runway and just ended.

but again, the stuff going on in the background... i mean, there was a friggen dragon flying around the skyline... how does a dragon fit in with a modern day fantasy setting. i want to see that.

• 1Like

Cybsled

It did give us some cool hints. The flying dragon, the centaur cop, the traffic sign that seemed to denote lizard man crossing, that one woman in the bar that had the odd eyelids (shapeshifting lizardwoman maybe? lol).

Would actually be cool if it was a series...would let you build up the mythology a lot more.

• 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I would probably throw a 6/10 at it? It was better than average to be sure - although i agree with everyone that they really didn't do as much as they could with the source material.

I've been a fan of Edgerton since seeing Animal Kingdom, he did as much as he could in that get up - and a huge fan of Rapace although she was mostly a non-entity; but this was the best movie of Will Smith just being Will Smith in a while. I didn't see Suicide Squad I admit.

The quick slow mo shootout scene with the music overlay was simply awesome and I actually went back and rewatched it after finishing the movie.

• 1Worf

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
enjoyed it a lot. Aside from the Elf district it never seemed heavy handed at introducing the different races. Looking forward to a rewatch later this week.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We know of Elves, Humans, Orcs and Centaurs... who were the other 5 of the 9 races? I saw one short guy who may have been a dwarf/goblin/gnome, but he could have just been a little person. Would have been nice to see more of elf-town and the ultra luxury that seems to be afforded the racial 1%ers.
Well, the very first race we encounter was a fairy that was attacking Ward's bird feeder. Then towards the end of the movie, they talked about a (few?) Dwarf police officer(s) already existing.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There were scenes in this movie that were good, but it was not a good movie. Seems like a wasted opportunity to do more. Was kind of surprised to see the word "nuanced" used in reference to this movie.

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Was this adapted from a book? Is there known lore that they skipped over or altered? I ask because I could understand the disappointment more if there were, but for me coming off an upsetting view of TLJ I enjoyed this movie. Yes, it is not perfect but it is far from horrible. I think they have set it up for a trilogy, or at least I hope so because I would like to see the Dark Lord rise up and the Orc;s get redeemed or some shit like that. I give this movie 7/10 based on going into my first watch with very low expectations. I think expectations are usually what hurt movies the most, the fact that so many of you shit on this movie before I watched it made a big difference in my enjoyment.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think expectations are usually what hurt movies the most, the fact that so many of you shit on this movie before I watched it made a big difference in my enjoyment.

Well then you're welcome. Merry Christmas!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It was alright-- my main complaint is wasted opportunities that were filled with generic action. I was hungering for more world lore, backstory, and most of all-- magic. The Inferni were cool, the Feds were cool, and the scenes involving magic and the fairy were cool. Other than that, it came off as a generic cop/buddy action flick. It was basically Will Smith from Bad Boys, just replace Martin Lawrence with an Orc. If they had ditched the diversity hire backstory, shortened the whole "every gang is chasing us" sub-plot, and simply replaced it all with the two of them responding to 911 calls early in the show -- specifically introducing situations that provided more lore background ( Fairy robberies, orc domestic violence, Elf money laundering, whatever), it would have been a lot better.