Bright (2017)

spronk

FPS noob
Its common in police and military, it was also used a lot in Tom Clancy novels

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Is "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" a common phrase, or is that more FOH specific? If so, we know what @Screamfeeder has been workin on.
pretty old. I can't find any source. a few place asking if anyone knows the source.

Found, a thread on ar15.com asking if anyone knew, and/or if they started it, dated 2009. in that thread, a vid from 2008 is linked, of a woman taunting a bear, and getting mauled.
"the darwin awards" started in 1993. I see one note, suggesting she started it. it certainly does seem like something she would have said.. but have no specific citation.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Was this adapted from a book? Is there known lore that they skipped over or altered? I ask because I could understand the disappointment more if there were, but for me coming off an upsetting view of TLJ I enjoyed this movie. Yes, it is not perfect but it is far from horrible. I think they have set it up for a trilogy, or at least I hope so because I would like to see the Dark Lord rise up and the Orc;s get redeemed or some shit like that. I give this movie 7/10 based on going into my first watch with very low expectations. I think expectations are usually what hurt movies the most, the fact that so many of you shit on this movie before I watched it made a big difference in my enjoyment.
It's not that it was the worst movie ever, it's just not good. It's very bland, which for a movie about magic and shit is not great. Same story, beat for beat, you've seen a thousand times. Interchangable characters, predictable plot, etc. It had some decent scenes but there's just a million of these mediocre buddy-<insert relationship/role> movies out there. Simply changing the setting of Lethal Weapon doesn't make a good movie automatically.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
It's not that it was the worst movie ever, it's just not good. It's very bland, which for a movie about magic and shit is not great. Same story, beat for beat, you've seen a thousand times. Interchangable characters, predictable plot, etc. It had some decent scenes but there's just a million of these mediocre buddy-<insert relationship/role> movies out there. Simply changing the setting of Lethal Weapon doesn't make a good movie automatically.
Fair point, I guess I am just happy have a movie that was not made for the SJWs.

• 1Solidarity

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
sequel was apparently greenlit in the last few days. As opposed to TLJ, critical reviews are shit, but fan reviews are much much higher.

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I kinda enjoyed this movie. Was a 7/10 or so. Dumb action movie with really interesting lore and setting.

It could have been more interesting in a lot of ways, but all the things that were bad about it did little to nothing to detract from how enjoyable it was to me or detract from the world itself. I'll definitely check out a sequal. My best advice is to go into this with low expectations of a popcorn muncher.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Sequel has so much potential. Probably the main thing that is causing people to like this so much when compared to TLJ.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I watched this tonight more because of the critic to audience rating discrepancy than anything else. I liked it. It was good/OK, 7 to 8 out of 10. I don't know if I would have Ayer direct the next one; he seems to be stuck in a rut, and while this movie was good (just good) the best part of the movie other than Will Smith being Will Smith and Joel Edgerton's relationship was the lived-in nature of the world. I want to see where this ride takes them and what the world has to offer, and I don't know that Ayer is the man to do that.

Definitely worth watching, though, if just for the crazy half Shadowrun nature of the world plus End of Watch plus Lethal Weapon plus whatever.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I liked it. People fawn over garbage like logan lucky and shit on a fun movie like this. I dont get it.

• 1Solidarity

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I agree that they could've done so much more with what was a really cool and interesting setting, but it was still a fun action movie with some pretty cool visuals. May not a great movie, but I do think it's a fun one.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This wasn't terrible..but there were some cringe moments.
Eh, there were some moments where it seemed kind of rote buddy cop flick, to be sure. There were some great moments in it as well, such as Will Smith's slo-mo shooting shown in the trailer and all that surrounds it. This movie, compare and contrast to the TLJ, has improved in my consideration since viewing for me, really. I think that has more to do with where Bright sits in relation to its audience but I will take this line of thinking to the TLJ thread. Bright's faults lie more with what David Ayer's sweetspot is, I think. Hopefully the sequel can overcome those limitations.

Last edited:

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
starts out with classic Will Smith jokes (from other characters too)
not a bad thing; oddly refreshing.
Orc has this Drax thing going on and i like it
then it gets too hardcore badcop bad will smith acting
then it gets leeloo multipass and im done

could be good. but i forsaw it topping 7/10 at best. no time for that.

drop will smith, save the money, make it into a series,
Alien Nation anyone?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i still think it's so stupid for Will Smith's character to end up being a bright at the end. would have been so much better if Jakoby had been the first orcish bright.

• 1Solidarity

Rime

<Donor>
i still think it's so stupid for Will Smith's character to end up being a bright at the end. would have been so much better if Jakoby had been the first orcish bright.

My sentiments exactly.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Well

not that I disagree, but Jakoby was already Thrall/Orc Jesus, so they had to throw Smith a bone. Plus they said human Brights were the only known Brights after Elves.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well

not that I disagree, but Jakoby was already Thrall/Orc Jesus, so they had to throw Smith a bone. Plus they said human Brights were the only known Brights after Elves.

those are both reasons why it would have been awesome/make sense for Jakoby to be the first orc bright. Will Smith bright made no sense for his character arc.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
those are both reasons why it would have been awesome/make sense for Jakoby to be the first orc bright. Will Smith bright made no sense for his character arc.

yeah, Smith as a bright was pretty deus ex machina and made sense only because the actor was the headliner. Jakoby as a bright was foreshadowed in several points, despite it not actually happening