Brooklyn Nine-Nine

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
when terry got profiled for being black, crews said that happened to him in real life and he said it was important to him for it to be in the show. Stephanie Beatriz is bi in real life and said it was important to her to explore that dynamic in the show.

i'm not particularly interested in those storylines, but there IS a place for them as long as they are genuine and not just put in the show to tick some boxes. progressive for the sake of progressivism is a disease. that being said, a story about being bi isn't exactly cutting edge, and terry's episode about being racially profiled was like 6 years ago.

i haven't watched the new stuff yet so i can't comment on that, but you can cover some of this stuff without being "going woke"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
You cant really say this show went woke when half the cast is black or hispanic and has multiple gay or bisexual characters since episode one. I remember seeing an interview with Andy Samberg saying they had to change a lot of the final season because of what was going on in the world and them being a show about cops. So it kinda makes sense why it is topical.

I disagree, you can say it for pretty much exactly that reason. They had a very diverse cast, including racial and sexual orientation diversity.. But that was never the focus of the show. Outside a few occasional jokes where the gay characters pretty much made fun of gay stereotypes.. It was a great and funny show.

But then the show suddenly because ABOUT BLM, and ABOUT sexuality wokeness and crap, etc....

And unlike before, they dove into that and stopped being funny. They're job is to be funny, they stopped doing their job.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the woke episodes just weren't funny. When your show becomes about the message and loses what made the show work, you're being woke.

• 2Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the woke episodes just weren't funny. When your show becomes about the message and loses what made the show work, you're being woke.

The last thing this world needed was "A Very Special Brooklyn Nine-Nine"... Yet they have done multiple of those now and show no sign of stopping.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So that brings the count of unwatchably woke episodes up to 2? That's not bad for an 8 season show.

• 2Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Cant say this show got corrupted but i had a lot of it as backround noise. i thought getting rid of of chealsea (the secretary was an improvement in a way) she never made sense

• 1Garbage

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I downloaded the first six episodes of this season since Hatorade said the Judy episode was good. And even despite knowing the first episode was going to be bad, I figured we'd just leave it on and not pay attention before picking it back up.

But wow, it was so much more in your face than I was expecting. I was a bit speechless. I've seen a lot of woke nonsense on TV and this felt like they were trying to cram as much of it into an episode as possible. We didn't even make it 5 minutes before we both agreed to stop watching.

Don't think we'll bother finishing out the series. What absolute garbage.

• 1Solidarity

Homsar

I downloaded the first six episodes of this season since Hatorade said the Judy episode was good. And even despite knowing the first episode was going to be bad, I figured we'd just leave it on and not pay attention before picking it back up.

But wow, it was so much more in your face than I was expecting. I was a bit speechless. I've seen a lot of woke nonsense on TV and this felt like they were trying to cram as much of it into an episode as possible. We didn't even make it 5 minutes before we both agreed to stop watching.

Season 8 ep1?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Others are right, after that first one they have been much better than this season, going closer to what made the show great.

but yeah, you can say it’s just one episodes but that single one was the biggest woke play I’ve ever seen. It was so overtly over the top and hamfisted. It’s was unforgivable.

• 1Like

Homsar

Show has made every character great. Andre Braugher was amazing in his roll, and no character felt like they were getting to much screen time which i thoght jack ass would.

Every character got equal love it felt. Also when it hit serious personal issues it handled it the right way and ended quick with normal help

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Too many blacks and fags. Show sucks 1 star.

• 2Garbage
  • 1Edgelord

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

So last night I decided we'd try again and just go straight to the 2nd episode. We made it about 8 minutes.

Wife and I have been watching The Office again and I think it's ruined most comedies for us. B99 (at least episode 2 of this season) just seemed so...lazy? It was just loud screaming with forced punchline after forced punchline. Neither one of us could even pay attention because it was just so frenetic.

We enjoyed all the seasons up until this point, so I'm not sure if it's us, or if the show is just trying too hard.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't remember that specifically, but this season has been not so great. i think it's trying to do the "responsible" thing by addressing the elephant in the room about being a cop show post george floyd/blm riots, but also trying to be a comedy.

i'm always surprised by how escapism entertainment forgets that it's escapism... maybe i'm not?

• 1Like

Animosity

Ya this final season has not been good. I thought episode 2 was probably the best because of Captain Holt. But otherwise its very forgettable, like the final season of the Office.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well it is over, final episode was a heist and a lame one at that, but the coma fake out was pretty good. Not much to say, Andre Braugher Caption Holt remains the best part of the show.

• 1Like