Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Show has been funny all season long without any activity in the thread, but the SJW writers get off the leash for a single episode and immediate REEEE time.
good ensemble comedy shows are like an IT department, when everything is functioning as normal I'm fine to just go along with the ride but when something is broken it's really broken and needs to get fixed asap. This was jarring and out of place for the plot and for the character. They seem to handle these situations completely fine 90% of the time which makes a miss that much more glaring because I know they could have handled it better and it was just a tacked on illegal immigration subplot. It completely fucked up the story circle. Hitchcock and Scully didn't change or grow because of the path of their plot they completely changed as characters in service to their plot. It's completely lazy and they've thrown out their writing tools twice now to do this. At least this was in a bubble and didn't affect the completed story circles of the other plots. The rest of the season has been incredibly funny, the rest of the episode was incredibly funny

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Worst heist ever. I love Rosa but seems pretty clear one or more of the writers love her a lot more.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Worst heist ever. I love Rosa but seems pretty clear one or more of the writers love her a lot more.

Rosa is getting a lot of prime time and lines in this season... They're also hitting that problematic phase that ensemble shows hit. They have so many great characters that it's difficult to have every story involve each with each getting enough space and their own moments and it still making a cohesive story. So they're making it where not each show has 2-3 story lines going which usually don't even involve one another just juggling up the character pairings.

Still, with that said the wife and I still enjoyed this season. Although that part involving someone who was undocumented was massively forced cringeworthy wokeness. Also interesting to see them retire Wunch, yet still have Kyra Sedgewick directing episodes.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
This show wasn’t progressive enough so they had to shoe horn in Rosa being “bi” because they already had established her as straight and dating men.

nowsince she’s the only lgbt character if they want to avoid being cancelled they have to make her a main focus

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I can't remember any other heist episode that boiled down to just snatch and grab, this felt like they just completely ran out of ideas. If they hadn't already blown through their Doug Judy appearance for the season this would have been a great time to have him involved rather than just bum rushing the guy with the gems three times in a row. The ending was really stupid as she only stole the real gems once but then gets credit for stealing her own fake gems, should have gone the route that different people won all three times and then she had to present her gem switching montage at the end and she had set up this year long con where she had switched them out in order for everybody else to fight over who really won and draw attention off of herself. This has pretty severe Community s4 flashbacks right now with the writers not understanding why their ideas worked in the past and going through the motions superficially to add in another paintball or fort episode because that's what we like, not the characterization attached. Went from bad c-plot last episode to entire lazy episode. Hopefully it's just a hiccup

spronk

FPS noob
Gina was the only character I really despised, after she left the shows been decent. Its kinda crazy that its still ok after SEVEN seasons, but none of the episodes really are so fantastic there is anything to talk about.

Baby incoming though which is almost always a death knell for comedies

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Time to go ULTRA WOKE

Its really hard to be funny when one side only wants you to proselytize and the other wants you to be funny like shows used to be before everyone's pussy got hurt. Really hard to navigate the middle of those two completely opposing philosophies.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
They haven't let me down yet. I'll give them a chance with this new direction.

spronk

FPS noob
2 episodes from season 8, the final season, dropped last night. I have a feeling the show is gonna be trash since the writers and cast have talked a lot over the last 2 years about the usual shit (comedy about cops, BLM, racism, yadda yadda) but I am sort of morbidly curious at how bad it could really get.

Apparently the first episode involves George Floyd so should be good times!!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I loved this show so much... then they pivoted "woke" and suddenly we have the "Empathizing with Rosa being Bi", BLM nonsense, etc and I stopped. I want to say that was the first non-NBC season.

If it pivots back, someone please tell me. heh

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I loved this show so much... then they pivoted "woke" and suddenly we have the "Empathizing with Rosa being Bi", BLM nonsense, etc and I stopped. I want to say that was the first non-NBC season.

If it pivots back, someone please tell me. heh

they started on fox then went to nbc and the woke shit started

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
So I just watched the season premier. This is beyond shit. Don’t event watch.

the episode consisted of one cop resigning in the wake of george Floyd. And how all cops are complicit in racism. Meanwhile Boyle spends the whole episode talking about how to be anti racist.

it was literally the most hamfisted and awful woke shit I’ve ever seen

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Well, they put a slug in another good piece of entertainment. I've pretty much given up on the lot.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I just watched the season premier. This is beyond shit. Don’t event watch.

the episode consisted of one cop resigning in the wake of george Floyd. And how all cops are complicit in racism. Meanwhile Boyle spends the whole episode talking about how to be anti racist.

it was literally the most hamfisted and awful woke shit I’ve ever seen
Episode 2 goes back to normal, almost every got some laughs out of me.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, they put a slug in another good piece of entertainment. I've pretty much given up on the lot.
I mean, luckily this is the last season.

And it started with the woke shit before switching. Terry's racism episode was in the 4th season (where he gets profiled for being black).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You cant really say this show went woke when half the cast is black or hispanic and has multiple gay or bisexual characters since episode one. I remember seeing an interview with Andy Samberg saying they had to change a lot of the final season because of what was going on in the world and them being a show about cops. So it kinda makes sense why it is topical.