Butthurt white guys, an Asian virgin and an angry lesbian walk into a bar...

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Indian food is not "cheap" around me, it's very expensive, article retarded. There's an Indian place across the street from my work I never go to because it's too expensive.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
This is perhaps the most warped article I have ever seen. He does realize that French, Germany and Italian foods all began cheaply in the U.S. as their demographics grew, right? Go to any Italian neighborhood and thevast majority of our restaurants are pizza shops that offer food for take out. Most of the older Italian shops are just that, pizza shops and that's because most immigrants made food FOR OTHER IMMIGRANTS, not for "white" people. Because Italians were mostly poor, our food reflected that. It's why Italian-American food is different from Italian food you find in Italy. Eventually this food caught on and become very popular, and THEN you began seeing an uptick in 'fancier' Italian restaurants (And more restaurants using northern Italian recipes--which, shocker to the asshole in the Article, often don't even use pasta). But on the whole, the vast majority of "Italian cuisine" sold in the U.S. is STILL the cheap shit at steak/pizza shops, and the Italian migration happened 100 years ago--it just takes time for minority enclaves to homogenize, that's all.

These people have such a fucking huge problem with causality. Because immigrants sell food cheap, it must be because white people are racist. It can't be because most of the immigrants who come here are impoverished and thus the biggest market for immigrant food WILL BE POOR PEOPLE, and so the cheapest recipes from back home (Those that rely on a lot of spice to cover cheaper ingredients) is what ends up making a bulk of the market. I get the feeling this guy has never been to a poor town in India, everything is cooked with 50 different types of peppers. Guess what? That's the food that makes it to most Indian places. \

But as Fana said, it's not hard to find higher end Indian places, especially in the last 10 years...Shocker! As Indians have grown more affluent in the U.S., more complex and higher end recipes are filtering over. These people are fucking morons. Like they can't fathom all the variables that go into human behavior, everything gets distilled down to 'how can this be tied to racism'.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Whenever I make curry, I think to myself "These cow hating ni
cool.png
cool.png
ers sure have inferior food. LOL!"

Shit, did I admit to making curry? Please don't tell the cultural appropriation police.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Greatest hits:

we rush to dub "ethnic."

we think these foods are inferior.

We want "ethnic food" to be authentic, but we are almost never willing to pay for it.

There is ample evidence that we treat these foods as inferior

we want our Indian food fast, and we want it cheap.

refusal to treat it with the same prestige we treat others

Food that isn't associated with whites will be called ethnic.

That's why you'll hear people couple together Indian food and Thai food, and then say something like, 'Boy, Italian is so great and diverse.'

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Greatest hits:
That last sentence is entirely a figment of the authors imagination. The only time anyone uses the phrase "ethnic food" is to generally refer to all non-American cuisine.

"Hey honey do think we should have ethnic food tonight or just get some italian?" Is a sentence literally nobody has said ever.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Uhhhhh I've had some seriously pricey Japanese, Chinese, & Indian food.

Peasant food spreads from cultures first because peasants are the most numerous, and cooking is very good education:income proposition for many immigrants. Chinese, Indian and Japanese luxury food culture has spread beyond their homelands because there's a fuckton of wealthy people from those places in North America today.

Capitalism!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
That last sentence is entirely a figment of the authors imagination. The only time anyone uses the phrase "ethnic food" is to generally refer to all non-American cuisine.

"Hey honey do think we should have ethnic food tonight or just get some italian?" Is a sentence literally nobody has said ever.
If it isn't burgers, chicken fingers, pancakes, bacon, clam chowder, apple pie, or BBQ, it's probably ethnic food.