Buying a car?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Im just an interiors guy so thats what I know.
I wish the door panels on the 370z were alcantara instead of the cloth. Since the alcantara is a synthetic does it cost that much more for the manufacturers to use? I know when I've seen it it's normally more expensive than leather.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Never heard of it until you mentioned it here. And considering its only used in very high end applications now, im assuming its expensive as hell. Might also need more expensive manufacturing processes to mold, etc.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
and how bitching would it be to toss a CVT in the Z and give it like 8 or whatever gears that the user could program...its not like it would be hard for the computer on the damn CVT to do this- add in some safety rules so someone cant f-up their car and it would be a tuners dream- have some presets in it etc etc.
I can't think of a transmission I would wantlessin a sportscar than a CVT. I would always op for manual over that shit, even if it was programmable.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I wish the door panels on the 370z were alcantara instead of the cloth. Since the alcantara is a synthetic does it cost that much more for the manufacturers to use? I know when I've seen it it's normally more expensive than leather.
They are alcantra on mine. Do you have the touring package or just sports?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have base + sports - I didn't know touring had alcantra. I know the roadsters have it on the knee pads rather than leather.

The WRX STi I drove before I bought the Z had alcantra seats which were nice.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the touring package(my 40th only came in one config, which had sports & touring - no nav) adds leather seats with alcantra in the centers and alcantra in the doors.

Siliconemelons

I can't think of a transmission I would wantlessin a sportscar than a CVT. I would always op for manual over that shit, even if it was programmable.
CVTs love em or hate em ;-) but yes a traditional mannual is always the top choice I know that... I just figured it would be a cool feature to maybe ease people into seeing the nissan CVT in a better light than what is thought of when people say CVT- they have put a lot into getting their CVT high torque and HP- to all things their own application..

as for interiors- one thing I love about almost all nissan interiors...and maybe its the tech side...is the buttons etc are all simple and never have I see a billion button interior a-la ford/gm/toyota as of late.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Dont Infinity's have the stiched leather dash look? seems like quite a process to create the look- having been in my friends 3rd row mercedes SUV thing ML? GL? the big one...and testing the new GM third row trifecta- Enclave Traverse etc- you can tell a big diff from doing that stiched look right (mercedes) and looking like it is an afterthought (GM...even the SRX gave me that feel)

The platform the Altima/Murano etc are on is not a bad platform...its just not... "sport car" able- unless they add to the underworkings a lot etc- and it will have the 3.7 right... I mean...there is not much to make people buy a maxima at the moment with the new Altimas on the showroom now that they got a redesign...and where is the new gen coupe- again if it goes head to head with the Genisis and the BRZ crowd it needs the 3.7 as well as a electronic mannual to go with the CVT- same on the maxima- give it the CVT- the newest one is great- but give people an electronic button for "standard mode" that has like 6-8 "gear" settings - an electronic mannual of those said gears and then "Smooth" mode or some fancy term that lets it run like a normal CVT... and how bitching would it be to toss a CVT in the Z and give it like 8 or whatever gears that the user could program...its not like it would be hard for the computer on the damn CVT to do this- add in some safety rules so someone cant f-up their car and it would be a tuners dream- have some presets in it etc etc.

and yes 50$ a shot it a big chunk of manufacturing change... the new taillights on the mustang cost about 1500$ for the array or something- it was on the chopping block before it intially got installed in a test car to show the suits etc....the dude that designed em stood by them it almost cost him his job...and now imo its one of the best things about the new gen mustangs.
CVT's typically can't take any significant amount of torque so they are used on small light low-power vehicles.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
CVTs love em or hate em ;-) but yes a traditional mannual is always the top choice I know that... I just figured it would be a cool feature to maybe ease people into seeing the nissan CVT in a better light than what is thought of when people say CVT- they have put a lot into getting their CVT high torque and HP- to all things their own application..

as for interiors- one thing I love about almost all nissan interiors...and maybe its the tech side...is the buttons etc are all simple and never have I see a billion button interior a-la ford/gm/toyota as of late.
DCT's are better than traditional manuals in every measurable way aside from fun and simplicity.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I would take a DCT based on performance(and definitely over a CVT), but the fun factor is...lacking.

Siliconemelons

CVT's typically can't take any significant amount of torque so they are used on small light low-power vehicles.
Traditionally yes, and thats a stigma Nissan is trying to dispell- and its also the CVT technology that Nissan made and is keeping close to their chest- each generation the CVT gets better and better- even from my 2009 murano, mother in law's 2011 Altima and my 2013 Quest you can tell the leaps in design above the standard differances of the car types- the responce, power etc are all movieng up.

The new pathfinder for example uses a CVT and it produces 260hp 240torque and is rated at 5000lb tow - not the best in its "class" but certianly not a light duty... and Dodge Durango - imo the most tow-truck type capable of the 3rd row crossovers is 290hp and rated at 6000lb "standard" tow and 7200lb "max" on its upper trim- whatever that means to increase its tow rateing. This is however before they toss in the new benz 8 speed trans on the durango.

Stepping the CVT out of its "myth" zones is a task- and in practice they are- its just hard to change perception.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
A CVT that could hold high torque would be a theoretical ideal performer. I don't have any preconception against a CVT, I just want to see it work. If it works, awesome, should be ideal.

Siliconemelons

oh so true, this I believe is the first time they put a CVT on something that they promote as a type of work horse... The murano could tow...some, I have seen a pop up or some jetskis behind a murano... But I am curious to see how the pathfinder fairs if pushed... I should find some reviews...goodbye tomorrows workday! Heh

Rham

Trakanon Raider
Soygen, your 370z looks sweet. I never noticed the 40th Z and the 40th RX8 looked similar in color.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think I had ever seen the 40th RX8. It's like Nissan completely ripped off the color scheme(not that that's a bad thing)!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any experience or opinion on Hyundais in general, or the new Santa Fes specifically?

Leaning towards buying one for my wife, and I've never personally owned anything other than a Ford(family that used to work for Ford). Seems great, relatively inexpensive for a mid-sized SUV, longer than average warranty(5yr 60K mile bumper-to-bumper), lot of nice features that similar SUVs from other manufacturers don't have like reclining rear seats and lots of extra storage under the pad in the back. Solid gas mileage for a medium size SUV (21 city 29hwy). We test drove Santa Fes, Nissan Muranos, Ford Explorers, Mazda CX-9, and a few others and nothing can beat the Hyundai in the combination of price/size/gas mileage. It's basically priced like a small SUV, gets gas mileage like a small SUV, but is mid-sized.

Am I missing anything here?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only caveat (I've said this in the other thread) is that Hyndai dealers/salesmen are the worst of the worst when it comes to scumbags.

Siliconemelons

Anyone have any experience or opinion on Hyundais in general, or the new Santa Fes specifically?

Leaning towards buying one for my wife, and I've never personally owned anything other than a Ford(family that used to work for Ford). Seems great, relatively inexpensive for a mid-sized SUV, longer than average warranty(5yr 60K mile bumper-to-bumper), lot of nice features that similar SUVs from other manufacturers don't have like reclining rear seats and lots of extra storage under the pad in the back. Solid gas mileage for a medium size SUV (21 city 29hwy). We test drove Santa Fes, Nissan Muranos, Ford Explorers, Mazda CX-9, and a few others and nothing can beat the Hyundai in the combination of price/size/gas mileage. It's basically priced like a small SUV, gets gas mileage like a small SUV, but is mid-sized.

Am I missing anything here?
The 2 row or the 3rd row? - as the CX-9 and explorer are "Large" crossovers as the Murano is a Mid- as is the 2 row santa fe' - the new Ford Escape and maybe the Edge- and the CX-7 would be comparable to the 2 row- santa fe, murano etc- as the - the Explorer, CX-9, Durango, 3rd Row Santa Fe, Pathfinder are all in range of each othr for the 3rd row crossover segments.

When I bought my Murano- that I love- I didn't have the new generation of Santa Fe or Grand Cherokee or I most likely would have gotten one of them. Relatives have had 3 or so hyundi's and they are good cars and come with nice warranty's etc. I do not really have any bias on them like many do.

If your wanting a 2 row I would take a look at the Grand Cherokee, and 3rd row the Durango- both pleasantly surprised me after Jeeps very shitty shittyness of the 2000-2010 :p

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the CX-9 was the one outlier that we test drove, since it had a 3rd row, so I consider it more of a large SUV. We decided we didn't need a 3rd row, it would just be folded down 99% of the time for the extra cargo space. I own a Ford Escape now, and my father has both an Explorer(without 3rd row) and an Edge, and the Sante Fe was every bit as roomy as the Explorer/Edge, it was significantly bigger than my Escape, yet the gas mileage was more on par with the Escapes than an Explorer.

We did like the Murano quite a bit, but it's about ~5K more for a similarly equipped model compared to a Santa Fe, and the Santa Fe is significantly better gas mileage, like 21/29 instead of the Muranos 18/24. My wife has owned a Nissan in the past and loved it, but we almost can't argue against this Santa Fe unless they have some horrible reliability issues that we just don't know about.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah the CX-9 was the one outlier that we test drove, since it had a 3rd row, so I consider it more of a large SUV. We decided we didn't need a 3rd row, it would just be folded down 99% of the time for the extra cargo space. I own a Ford Escape now, and my father has both an Explorer(without 3rd row) and an Edge, and the Sante Fe was every bit as roomy as the Explorer/Edge, it was significantly bigger than my Escape, yet the gas mileage was more on par with the Escapes than an Explorer.

We did like the Murano quite a bit, but it's about ~5K more for a similarly equipped model compared to a Santa Fe, and the Santa Fe is significantly better gas mileage, like 21/29 instead of the Muranos 18/24. My wife has owned a Nissan in the past and loved it, but we almost can't argue against this Santa Fe unless they have some horrible reliability issues that we just don't know about.
This is good to know. We drove a friends 2013 Escape Titanium and it seemed REALLY small. Plus my wife thought the steering wheel was too small and this will be her car...

We are trying to stick with Ford since her brother in law is sales manager as some dealership around here, but we'll see. Personally I like the Explorer but everyone is trying to talk me out of it since we only (soon) have one kid...