California trying GPS-tracking mileage tax for 2016

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I think their big worry is electrics becoming viable. Once they do - zero gas consumption is an eventuality with just as much road wear and tear. And taxing electricity for the specific use would probably be tricky.
On top of this, the additional price of fuel then further encourages consumers to turn to more fuel efficient modes of travel, which drops fuel based taxes even more and so on. Anyone wanna take any bets on the gas companies themselves pushing for the taxation model to transition away from being consumption based?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hearing a bunch of liberals bitch about over-reaching government taxation is like listening to fat bitches complain about the calorie content of Twinkies.

You're all hypocrites and faggots.
Only partisans think of independent thinking as hypocrisy.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
From the fucking article: "California wants to try charging car owners by the mile instead of having them pay at the pump."

That doesn't say in plain English that they'd remove the state taxes on gas - but it heavily implies it to anyone with any reading comprehension that it's their plan. Whether they follow through on that plan is questionable (and we already know your take being that you think the Tea Party is a good movement...)
You apparently failed to read a single thing I wrote.

You think they will lower the price of gas?If I were a oil company I'd love this too, as I'd be planning on adjusting the price of gas so there is no difference in what you pay at the pump. There a completely different psychology about paying a tax automatically, and actually paying a tax at a later time. Imagine if we gave everyone in this country their full paychecks and then made them pay a $10,000 bill at the end of the year. We'll never do that, because people don't realize how much it actually is until you're writing a check for it.

The price of gas will stay the same -- butyou'll just have to pay a tax [sic: the GPS-Tracking Mileage Tax] at a later time as well.
My point was the price of gas would stay the same because the oil companies can (and likely will with justification) adjust it without people getting up in arms about it because they are already used to paying really high gas prices in Cali, and this law would cause the delivery prices to jump, which gets passed onto the consumer. I never even remotely said that removing the tax wasn't part of the plan.

OneOfOne_sl said:
Anyways, he's not saying we'll pay the tax twice, he's saying even if the gas tax is dropped completely, the people selling gas will raise their prices to total current levels so filling up your tank costs the same. And you'll still pay the new tax.
Yes, this exactly.

Vaclav_sl said:
Well then I did read it the right way - so fuck you - and gas stations have never operated that way, nor have gas refineries.
Nor have they ever had to pay a per-mile tax on delivery. Guess who's paying that for the delivery of the gas and the ethanol oxygenating additive?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The truly stupid thing is to think the gas tax would go away. There's no fucking way they'd give up one revenue stream just because they got another.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
A bunch of Americans complaining about the cost of driving is downright hilarious. Some people have said "yeah well transit sucks" and that you have "no choice" about commuting. Have you ever wondered how the low cost of driving single occupant vehicles has influenced the built form of your cities, and the lack of decent transit in most of them? It might have something to do with the US having by far the cheapest gasoline prices of any developed country. There's a cost associated with all those roads, freeways, and highways and someone has to pay for it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
A bunch of Americans complaining about the cost of driving is downright hilarious. Some people have said "yeah well transit sucks" and that you have "no choice" about commuting. Have you ever wondered how the low cost of driving single occupant vehicles has influenced the built form of your cities, and the lack of decent transit in most of them? It might have something to do with the US having by far the cheapest gasoline prices of any developed country. There's a cost associated with all those roads, freeways, and highways and someone has to pay for it.
no doubt. A lot of people either think the government gets plenty of money to do it already (They do, but it always wants more.) or they violently oppose the idea of government tracking. I am a member of the latter category, and somewhat the former.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
fuck that, you should always know where your tax dollars are going and why its being spent. introducing new taxes especially a new tax that comes with uncle sam sitting in the passenger seat with you judging your driving habits needs to be heavily scrutinized.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Most people are complaining about being tracked by GPS, not having to pay a tax to drive.
Cool. Then I'm sure that doubling or tripling the fuel tax overnight would go over much better with the voting populace. For reference:

20100925_inc351.gif

It's weird that all those countries above the US actually have transit systems worth half a shit, and think that commuting 60 miles to work borders on insanity.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
id rather the fuel tax were 6000 times what it is than have government gps in my car.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
id rather the fuel tax were 6000 times what it is than have government gps in my car.
There's also the fact that this isn't a tax on a commodity (ie., fuel). It is a tax on your own personal movements. That's kinda spooky.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Cool. Then I'm sure that doubling or tripling the fuel tax overnight would go over much better with the voting populace. For reference:

It's weird that all those countries above the US actually have transit systems worth half a shit, and think that commuting 60 miles to work borders on insanity.
I don't understand your point. Is anyone in this thread suggesting or even talking about the fuel tax in the U.S. doubling or tripling? The current tax on fuel in California is $.53/gallon, so if this tax goes to 1.5 cents per mile driven then anything under 35 MPG is a loss for the state compared to where it is currently.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I expect someone to mount an opposition based on the constitutional right to travel.

That should be a weird case.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nor have they ever had to pay a per-mile tax on delivery. Guess who's paying that for the delivery of the gas and the ethanol oxygenating additive?
Very little gas delivery is done via vehicle and right now they're paying gas tax for the same deliveries anyhow, and with the likely less than average efficiency on the trucks. So assuming "per mile" tax would be based on average efficiency they'd likely be paying LESS IN TAXES.

Unless you're assuming that the gas tax isn't going away, but remember that they're stating it's intended to replace the gas tax based on their own damn statements - so to assume otherwise is just conspiracy theory bullshit.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also people with tracking worries may want to read the article - the Oregon program they're cloning has two "GPS devices" they'll be testing - one of which does an odometer count, the other actually tracks location.

So one of the variants they refer to as "GPS" really isn't a "GPS". So rather than kneejerking against the idea entirely, you should pressure for them to only stick with a odometer variant.

[Although honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't just tag it onto inspections rather than wasting money on the "GPS" or real GPS]

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
I expect someone to mount an opposition based on the constitutional right to travel.

That should be a weird case.
That wouldn't make it past summary judgment. The SCOTUS jurisprudence on that issue essentially states that as long as you aren't completely barred from interstate travel then a state's exercise of its police power to tax is constitutional. The tax at issue here would have to impinge upon someone's ability to travel between states, which it doesn't.

The constitutional "right to travel" embraces at least three different components: (1) it protects the right of a citizen of one state to enter and to leave another state; (2) it protects the right to be treated as a welcome visitor rather than an unfriendly alien when temporarily present in the second state; and (3) for those travelers who elect to become permanent residents, it protects the right to be treated like other citizens of that state.
Saenz v. Roe, U.S.Cal.1999, 119 S.Ct. 1518, 526 U.S. 489, 143 L.Ed.2d 689.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So lets see,to drive a car we now have....

Auto Sales tax, used or new...
registration fees
License fees
license plate fees
gas tax
per mile tax
forced insurance which im sure is taxed along the way somehow, maybe even twice.

And absolutely no alternative mass transit system available.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Furthermore, whats to stop this GPS data being used in other ways in the future? Like excessive speed tax, getting tickets in the mail. Insurance companies getting on board and charging you per driving habits, now with data to back it up...

They say it wont be, but I would not be surprised they change the rules when all these devices are firmly implanted into every vehicle, better yet, built in by the auto manufacturer because of new NTSB rules or some shit.