Camelot Unchained MMO

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
It'll be really awkward if they don't get Sanya (Sonya?) back as a community manager. She was, afterall, the CM for like a decade of DAoC.
I agree with you that it would be pretty weird without her, but I doubt it will be since she's over at Undead Labs now and with the success of State of Decay it might not be the best move but who knows?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
It'll be really awkward if they don't get Sanya (Sonya?) back as a community manager. She was, afterall, the CM for like a decade of DAoC.
I disagree completely. I'd prefer they hired someone new who hasn't had to deal with the neckbeards and who doesn't have a history in the genre. This game is not DAOC. Not all of us were big fans of Sonya (Sanya? I can't remember either).

I really don't see why they need to hire anyone at all. Since this is supposed to be a transparent kickstarter type game, why not show some cajones and get rid of the middle man<woman?> and just have the devs talk right to the community?

Plus, Jacobs seems to live for this sort of interaction. My guess is the 'Community Manager' will be a 20something girl who also wears the secondary hat of Mark's 'personal assistant'. My guess is she's probably already assisting in something, and now it becomes official.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
A few nice news notes for Camelot Unchained:

About that Camelot Unchained alpha in August Eurogamer.net

Nice update, and something for the Pantheon people to take note of in their KS. It shouldn't take 3 years to roll out an alpha.

Just the other day, Camelot Unchained developer City State Entertainment revealed thatthere will be a playable alpha build of the massively-multiplayer online game for backers in August.

---
Camelot Unchained has a December 2015 release date and "we are on schedule", insisted Jacobs. "Is it set in stone? No. Given the fact that we are still two years out, saying a launch date is set in stone would be both foolish and naive. Do we want to hit that date? Absolutely."

Oh, and that December 2015 target, incidentally, will be for a full launch not a beta or unfinished launch (although MMOs change so much that such labelling is probably unnecessary anyway).

[Exclusive] Camelot Unchained Q/A | Keen and Graevs Gaming Blog
---
K&G: What is the combat system like? Twitch based, Action-rpg or traditional mmo hotkey based?

CSE:To date, we have said that we are going for an old-school approach to certain aspects of our game, and this would certainly be one of them. What I?m willing to say for now is that we don?t want a lot of bunny-hopping players dodging incoming attacks. There are enough games that already do this, some quite well, and we don?t need to add another to that list. Also, that style of gameplay doesn?t fit what our Founders have told us they are looking for in Camelot Unchained.

K&G: Are there levels in Camelot Unchained? If so, how do you handle/balance low and high level people fighting each other?CSE:Yes, there will be levels for individual skills and abilities. Not character levels in the traditional sense (Ding Gratz! Now add +x to HP, etc.) but skill levels. As a game with horizontal progression, Camelot Unchained will focus on having a lot of different skills for the players, but also on trying to lower the power gap in individual skills between new players and veterans.

iannis

Musty Nester
I disagree completely. I'd prefer they hired someone new who hasn't had to deal with the neckbeards and who doesn't have a history in the genre. This game is not DAOC. Not all of us were big fans of Sonya (Sanya? I can't remember either).

I really don't see why they need to hire anyone at all. Since this is supposed to be a transparent kickstarter type game, why not show some cajones and get rid of the middle man<woman?> and just have the devs talk right to the community?

Plus, Jacobs seems to live for this sort of interaction. My guess is the 'Community Manager' will be a 20something girl who also wears the secondary hat of Mark's 'personal assistant'. My guess is she's probably already assisting in something, and now it becomes official.
From what I remember most of the daoc board traffic was on IGN anyway. That's where the scoreboards were, and that's where the smacktalk each other threads were. I'm pretty sure it was Sonya. She was Tweety, wasn't she?

I remember the funniest thing about Sonya is that she'd occasionally tell people to get fucked. It was that old Everquest ethic. And when the current trend is to immediately cave to any "differently gendered" PC social awareness justice ultimatum... yeah. Sonya looks pretty good, doesn't she?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
There have been plenty of updates on CU for those that are following it ranging from lore reveal to systems such as banes/boons. I've become even more excited with each update and have been impressed with the information released thus far. Their vision and progress reports are pretty solid and they have what appears to be some pretty decent transparency when it comes to each of the systems they're working on. What goals they've reached, which ones have missed their mark, etc. Definitely much better post-Kickstarter progress than some others I have seen.

The internal testing will be coming out soon and have every reason to believe it would be rough as shit but still, the potential with this is massive.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hows this thing going anyways haven't followed it in a bit as I got MJ on the show and prove list along with the other guy Mcjesus or something other..If it looks good might have to pony up some $$

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Hows this thing going anyways haven't followed it in a bit as I got MJ on the show and prove list along with the other guy Mcjesus or something other..If it looks good might have to pony up some $$
He did his KS right, which is why it was fully funded, and has a lot of info rolling out consistently. Check out the links from seven posts prior. They are planning on alpha in August.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
They just opened up the builders tiers if you were interested and it looks like we're getting close to the Depths stretch goal!

Camelot Unchained

Gecko_sl

shitlord
They just opened up the builder's tiers if you were interested.

Camelot Unchained
The tiers look good. I haven't pledged, as I'm averse to giving rich guys money to get more rich, but I'm sorely tempted to make this my second KS after Star Citizen.

The Pantheon weenies need to copy these tiers. They make sense and are well thought out.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What world do I live in to where I feel like Mark Jacobs as it so much more together than Brad? If Pantheon does not work out, i'll be contributing to their cause. I have to give Brad precedence, if I give, because of EQ. No matter how goofy I think his KS is at times.

K13R

I'm thinking about doing the 80 $ warrior one.. One side note I think MJ learned a lesson as he was publicly shown the door at EA he help build Mythic from the ground up didn't have SMED to run to when thing shit the bed and is now basically trying to do a Mythic reloaded and I know he always wanted to do spritual sucessor to DAOC but got blinded by the money hats with Warhammer.

Treesong

I have to say that this is an interesting and bold statement:

Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based and it will not transition to a free-to-play game nor will it allow a mixed FTP + PTP community outside of Asia (though Asian players can play on US/European severs). The game will also not have a cash shop for other than "old school" services like server moves.

If you long for an RvR game that isn't how to continually "monetize" you that draws on the literature/lore of everything from Arthur to Yggdrasil, welcome to your new home!
I wonder if they can live up to that promise. They are also offering three tiers (275, 400, 425 dollars) that include a lifelong sub (1 dollar a year sub lifetime) which in this case would actually mean something. A pure sub-based MMO again, sounds almost experimental.

I do not like the "no PvE combat", I think I would miss my Rats. It sais it will have NPCs (Guards and Fauna and such) but I am wondering how much effort would go into "fauna" if it's only scenery.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
So I just went back and checked what the tier I pledged offered me, and I really need to reiterate, DAMN did they nail it. Having funded for Pantheon as well, there is just no comparison on the tier quality, and the confidence that something a simple as well thought out tier rewards can offer a product.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
What world do I live in to where I feel like Mark Jacobs as it so much more together than Brad? If Pantheon does not work out, i'll be contributing to their cause. I have to give Brad precedence, if I give, because of EQ. No matter how goofy I think his KS is at times.
Oh shit , we can still get in on this ? With Pantheon being abandoned on KS I need to check this out.

I regret missing out on this on KS and also Project Eternity.

selis

Molten Core Raider
Probably a stupid question, but in the Builders Tiers rewards what exactly are Builders Packs(level 1,2,3,4)?
Did you try asking CSE support? I asked them about updating my Founders Tier to a level that gets alpha (outside the 1K min levels they have listed now) and they told me that in the next few months they'll be opening more tiers to move up from.

BSC
interesting. not sure if there are further (class) stat/skill restrictions. nonethless, i prefer this concept over pathfinder's (times yields xp to be used as currency which you can spend on anything). hopefully there isnt class swapping.
attenuate skillxp gain exponentially per day to combat macroing and an unrestricted rest bonus xp gain rate for those to catch up.