Camelot Unchained

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
This beta 1 document is so long lol how they fuck are they gonna do this

LOADS of races and classes too

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
This beta 1 document is so long lol how they fuck are they gonna do this

LOADS of races and classes too
Is this a game yet? Haven't been reading their emails much, but do seem to recall that beta 1 is coming soon, with an actual gameplay loop.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is this a game yet? Haven't been reading their emails much, but do seem to recall that beta 1 is coming soon, with an actual gameplay loop.

Hope some good stuff comes out soon. I want some good RvRvR.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Oh I'm told you can log in, move around but tons of missing icons for abilities, actual text descriptions for most things...

It's real working software that you can log into and shit tho. If he's got a swell of cash like I heard he did, looks like something will definitely come out.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is not a game yet, they have been testing basic systems. They are furiously working to get ready for Beta 1 (July 4). But Beta 1 will be like the old type of beta before marketing them became a thing, so more like Alpha.

Beta 1 will also be very long process before it becomes Beta 2, which will also be a long process. Beta 3 and Open Beta are hopefully next year.

So far I like the way they have been doing things. Keeping the hype to a minimum and getting the base systems solid. Trying to do things right. Hopefully it all works out and the game is fun. But it will be a while.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much. I think the only PvE will be crafting and building. Daoc without the PvE seems to be the best comparison.

• 1Like

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Bummer, I enjoyed the pve in daoc. I loved whatever that dungeon was that opened up when your faction won something or controlled something or whatever. Clearly my memory is sharp as a tack.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Bummer, I enjoyed the pve in daoc. I loved whatever that dungeon was that opened up when your faction won something or controlled something or whatever. Clearly my memory is sharp as a tack.

Darkness Falls?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The problem with DAOC PVE is they went too far with it in the TOA expansion. The majority of the guilds in DAOC weren't built on raiding, but for RVR. They had a nice system for gear via the crafting system which made gear to compete in RVR available to anyone. You may have needed to grind some money for it, but that's all you had to do. TOA put some gear out of reach for some people and it ended up being frustrating as fuck to have to go raid for that gear and hope you get a drop.

Bumble

Molten Core Raider
There will be a similar dungeon in this game, but that will be basically the only PvE content. There will be guards and some animals scattered around the world, but PvE only exists as a way to obtain crafting materials. PvE combat does not even count towards your character's progression, the only way to advance your stats and skills is to fight against other players.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Beta delayed

Too many crashes and some new EU regs they have to comply with. Until then daily test sessions until beta starts (one on the weekend).

Not surprised by this. State of the game was pretty rough when they announced July 4th beta 1. They got a lot more work done than I expected though. Last build I saw was pretty good, considering.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So Camelot is going to cross the finish line first i'm assuming between Pantheon, Ashes of Creation, and their game? Curious if Daybreak will announce their super secret project they're working on?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Nice frames for that many people, feeling the hype.

170 people rendered, no culling, long view distances and 95fps. That's nuts.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I want to get hyped.. I really do. While my DAoC memories are overshadowed by EQ quite a bit, I love PvP/RvR and I had fun the couple of times I ventured out to DAoC. However, there are a few people I have a hard time trusting...

Ponytail
Gordon Walton
Salim Grant
Mark Jacobs

If I see those names on any game, I start losing interested immediately.

Maybe I need to let some things go and maybe I don't know all of the stories but I'm just not sure who to throw my money at but if CU is the only one to actually release in the near future, what choice do we have? Maybe Blizzard will drop a bombshell this year....

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Nice frames for that many people, feeling the hype.

170 people rendered, no culling, long view distances and 95fps. That's nuts.
They didn't seem to be rendering that much though? Like projectiles/particles seemed to be culled agressively or people just weren't using a whole lot of things. So you could see people far, but it seems like you couldn't see much in terms of what they were doing or whatever.

Still seemed pretty solid.

Other concern however is lag in fights like this. You can see him rubberbanding a bunch or seeing other players slide/rubberband, and the body blocking seemed to only work when he tried to enter the destroyed wall small space with a bunch of people in there, literally seconds after he mentions how body blocking is a game changer, he runs through 2 people who were moving, probably due to lag and collision hitboxes being at different places.

So yeah, kinda have to wait some more to see what's up. At the very least they're not running into the common korean mmo issue where you drop to 10FPS everytime there's 50people on screen and have to cull every other people models/particles/nameplates to try to get it to a decent number(generally 20-25).

Bumble

Molten Core Raider
Other concern however is lag in fights like this. You can see him rubberbanding a bunch or seeing other players slide/rubberband, and the body blocking seemed to only work when he tried to enter the destroyed wall small space with a bunch of people in there, literally seconds after he mentions how body blocking is a game changer, he runs through 2 people who were moving, probably due to lag and collision hitboxes being at different places.

When he was talking about collision detection he was using a skill called Travel Stance, it increases your speed, disables your abilites, makes you take increased damage, and lets you avoid collision detection while it's active.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The problem with DAOC PVE is they went too far with it in the TOA expansion. The majority of the guilds in DAOC weren't built on raiding, but for RVR. They had a nice system for gear via the crafting system which made gear to compete in RVR available to anyone. You may have needed to grind some money for it, but that's all you had to do. TOA put some gear out of reach for some people and it ended up being frustrating as fuck to have to go raid for that gear and hope you get a drop.
It's funny because ToA was actually some fantastic content once they fixed all the buggy shit. I world-first discovered the existence of the hidden Master Level 10 raid (fighting the Zodiac constellations in SPACE by passing through a hidden aurora-style portal that moves randomly about the trials zones was a cool fucking idea for a raid.) And I was the first person to achieve a bunch of the artifacts too. There was so much hidden shit and things to discover in that expac, it was actually kind of amazing looking back. Not amazing was the idea that nearly half of it was underwater.

However, the content did not fit the game or the playerbase at all. It was a real shame. The game never really recovered from that.