Captain Marvel (2019)

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Not to mention the fact that it opened on a Thursday to pad those numbers. I'm sure quite a few movies would have better opening "weekends" if their weekend was 4 days.

• 4Picard
  • 1WTF
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 6 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Not to mention the fact that it opened on a Thursday to pad those numbers. I'm sure quite a few movies would have better opening "weekends" if their weekend was 4 days.

Literally every Marvel movie has done this for the last 10 years or more.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
That's been standard practice for quite awhile now though.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider

I wasn't comparing it to only other Marvel movies, but yeah, you're right. Shows how long it's been since I bothered to see a movie opening night, lol.

Chuk's other point is still valid though. Opening in nearly every market simultaneously instead of staggered over several weeks is really propping up the global totals, just so sites can throw up those big numbers in their headlines.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Does Disney do to MCU movies what they were doing with Star Wars stuff? (The requirement for at least 50% of a theatre's screens to be dedicated to the movie in order for them to show it at all)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I wasn't comparing it to only other Marvel movies, but yeah, you're right. Shows how long it's been since I bothered to see a movie opening night, lol.

Chuk's other point is still valid though. Opening in nearly every market simultaneously instead of staggered over several weeks is really propping up the global totals, just so sites can throw up those big numbers in their headlines.
this wasnt the first time they did a 3-4 day global rollout. the one other time was for Infinity War. the rest was the 7-14 day thing. i can understand Infinity War because its the big moment they were building up to for 12 years and they wanted to make a huge splash so everyone would see it at once and nobody would have to torrent it because they couldnt wait a week. i'm obviously biased, but was anyone anticipating Captain Marvel in the same was as IW?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

I would say about 90% of all releases open at 7pm thursday (thank god they stopped being at midnight, I'm too old for that now), and basically any movie considered a major release.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I heard a rumor that if you gave the movie a good review, Brie would fly to your town and fellate you. So there's that.

• 2Barf

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
so the new nerd rumor is that Disney bought out a bunch of theaters to pad the number for captain marvel, or something. i must have seen a dozen "empty seats at Captain Marvel" videos on my youtube feed. i like a good conspiracy more than the next guy, but Disney isnt about to drop 50 million on its own movie just to fool people on opening weekend. one did make a good point though. Disney did stagger the worldwide release to 3 days instead of the usual 7-14 they do globally. that could mean its going to take a big drop on its second weekend.
On the Wednesday open here, my theatre in Hong Kong was "sold out" but only had 12 seats out of around 70 with people in them. Buddy of mine in Toronto said he had the same thing happen Sunday.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
On the Wednesday open here, my theatre in Hong Kong was "sold out" but only had 12 seats out of around 70 with people in them. Buddy of mine in Toronto said he had the same thing happen Sunday.
Zapatta Zapatta was talking about this a few days ago too. twitter was lit up with people posting empty theater pics for CM. i thought it was a few trolls, but it was actually a shitload of people with the same experience. a lot of the guys here said the theaters were mostly full. i refused to pay for this so i cant speak for myself. maybe its people who prepaid for tickets but noped out at the last minute because of Brietard

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Zapatta Zapatta was talking about this a few days ago too. twitter was lit up with people posting empty theater pics for CM. i thought it was a few trolls, but it was actually a shitload of people with the same experience. a lot of the guys here said the theaters were mostly full. i refused to pay for this so i cant speak for myself. maybe its people who prepaid for tickets but noped out at the last minute because of Brietard
No idea, but around here, the Friday 16:00 showing was half full, but the 19:00 was packed (385 seats).

Movie did 1.2 millions on the first week in France. For a comparison on first weeks of Marvel last year:

- Infinity Wars: 2.5 millions
- Black Panther: 1.0 millions

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
grgra.jpg

Brie Larson doggie-style simulator.

• 8Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 10 users

Brad2770

The movie was very generic. I did enjoy the music choices. The Stan Lee stuff was really nice.

Brie is super cute though. It’s a shame her leftist/feminist attitude makes her less attractive. She would be hot as fuck in some cowboy boots, short shorts, a Marlboro t-shirt and a MAGA hat.

Look how unhappy that face is, but how much that body wants to be dominated-
46D5C9D5-1122-41C9-A65A-A7E74310E0B7.gif

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Seriously?

Cybsled

I'm getting a good laugh out of the people twisting themselves in knots, trying to come up with an Alex Jones level conspiracy on why this movie didn't open to 10 million and vanish from theaters.

• 5Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The numbers don't make sense on this. I go watch every marvel movie with friends/girlfriend and all of them passed on this. Half of them just go off hype and fell asleep in Black panther but none of them cared to watch this

• 1EyeRoll

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
After a few days of reflecting on the movie, I still think it's a good movie, high mid-tier for a Marvel movie for me.

Like a lot of people I thought Captain Marvel was the weakest part of the movie, and she is. I don't think it's Brie's fault though. She's given very little to work with, her arc, is essentially non-existent.

She starts as a Kree warrior without memories, and finishes as a human with her memories back. The whole thing though lacks any sort of emotional journey and character evolution. She's fundamentally the same at the end as she was at the beginning.

Without re-writing the entire movie. Here's an example of what I would have like to see.

Start with her and Starforce coming back from a mission and have them talk/brag about how they kicked Skrulls' ass and stopped them from infiltration planet ABC.

Then follow the movie as is until she gets to earth and starts regaining her memories. At this point have her go through an emotional journey...that starts with denial, then go to anger at being lied too when she realize she is human and not Kree, then have her somewhat fall apart when she meets Maria and Monica and realizes all that the Kree took from her when they took her memories. Then Talos shows up, gives her the CD, and explains everything, and she goes through regret at all that she did to his people. Have him tell her it's not her fault, and ask her to help him gets his family back, and she gains new strenght and resolves and decide to make amends and go help the Skrulls find a new home and free all of their people, and stop that war.

It would give Brie Larson more to do as an actress, because as it was the role didn't give her much to do, and she didn't do a great job with the little she had.

I'm not saying this would make it the perfect movie, but I think her having a better emotional journey would have made her more sympathetic character for the viewer to cheer for.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It would be a good investment to burn 50 million to prop up the numbers for what is going to be a central figure in your new diversity based lineup for a multi billion dollar franchise.

Trump got caught doing this like two weeks ago (happened years ago, but just came out).

Artificially inflating demand is not a new thing

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think you guys are going a bit too far with the bought-out theatre stuff. For it to have any sort of effect, it would have had to been on a large scale and you'd see more reports of it than a handful of questionable pictures of empty theatres.

• 2Like