Captain Marvel (2019)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Did opinions of her change in her older movies pre and post politics stuff? She was in Kong: Skull Island right?
I rewatched Skull Island a few months ago, and since I now hate Brie, it was pretty shocking to see all of the SJW shit that was thrown in for her character. Now, I have no idea if she caused it or the rest of the creative people did it without even asking, but right off the fucking bat you get a scene where they are waiting for the photographer to show up, and when she does they all act shocked, and she gets to give us a line or two about how women can do everything men can do, blah blah. And, now that I wasn't mesmerized by her titties like the first viewing, I got to really see just how wooden she was during the entire movie. They literally had scenes where she was (I guess) supposed to be conveying some sort of emotion just via her facial expressions, and it looked like Data trying to mimic human emotions. Or maybe trying to take a crap. Granted, she wasn't completely terrible either, but the first time I was all about Kong wrecking shit, so I didn't really pay attention to her. This time I did, and it was pretty noticeable that she is a terrible actress.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Avoided watching this for over a year because of all the SJW screeching in this thread.

Didnt notice any, other than the "Just a Girl" scene and only because it was covered so much in this thread.

Thought it was a pretty good movie, and I really liked the Skrulls. I thought Larson might have been a bit wooden, but I wouldnt be surprised if her character was just written to be so no-nonsense and stern. Not sure if it worked as well if she was as neurotic as Stark or as jokey as Ragnarok's version of Thor.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
The entire Carol Danvers story never really lit my hair on fire. I think Stan Lee is quoted somewhere as saying that, too. I could be wrong.

She's just a "meh" character. A lot more interesting is Rogue who took Carol Danvers' power, but Fox (I think?) who had the X-Men IP, just royally screwed the pooch with that. They were so interested in getting to the Dark Phoenix, that they didn't care what type of disjointed crap they were pumping out to get there.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Avoided watching this for over a year because of all the SJW screeching in this thread.

Didnt notice any, other than the "Just a Girl" scene and only because it was covered so much in this thread.

Thought it was a pretty good movie, and I really liked the Skrulls. I thought Larson might have been a bit wooden, but I wouldnt be surprised if her character was just written to be so non-sense and stern. Not sure if it worked as well if she was as neurotic as Stark or as jokey as Raganarok's version of Thor.
All SJW debating aside, the biggest problem I had was that there wasn't a single moment in the movie where you felt like she was even in the tiniest bit of danger. It felt like the writer/director thought that she had to be "owning it" for the entire movie. Take the sniper scene. Now, I've only watched it the one time in the theater because fuck that movie, but as I remember it they get shot at (maybe outside the Blockbuster?) and Danvers just immediately takes off running towards the person shooting. Zero concern that they might actually hit her, zero fear or even slight trepidation, just runs straight into danger. Now, you could say that's just her bravery, but it didn't come off that way at all, it was more like a Terminator assessing a threat and immediately moving to eliminate the threat. Zero emotion, zero sense of danger. And she was like that throughout the entire movie. And even if she wasn't completely emotionless, there was still never a moment (for me at least) where I thought, oh shit, she might get her ass kicked! Thor gets his ass kicked. So does Iron Man. Even Hulk. Captain Marvel has not once gotten her ass kicked in the MCU. Even Endgame they just blasted her off-screen with an Infinity Gem. It is like they are afraid to treat her like everyone else, and even a hint of her having trouble would somehow diminish wahmen or something.

I was super stoked to hear they were making a movie for her when it was first announced, and I wanted Emily Blunt to play her. I liked the character in the comics (although I agree Rogue was usually way more interesting), I was excited to see her go Binary, etc. So I was hopeful even with all the SJW shit she said before the movie. I think I'd rather see Black Panther again than CM, although they are both at the bottom of my rankings. The shit they pulled with Fury might be what puts CM over the edge, but I'm not sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The shit they pulled with Fury might be what puts CM over the edge, but I'm not sure.

I'm still coming to terms with Fury no longer being a white guy. It's only been twenty years...

You're spot on though. If there's no believable element of danger in a story then it's going to tedious. Which is what, humorous parts aside, Captain Marvel was.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm still coming to terms with Fury no longer being a white guy. It's only been twenty years...

You're spot on though. If there's no believable element of danger in a story then it's going to tedious. Which is what, humorous parts aside, Captain Marvel was.
its one of the reasons why the movie was so boring. one of.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Guys, youre watching PG-13 superhero movies. Unless youre 6 years old, none of these movies can convey these characters are in danger. Theres just really no way. You know all these characters are coming back.

I never for once sensed these characters were in any permanent danger, even when half of them got snapped out of existence in Infinity War. You always knew that ths reason thatvwas done is because there was already a plot device to bring them all back.

Not even surprised at Stark dying. RDJ was in almost every single one of these 20 movies for the past decade+,

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
758.jpg

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Yeah I thought about her when I wrote my post and she's a great example. She was the most useless "super hero" in he MCU. What was her super power again? "Interrogation"? Kicking? Notice how nobody else got snuffed in any of these films. Not a single Guardian of the Galaxy, not a single named Wakandan, let alone any of the Avengers other than Stark.

In an apocalyptic battle for earth, literally every super hero that had a name had survived. Except the guy who wanted out of the franchise that he has been carrying on his shoulders since 2008

• 1Garbage

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

Thought it was a pretty good movie, and I really liked the Skrulls. I thought Larson might have been a bit wooden, but I wouldnt be surprised if her character was just written to be so non-sense and stern. Not sure if it worked as well if she was as neurotic as Stark or as jokey as Raganarok's version of Thor.

If she was just no-nonsense and stern, it would have been completely fine, although boring. Instead she was know-it-all, always right, she was arrogant but without the humor of Stark. Her backstory indicated she was told she could never be more than a housewife, so one would expect her to struggle with proving herself as an adult, especially around the other avengers, but no, there is no character growth, or struggle. She sucked.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
If she was just no-nonsense and stern, it would have been completely fine, although boring. Instead she was know-it-all, always right, she was arrogant but without the humor of Stark. Her backstory indicated she was told she could never be more than a housewife, so one would expect her to struggle with proving herself as an adult, especially around the other avengers, but no, there is no character growth, or struggle. She sucked.

1590078769268.png

Yeah I never got a sense that she was a know-it-all or always right. I mean she did come from an alien world where space travel was possible, hunting intergalactic shapeshifters so she clearly knew more than Fury, Coulson, etc. But know-it-all? She didnt even know that she was being manipulated by the Kree.

I never got a sense that she overtly arrogant either.

Sounds like we're watching different movies. Let me ask you, did you think this movie had too much SJW-ness in it?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That death(and Gamora's too) is 100% meaningless when the character gets its own movie afterwards.
BW's death is probably the most irksome one in that movie. i dont care that tony dies, because he had a fully fleshed out character arc and it had a proper end. we barely knew anything about BW and they just kill her off to save the only other guy we knew even less about. she was dedicated to the Avengers unlike Hawkeye who fucked off whenver he felt like it, she did everything she could to help out her boys and this is how they treat her? fuck that shit.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
BW's death is probably the most irksome one in that movie. i dont care that tony dies, because he had a fully fleshed out character arc and it had a proper end. we barely knew anything about BW and they just kill her off to save the only other guy we knew even less about. she was dedicated to avengers, did everything she could to help out her boys and this is how they treat her? fuck that shit.

That's a really stupid take on why BW's death is bad.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's a really stupid take on why BW's death is bad.
its my take, I'm sure fanboys have some fanboi reason why they hate it, but as a movie fan , its the most egregious crime committed to a key character in the entire MCU.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Her death is bad because it's some "subverting expectations" bullshit. Hawkeye spent five years as a mass murderer, he was the one obvious need of redemption. I mean it's not like he's going to get to spend time with his family, he's going to spend the rest of his life in jail as soon as they finish sorting out the 4 billion people that just reappeared.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Her death is bad because it's some "subverting expectations" bullshit. Hawkeye spent five years as a mass murderer, he was the one obvious need of redemption. I mean it's not like he's going to get to spend time with his family, he's going to spend the rest of his life in jail as soon as they finish sorting out the 4 billion people that just reappeared.

You called his post stupid, and then wrote that. Talk about subverting expectations.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users