Captain Marvel (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Captain Marvel's Origin Story Has Changed Ahead of the Movie
The fourth issue of the Life of Captain Marvel series, by Margaret Stohl, Carlos Pacheco and Erica D’Urso, reveals that Carol Danvers did not actually gain superpowers through exposure to an alien device known as the Psyche-Magnetron in an accident related to Marvel’s first, male, Captain Marvel as shown in 1977’s Ms. Marvel No. 2 — an origin story that had gone unchallenged for the past 40 years to this point.

Instead, the comic established that Carol’s mother is, in fact, a member of the alien race the Kree, making Carol a Kree-human hybrid from birth as opposed to the result of an accident related to a male hero. The Psyche-Magnetron, instead of altering Carol’s DNA, “activated” Carol’s inherent superpowers, her mother explains, making them in her words, “not borrowed. Not a gift. Not an accident” — a purposeful shift that befits the company’s repositioning of the character as a model of female empowerment.

The story also retcons Marie Danvers’ name into “Mari-Ell,” turning Carol Danvers into “Car-Ell” in the process; both names follow the pattern established by Marvel’s original Captain Marvel, whose real name was Mar-Vell. In an amusing coincidence, it brings Captain Marvel closer to Superman’s birth name of Kal-El just years after the CW show Supergirl changed Supergirl’s secret identity to “Kara Danvers.”

New comic/movie backstory, spoilered just in case.

• 3Picard
  • 3WTF
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 6 users

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Let me get these out of the way:

tenor.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
lucille-portable.gif

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
This just popped up on my YouTube recommendations. I don't think I should be the only one burdened with this knowledge.

You are decide to bite someones style and you go with Avril Levine?

/cringe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Instead, the comic established that Carol’s mother is, in fact, a member of the alien race the Kree, making Carol a Kree-human hybrid from birth as opposed to the result of an accident related to a male hero. The Psyche-Magnetron, instead of altering Carol’s DNA, “activated” Carol’s inherent superpowers, her mother explains, making them in her words, “not borrowed. Not a gift. Not an accident” — a purposeful shift that befits the company’s repositioning of the character as a model of female empowerment.

Remember kids, if you are mentored or helped by a man, then your success means nothing. Anyone still want to try and defend this ideology?

Also, its shocking how much they deviated from the archetypal story that surrounds the character's origin. Captain Marvel is the not the heroic ideal archetype, she's not Superman. Her entire story is built off of the fact that she's a flawed character who struggles toward the ideal. She's spiderman, except with more powers. Its pretty essential to all of her stories, and her being 'destined' to have the power is going to poison a lot of the themes and symbolism used in her stories.

But hell, they've been destroying it for the past 10 years so, meh. It was pretty clear at the start of the Danvers run they didn't realize the themes behind her, and began using her as a tool for feminist rhetoric. It's sad. The character appeared in Spiderman for her first issue for a reason. (Meanwhile, Disney had to nuke the idea of Rey coming from special lineage for the same damn reason as Marvel needs to come from special lineage...The whole ideological cult can't even nail down the meaning of their bullshit.)

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm

Remember kids, if you are mentored or helped by a man, then your success means nothing. Anyone still want to try and defend this ideology?

Also, its shocking how much they deviated from the archetypal story that surrounds the character's origin. Captain Marvel is the not the heroic ideal archetype, she's not Superman. Her entire story is built off of the fact that she's a flawed character who struggles toward the ideal. She's spiderman, except with more powers. Its pretty essential to all of her stories, and her being 'destined' to have the power is going to poison a lot of the themes and symbolism used in her stories.

But hell, they've been destroying it for the past 10 years so, meh. It was pretty clear at the start of the Danvers run they didn't realize the themes behind her, and began using her as a tool for feminist rhetoric. It's sad. The character appeared in Spiderman for her first issue for a reason. (Meanwhile, Disney had to nuke the idea of Rey coming from special lineage for the same damn reason as Marvel needs to come from special lineage...The whole ideological cult can't even nail down the meaning of their bullshit.)

Calm down. I'm sorry you were raped by a women, but you cant blame all women for the actions of one.

• 5Picard
  • 3Salty
  • 3EyeRoll
Reactions: 12 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Calm down. I'm sorry you were raped by a women, but you cant blame all women for the actions of one.

I'm sorry you were castrated Xer. :( Maybe someday men will have the balls to speak up again without whining like a bunch of women about causing too much comotion. But clearly that day will never come for you. Vanessa's tranny blog is a couple forums up though, if you need to talk.

• 4Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't actually think Inhumans are Kree DNA, I think the Kree were using eternal DNA. Not sure, haven't read many inhuman comics.

yeah, according to MCU lore (assuming Agents of SHIELD is canon) Inhumans don't have Kree DNA, they're just genetically modified humans. i guess it's never said outright, but the implication is the DNA modifications are completely an original invention rather than being sourced from another species.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You are decide to bite someones style and you go with Avril Levine?

/cringe.
Bro, that's not the high-quality, curated, and grammar checked shitpost I'm used to seeing from one of my favorite posters. Lay off the Spam maybe?

• 1Worf

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I don't actually think Inhumans are Kree DNA, I think the Kree were using eternal DNA. Not sure, haven't read many inhuman comics.
Kree tinkered w/ prehistoric man DNA, which really isn't much. However, anyone tinkered w/ this DNA had good/bad effects when exposed to terrigen mist (which is kree from kree land?).

Xevy

Log Wizard
I didn't understand half the shit being said in this thread. Then I realized it's because I blocked Lithose. Lulz.

Who knew he'd shit up a thread about a comic book movie starring a woman. Oh wait, everyone. Everyone.

• 7Worf
  • 6Salty
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 13 users

Cybsled

That gif reminds me of a Google-proof guess the movie quote entry. “Evvvverrrryyyyooonnneeee!!!!” will click with people who watched the film and leave cheaters crying because they can’t figure it out from one word.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

That gif reminds me of a Google-proof guess the movie quote entry. “Evvvverrrryyyyooonnneeee!!!!” will click with people who watched the film and leave cheaters crying because they can’t figure it out from one word.
I hope they accepted multiple answers for that one. I also hope studios would stop giving multiple names across various regions for the same damn movie too.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I didn't understand half the shit being said in this thread. Then I realized it's because I blocked Lithose. Lulz.

Who knew he'd shit up a thread about a comic book movie starring a woman. Oh wait, everyone. Everyone.

ppl had him quoted, do you see the quoted content as blocked?

does it look like this?
ff3814e16f8bf82da07979f715305e27.png

i don't remember what blocked does to quotes

Malakriss

ppl had him quoted, do you see the quoted content as blocked?

i don't remember what blocked does to quotes
Ignore list blocks almost everything since the site changeover. That includes removing the entire quote box replying to an ignored person, it would just look like a standard reply to no one.

Only exception is if you go to the latest unread post and it's from a blocked user. In that case you would see this:
foh_block_example.jpg

Entire threads are hidden if they're started by a blocked user and won't show up in the forum list. That's why it's not advisable to let the most ignored people OP popular topics cause no one will even know it exists. You'd have to wait until someone unblocked responds to it as the most recent message on the main page and then manually bookmark it to navigate.

• 1Like