Captain Marvel (2019)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
why you need to see it opening weekend? wait a few days and stick it to Disney.

Yeah not gonna go opening weekend. I'd prefer the Monday matinee since that showing has subtitles (I'm hard of hearing) but she works weekdays so... Probably weekend 2 or weekend 3 for us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah not gonna go opening weekend. I'd prefer the Monday matinee since that showing has subtitles (I'm hard of hearing) but she works weekdays so... Probably weekend 2 or weekend 3 for us.
yeah, if people tank their opening weekend its gonna rattle them, the second weekend if it drops like 65-70% they will be in full blown panic mode. but opening weekend tanking is fine enough to send a message.

• 1Picard

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I honestly dont think this will be as successful as Black Panther financially

none of my FB friends have been talking about it, but last year i had friends showing off their preordered BP tickets and saying how it was the "first of five times" they intended on seeing the film

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
this movie (fame wise) has a WHOLE lot more relation to guardians of the galaxy than black panther. yeah, black panther is a minority superhero, but people LIKE black panther. i mean he's a popular super hero. even if he sometimes gets written by people who think he should be able to make silver surfertap to a half nelson.

captain marvel on the other hand? i LIKE carol danvers and even i know her biggest claim to fame is giving rogue her powers. carol danvers is a cameo character. she shows up in some ensemble books, does some stuff and then you don't hear from her again until there's some team-up crisis. there are PLEEEEEENTY of female characters they could have used that people ACTUALLY LIKE, but by and large carol isn't one of them. they could have gone with a niche favorite that most people never heard of, but they went with one that few poeple have heard of and the ones that do, just aren't interested.

at least GotG had such a goofy cast that you couldn't help but like those weirdos

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this movie (fame wise) has a WHOLE lot more relation to guardians of the galaxy than black panther. yeah, black panther is a minority superhero, but people LIKE black panther. i mean he's a popular super hero. even if he sometimes gets written by people who think he should be able to make silver surfertap to a half nelson.

captain marvel on the other hand? i LIKE carol danvers and even i know her biggest claim to fame is giving rogue her powers. carol danvers is a cameo character. she shows up in some ensemble books, does some stuff and then you don't hear from her again until there's some team-up crisis. there are PLEEEEEENTY of female characters they could have used that people ACTUALLY LIKE, but by and large carol isn't one of them. they could have gone with a niche favorite that most people never heard of, but they went with one that few poeple have heard of and the ones that do, just aren't interested.

at least GotG had such a goofy cast that you couldn't help but like those weirdos
GotG
had a lot going for it. a very likable star, girls dug on him, guys liked his carefree, fuck you attitude, then there were other interesting characters like R Raccoon and Groot. it also had a sweet classic rock soundtrack in the trailers. the tone was FUN.
i dont see any of that in CM, i know girls arent really interested in this kind of movie, no buffed out dude to ogle, no sexy outfits for CM. just military garb and that baggy leather jumpsuit. Guys arent left with much either. other than "i need to see this because Marvel and Endgame!"

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
GotG
had a lot going for it. a very likable star, girls dug on him, guys liked his carefree, fuck you attitude, then there were other interesting characters like R Raccoon and Groot. it also had a sweet classic rock soundtrack in the trailers. the tone was FUN.
i dont see any of that in CM, i know girls arent really interested in this kind of movie, no buffed out dude to ogle, no sexy outfits for CM. just military garb and that baggy leather jumpsuit. Guys arent left with much either. other than "i need to see this because Marvel and Endgame!"

i wasn't comparing the style of the movies itself, i can't because i haven't seen captain marvel. i was just comparing the relative fame of the characters prior to their respective movies coming out.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i wasn't comparing the style of the movies itself, i can't because i haven't seen captain marvel. i was just comparing the relative fame of the characters prior to their respective movies coming out.
i understand, i was going by how their trailers were received.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
You guys are like those people who shit on guardians of the galaxy but with red pill/incel sprinkles.

Also I think some of you need to see a therapist.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This movie wont fail simply for the fact so many are gonna want to go see the tie in and lead up to End Game.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i guess ten years of character buildup was for nothing when you can just introduce a new character a month away from the big finale to school everyone including Thanos.

Captain Marvel is the most powerful character in the MCU, Marvel says
More powerful than Thanos?
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige recently told Cosmic Book News that Captain Marvel is the most powerful character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"She's one of the most popular characters in our comics, she's one of the most powerful characters in the comics, and will be the most powerful character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe," Feige said.

He went on to say that introducing Larson at San Diego Comic-Con was one of the highlights of his career.

"I was a great foreshadowing of not just for how audiences are going to embrace Brie as this character, but also for how Captain Marvel is about to take the lead and be at the forefront of the entire Cinematic Universe," Feige said.

• 3WTF
  • 2EyeRoll
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

PunieHop

<Banned>

I get the impression it couldn't matter less what characters Marvel chooses to spotlight in their movies. They're movies made more for fans of big, fun spectacle than for comic fans familiar with the source material. Most people who saw Black Panther and GOTG had no idea who these characters were beyond maybe being vaguely aware they existed and were comic characters. More important than the choice of characters is how well they're written and how much fun the movie ends up being for a wide audience.

PunieHop

<Banned>
i guess ten years of character buildup was for nothing when you can just introduce a new character a month away from the big finale to school everyone including Thanos.

Captain Marvel is the most powerful character in the MCU, Marvel says
More powerful than Thanos?
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige recently told Cosmic Book News that Captain Marvel is the most powerful character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"She's one of the most popular characters in our comics, she's one of the most powerful characters in the comics, and will be the most powerful character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe," Feige said.

He went on to say that introducing Larson at San Diego Comic-Con was one of the highlights of his career.

"I was a great foreshadowing of not just for how audiences are going to embrace Brie as this character, but also for how Captain Marvel is about to take the lead and be at the forefront of the entire Cinematic Universe," Feige said.

Comic book characters all have vaguely defined powers that are exactly as powerful as they need to be at any given moment while also being inconsistent or even self-contradicting. Treating claims of "X is more powerful than Y" with any level of seriousness is an exercise in foolishness.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Alita was awful. Also a CGI female lead.

Big Phoenix Big Phoenix has any Marvel Studios movie failed?
Yes. Alita was dumb.

Also this

4agpxwfj6zj21.jpg

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users