Captain Marvel (2019)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Re: the 90's -- Todd McFarlane (Spawn, Spider-Man), Mark Bagley/Tom Lyle (Maximum Carnage), Frank Miller (Watchmen/300), Jim Aparo/Dick Giordano/Adrienne Roy (Knightfall)... just to name a few of the giants from the 90's. It was certainly not a terrible time for comics, and I'd go so far as to say it was the decade that spawned the MCU as most of the folks working on these films are my age, who grew up on 90's comics. Also the reason they're popular, because comics were popular as fuck during the 90's.

But then you have famously bad artists for amazing characters and stories like fuckin Rob Liefeld (Deadpool, the badass Cable story-line) -- so many pockets, terrible proportions, and no feet.

Best artists today? A couple of my favorites: Jim Lee. Todd McFarlane (still). J.Scott Campbell. Ryan Ottley (e.g. below).

D5y8udxWAAAT2Vb.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Re: the 90's -- Todd McFarlane (Spawn, Spider-Man), Mark Bagley/Tom Lyle (Maximum Carnage), Frank Miller (Watchmen/300), Jim Aparo/Dick Giordano/Adrienne Roy (Knightfall)... just to name a few of the giants from the 90's. It was certainly not a terrible time for comics, and I'd go so far as to say it was the decade that spawned the MCU as most of the folks working on these films are my age, who grew up on 90's comics. Also the reason they're popular, because comics were popular as fuck during the 90's.

But then you have famously bad artists for amazing characters and stories like fuckin Rob Liefeld (Deadpool, the badass Cable story-line) -- so many pockets, terrible proportions, and no feet.

Best artists today? A couple of my favorites: Jim Lee. Todd McFarlane (still). J.Scott Campbell. Ryan Ottley (e.g. below).

View attachment 209496

It was more so that Image sort of took the industry in a weird direction. And I loved Image at the time. I still love some of the characters. Savage Dragon was probably my favourite series (Erik Larsen was an awesome artist). Mark Silvestri was incredible. But virtually nothing from that time period is worth anything. I guess it just boils down to popularity and a lack of scarcity for the actual comic books

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
its just incredibly boring and super predictable and a few cringe scenes. the bad guy is lame and boring, fuck i even forgot for a second who the bad guy was. The only part really worth watching for is Nick Fury, its probably the only "make young CGI" that passes the uncanny valley. Maybe only black people can be CGI cyborgs or something.

Contrarily, I thought Mendelsohn's Talos was the only memorable part. Sam Jackson playing Sam Jackson for the 381st time is whatever.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The 90s had a lot of good stories and a lot of taking giant shit on the IP stories. Plus a lot that did both. Death of Superman, Spiderman Clone saga, Doom 2099, and a lot of indi stuff was all worth following back then like the hellraiser and AvP books. Then you had the giant shit they took on Hal Jordan, DC rebooting their universe over and over, and the whole X-Calliber going from great to acid trip shitfest in there too. Neil Gaiman was at the hieght of his game. There were even a very good and well written SJW-esque books, like Strangers in Paradise. I stopped giving a shit when the saturation got ridiculous (luckily I was only a marvel guy at the time, fucking following batman would bankrupt you) and am glad I did.

A college friend of mine started his career penciling and some inking back then (still works on semi mainstream stuff) whom I still talk to, but you cannot get work unless you are a true believer these days. So sadly, I do not hang out with him anymore. I' much rather remember him as the cool friend I used to game with who I have signed TNG comics from than the incel cult member he is now. But I specifically knew he was lost when he unironically declared this shitpile and BP his favorite marvel movies.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It was more so that Image sort of took the industry in a weird direction. And I loved Image at the time. I still love some of the characters. Savage Dragon was probably my favourite series (Erik Larsen was an awesome artist). Mark Silvestri was incredible. But virtually nothing from that time period is worth anything. I guess it just boils down to popularity and a lack of scarcity for the actual comic books
I was going to debate this, but the majority of the issues I had in mind were actually from the Bronze era. Like the McFarlane cover on Amazing Spider-Man #316 was in 1989, Punisher #1 (1986), Incredible Hulk #340 (1988), Dark Knight Returns #1 (1986), Amazing Spider-Man #300 (1988), Killing Joke (1988)...

Only valuables from the 90's: Spawn #1 (1992, defect issue worth 2x). Amazing Spider-Man #300 (1998, Reprint Chromium), Spider-Man #2 (1998, Chromium), Amazing Spider-Man #361 (1992), Vengeance of Bane (1993). The rest is random one-offs, rare promotional items, or issues with defects.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 209496
Jim was the bestest in the 90s too I thought?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I used to love Michael Turner's art. His style was incredible, and his women were stunning. Good stuff.

You might remember him from Witchblade & Fathom. They were his three big books.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is that Gambit? The only thing that makes me think that are the eyes.

He was on the cover of the comic it's from, so I assume so. That it's not obvious just enforces how terrible it is.

Speaking of the cover, that's another thing they started fucking with. They get good artists to do the covers to draw you in and give the actual panels to crappier ones. This cover is from the same comic, and the artists are different.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pirated this yesterday and watched with the GF. First superhero movie she stopped watching and just sat facebooking and complained it sucked. She prefers Thor and Spiderman though and like me don't even know who Captain Marvel is in the comics.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well one problem is that with other superhero movies you get the names, and the names seem to usually involve who they are.

If you didn't know that this was a character and had been for a while it would seem like an ultra-low energy "give up" character name idea "Just take the name of the company and put captain in front of it". Ergo it would seem like a shameless plug in character, making the obvious SJW angling even worse.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Brutal. Who are the best artists these days? I haven't collected anything since the 90s. Even though it gets shat on as a terrible time for comics, there were some awesome artists back then
they are illegal aliens

but no really many of the artists are from mexico, brazil, etc

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got around to watching it. First, I want to start off by saying all the recommendations to watch this after Captain America were retarded. Yeah, chronologically it kind of makes sense, but a lot of shit doesn't make sense, like who SHIELD is, nor the mid-credits sequence which would ruin the entire god damn series if you hadn't watched it. We'll keep watching in recommended order though (which mostly follows release order anyway; this was the only very out of place one).

Anyway, the actual plot wasn't bad at all. My qualms with it are that it really does just scream "2019 SJW bullshit." Every 90's song except I believe one (Nirvana) was a female vocalist. There was a jarring amount of "girl power" type moments.

And the Brie Larson casting was bad as she was just stiff (pretty sure this has been covered extensively). I also didn't like her black pilot friend whose acting was possibly even worse. Annette Benning was also not particularly good in this. And for being a villain that should be on the "cosmic" type tier, it felt even worse (this is one spot where the writing failed).

Finally, the 90's callbacks were also jarring. It was less "Stranger Things" and more "Everything Sucks," where they just tried to cram as much bullshit in where we could go "I remember that!"

Otherwise everything with the Kree and Skrulls was pretty well done (only complaint there is the shift from bad guy to good guy all being a memory was kind of meh). And the SHIELD stuff was decent too. They really just failed in the casting department and "2019'd" the movie.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Funny how Marvel can't get the female super hero lead to be a good movie but can with the males. Then on the flip side DC can't get shit right recently except for the female lead.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Saw it today. Wasn’t bad except the whole cat part, the black lady pilot who can’t act and the skrulls being good guys.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Funny how Marvel can't get the female super hero lead to be a good movie but can with the males. Then on the flip side DC can't get shit right recently except for the female lead.
I dunno, Cavill was a perfect casting imo, just everything else was too... Zack Snyder.