Car Buying Help

Vinen

God is dead
I knew I wasn't buying a Tesla so I didn't research but I have no clue how they do on ice and snow. Subaru's AWD was certainly a factor since its balls driving around here in the winter. I also didn't test drive a CVT because I knew I wasn't buying an automatic. I figured if I drove my 5 speed manual Civic for 10 years I may as well continue the manual trend with a far more entertaining car. I've actually never owned an automatic.
I spent 6.5 hours on a flight a few months ago talking to a Tesla Engineer about cold weather driving. Based on his information and a friends it's fine in the winter.

I'm more afraid of a ding or something in the car.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tom Leighton has a personal driver (that almost ran me over), so there is one level higher than Tesla

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I spent 6.5 hours on a flight a few months ago talking to a Tesla Engineer about cold weather driving. Based on his information and a friends it's fine in the winter.

I'm more afraid of a ding or something in the car.
The only thing that would concern me is that I've heard horror stories about battery capacity in extreme temperatures.

Maybe not an issue with a short commute and the 85 KW battery, though.

I'm interested in the 3 but I doubt I'll be able to get one before there's other options at this rate since I'm unwilling to put a deposit down.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ignoring battery performance issues with the cold, how much does the cabin heating system drain the batteries too? Regular cars just use the heat from the combustion engine (hot coolant water through a cabin radiator / heater core), however I assume full electric cars will use electricity from the batteries for heating elements. You are literally converting battery power into wasted (heat) energy. Just curious how much of an impact that has as well.

Vinen

God is dead
The only thing that would concern me is that I've heard horror stories about battery capacity in extreme temperatures.

I'm interested in the 3 but I doubt I'll be able to get one before there's other options at this rate since I'm unwilling to put a deposit down.
The 3 is going to have severe quality issues (Model S did) given their ambitious shipping date for the first orders. I guarantee the first deliveries will be delayed by a year as well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The 3 is going to have severe quality issues (Model S did) given their ambitious shipping date for the first orders. I guarantee the first deliveries will be delayed by a year as well.
Oh, yea, I won't touch it until at least a refresh. I was just mentioning that I probably couldn't anyway given their past issues, the sheer number of reservations and all that glorious hype for the poor man's electric Panamera.

Still want an Elio though.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

The Tesla's range is long enough that it probably doesn't matter for 99% of your driving even in subzero temps. I mean if it has a 260 mile range and it gets cut in half due to subzero temps (it's not that bad, maybe -20-30%) nobody normal commutes 130 miles a day. And if you do you probably shouldn't do it in a $100k car.

Vinen

God is dead
The Tesla's range is long enough that it probably doesn't matter for 99% of your driving even in subzero temps. I mean if it has a 260 mile range and it gets cut in half due to subzero temps (it's not that bad, maybe -20-30%) nobody normal commutes 130 miles a day. And if you do you probably shouldn't do it in a $100k car.
Yeah, as stated my fear is just dings.
If you had $100K to burn on a car what would you get Cad? (not stating I will spend this much. More just an idea).

I like my WRX but I'd like to get something more comfortable for driving around short distances. (Within MA)

I wish the i3 didn't look retarded.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you had $100K to burn on a car what would you get Cad? (not stating I will spend this much. More just an idea).

I like my WRX but I'd like to get something more comfortable for driving around short distances. (Within MA)

I mean S3 maybe? I would think you don't want to get too big, I felt the WRX was as big as I wanted when I commuted into Boston. I don't know how the hell people could drive Escalades and shit every day.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Well, what I'd get would depend on a large number of factors, I really like sports cars. If you think a WRX is uncomfortable, what are you used to? Pickup trucks? Big luxury sedans? Camrys? Is this intended to be a snow/winter vehicle or all-around? Do you do snow tires in the winter or just tough it out on all-seasons?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Tesla, Elon Musk doing everything he can to loose the company. Getting a divorce from the same woman for the second time now. Apparently the first payout wasn't enough, second helpings lol.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
As far as snow and ice driving go, I can definitely tell a difference between my AWD SUV and my wife's just front-wheel drive SUV. Then again, if the conditions are bad enough to where that makes a difference, you probably should just be staying home.

With ice, it doesn't matter at all. You're fucked and you're not getting any traction with anything short of a sherman tank.

I also find that ground clearance is just as important as AWD(maybe moreso) when dealing with significant amounts of snow. I've seen plenty of AWD sedans/crossovers that sit low to the ground get stuck because they can't make it over a 12-inch pile of snow that snowplow pushed into a pile, blocking off access to a side road or parking lot from the main road. A full-sized AWD SUV is always going to do better than the lower sedans and crossovers just due to the extra clearance when the snow gets really bad.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Tesla, Elon Musk doing everything he can to loose the company. Getting a divorce from the same woman for the second time now. Apparently the first payout wasn't enough, second helpings lol.
You.... are aware that Tesla is a public corporation and Elon's fortune isn't what funds that company right?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
As far as snow and ice driving go, I can definitely tell a difference between my AWD SUV and my wife's just front-wheel drive SUV. Then again, if the conditions are bad enough to where that makes a difference, you probably should just be staying home.

With ice, it doesn't matter at all. You're fucked and you're not getting any traction with anything short of a sherman tank.

I also find that ground clearance is just as important as AWD(maybe moreso) when dealing with significant amounts of snow. I've seen plenty of AWD sedans/crossovers that sit low to the ground get stuck because they can't make it over a 12-inch pile of snow that snowplow pushed into a pile, blocking off access to a side road or parking lot from the main road. A full-sized AWD SUV is always going to do better than the lower sedans and crossovers just due to the extra clearance when the snow gets really bad.
If you're really trying to get to work through 12" of snow, god help you I think. Maybe a wrangler with studded tires? A Raptor? Haha.

Then again I live in Dallas where people stay home for 3 days and buy up all the bottled water if it snows 1/2".