Car ?'s

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Moving back to the best coast in May, trying to buy a car out here in PA to move with. PA requires a plate turn in when selling a car but I'm thinking of online ordering a 30day trip permit from Oregon and making the drive that way since that's the state I'll be titleing it in.

Is there something that I could be missing that is gonna get me stuck or harrassed by cops?

I've driven across country with no plate at all, just the bill of sale for the car. No cop is going to give a fuck and even if you got a ticket for something else they aren't going to care because the car isn't registered in their state. They will look it up by VIN.

Not a big deal at all.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Moving back to the best coast in May, trying to buy a car out here in PA to move with. PA requires a plate turn in when selling a car but I'm thinking of online ordering a 30day trip permit from Oregon and making the drive that way since that's the state I'll be titleing it in.

Is there something that I could be missing that is gonna get me stuck or harrassed by cops?

As long as it's insured you'll be fine

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
got my fog light kit for the honda. i don't care about fog, i'm just gonna put in blinding leds in the fog lights since my current headlight leds are so powerful using high beam doesn't actually do anything(it's the same 2in1 bulb)
So you're one of those fuckers? I knew I wasn't going crazy when driving around at night, and everyone fucking seemed like they had their brights on. Couple thoughts came to mind. Either everyone fucked up their headlights, put new ones in themselves, and fucked up the angle so they were pointing up, or assholes just didn't give a fuck and had their brights on all the time. Looking for some gang initiation or something? Fucking annoying.

Siliconemelons

Wife: "I don't care, just buy the car"

She does not want me driving the baby around in my nissan leaf...

hehe

why are decent XC90's so damn hard to find and the dealers wont...deal... is it because its a "luxury" car and they "just sell themselves" and "people at that level just pay whatever"... I negotiated my Infiniti QX60 a few thousand...that's all I am seeking with the Volvo...ffs its a VOLVO a friggen shell co of a chinese overlord company made by terrorists in sweeden.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sorting out my Mom's possessions, managed to get the 67 Mustang Convertible up and running today. God damn are old engines so much easier than newer ones. You can reach fucking everything with extra room for a lamp and a big ol ham sammich, all without having to pry any paneling/covering bullshit off. Was worried that it'd be fucked up from sitting there the last few years, but it was up and purring right quick after fiddling with the battery and replacing the old gasoline.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Foler Foler

Here.

It honestly doesn't bother me too much or I would have looked into it more.

Aftermarket was the wrong term, but you can grab parts out of wrecked high end models for cheap.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler

Here.

It honestly doesn't bother me too much or I would have looked into it more.

Aftermarket was the wrong term, but you can grab parts out of wrecked high end models for cheap.
Ah yeah I'd do that, see if you can source it from a junk yard. Should be an easy install.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone have experience buying a used car online and which site to use? Trying to find a decent 2000 dollar beater for a friend to get to/from work. The pickings locally seem to be pretty slim

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have experience buying a used car online and which site to use? Trying to find a decent 2000 dollar beater for a friend to get to/from work. The pickings locally seem to be pretty slim

For $2000, I don't think you will have many options for national sites like Ebay and I wouldn't buy a vehicle, sight unseen, at that price. Shipping a car would, also, cost upwards of $1500, so, might as well increase your budget to $3500 from local spots, if you were were willing to go that route.

Your best bet is to look on Craigslists, that are within a distance you are willing to drive an unknown, cheap car, back to your home (for that price, it will have some mechanical issues). If you or your friend are mechanically inclined, and don't mind working on the side of the road, this could be rather large distance (reminder: bring a tow-strap, so you can get it off the highway). There are a few Craigslist aggregators, that you can use, so you can search for specific cars across many Craigslist locations. The one I used in the past got sold out and turned to shit, so, unfortunately, I cant recommend one.

Finally, you can look for auctions of impounded, repo, or old fleet service vehicles, if you live close enough to such places. Mannheim is the largest dealer auction company in the US, but they also get contracts from government and repo allotments, that are public, in some locations (direct link to their public auctions: Manheim - Public Auctions). You should be able to see where your state and local PDs send their vehicles for auction, through some google searching, or their gov websites (although, they are probably shut down with virus fear).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Craigslist is dead, especially for low end stuff because you have to pay to post. Facebook Marketplace for a cheap car.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Bought a Honda Ridgeline this past summer. First truck for me. Just use it for daily driving to work that is mostly highway. No plans to off-road or haul anything outside of crap from home depot. Was considering getting a levelling kit to even out the rake. This would just be for looks. As long as I get this done at a decent shop, shouldn't have to worry about this in the future? Or anyone have reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought a Honda Ridgeline this past summer. First truck for me. Just use it for daily driving to work that is mostly highway. No plans to off-road or haul anything outside of crap from home depot. Was considering getting a levelling kit to even out the rake. This would just be for looks. As long as I get this done at a decent shop, shouldn't have to worry about this in the future? Or anyone have reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Springs are OK for any car or truck as long as you are within the compression ranges the shocks are meant to handle. Too much drop and the suspension could hit the bump-stops or perches at the top and you could also bottom out over hard roads or with stuff in the bank. If the spring rate is too high on the new springs it can also adversely affect handling because there won't be enough compression (rather than too much). So, there can be problems in either direction. Make sure to get a quality product from a known brand like: KW, Eibach, Macht Snell, Ohlins, etc. not something off ebay.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
What are some good sites online nowadays for buying/comparing cars from dealerships?

Looking to buy something decent for cheap when the car market fully bottoms out towards end of June.

My truck got totalled by a drunk driver a few weeks ago, want to buy a decent used car between $5K - $20K

Last edited:

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Carvana is a pretty good bet on good prices. They sell their cars for very little more than what they buy for, they just hope suckers get financed by them for 6% for 72 months. Of course, if you pay cash or financed otherways then you're golden.
Any car at a dealer will be marked up even if the market bottoms out.

So I've been keeping an eye on Carvana and Enterprise/Hertz ( they are selling off cars to stay afloat right now) to pick up a good deal. Also randomly looking at Autotrader is good too if you want to deal with people and not dealers.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Carvana is a pretty good bet on good prices. They sell their cars for very little more than what they buy for, they just hope suckers get financed by them for 6% for 72 months. Of course, if you pay cash or financed otherways then you're golden.
Any car at a dealer will be marked up even if the market bottoms out.

So I've been keeping an eye on Carvana and Enterprise/Hertz ( they are selling off cars to stay afloat right now) to pick up a good deal. Also randomly looking at Autotrader is good too if you want to deal with people and not dealers.

Im going to finance through a credit union where I have my other auto loan or just pay cash outright.

Havent decided yet if I want to give up cash on hand, given these uncertain times.

Thanks for the heads up on those sites. Ive been checking out CarGurus, I like how they have the average recent sales for that type MMY built right into the listings and then tells you if its a great deal, good deal, ok deal, etc.

Checking out this Ford right now, seems to be exactly what Im looking for to commute to work and haul shit to the beach.

1590036558463.png

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
BMW X5 vs Audi Q7 vs Land Rover discovery?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
BMW X5 vs Audi Q7 vs Land Rover discovery?

Umm, that's fairly generalized. Do you prefer the looks of any of the those 3? New current generations, or older used? Base models or bigger engines? Leasing or buying (if new)? What will you use it for and why?

I'm on my 4th M car and think they're great, but like the others I probably won't keep it past the 3rd or 4th year. They are designed to be great for a finite period of time, then pieces must be replaced. Haven't owned an Audi yet, but friends and family have. I think they look the best right now, of those 3 brands you asked about and they definitely have the best interiors. I have no real need for the RS6 Avant, but I want one real bad. Wife looked at LR/RR (last night, funny enough) and for what you get I think the price is steep and there are more cost effective brands with better reliability.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having owned two X5s and two Discovery 4's (LR4), they are completely different vehicles and I wouldn't lump them together. The BMWs were blisteringly quick (twin turbo V8 version) and well composed on the road. Completely useless offroad. BMW infotainment system should be the industry gold standard. Neither had any issues, but sold them within 2 years.

Land Rover Discovery 4s were massive heavy and boxy 2.75 ton tanks that were incredibly capable offroad. Cavernous storage in the back. Put proper tires on them and they can go anywhere on the planet. Infotainment system was very dated compared to the BMW. Despite my current 2016 D4 being a few years newer than my 2012/2013 X5s, it feels a decade older when you compare the electronics displays and interfaces. A couple minor consumables (brakes, LCA bushings) are common, but I use these offroad and had my first one for 5 years with 0 mechanical issues.

If you are planning on keeping it on the streets and don't need the interior volume, X5 all day. If you want an actual capable go-anywhere adventuremobile, Disco 4.

Newer model Discovery 5? It's been a disaster for Land Rover. It is such a monumental departure from what the Discovery had been that it's been a flop. Lowest volume selling vehicle in their entire lineup. It's priced FAR too high and has gone far over the top with electronic systems. Most on the road are driven by soccer moms, clueless to the brand. Still massively capable offroad, but they missed the mark by a long shot. New Defender is far closer to the old Discovery 3 / Discovery 4.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
New MB GLE look nice, if not pretty familiar to the old ones. My wife had a nice X5 a few years ago and it was a nice vehicle (it turned into a total rattle bucket though after 3 years). Were it my $, I'd just buy a Porsche Cayenne/Macan and call it good. Great fit and finish, more fun to drive and plenty of cargo space. Q7 body styling is getting a little long in the tooth, and Audi fucking loves to date their own vehicles mid production cycle for some reason.