Car ?'s

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Someone ran into my new minivan a few days ago, and is disputing that he hit me, even though my car was in park at the time of the accident. Good times.

Anyway, insurance sent someone out to do an appraisal on the damages, and that guy explained how Tesla style vehicles (almost any new vehicle) are making insurance companies broke. Those new $30k Tesla's consider the body panels as structural parts of the frame. And you aren't able to fix them due to all of the various sensors. Especially for driverless features. EVERYTHING must be replaced outright. A minor bump to a door typically runs insurance around $12k to replace all of the various sensors and door panels and such. Only specific companies are able to work on Telsa, and most shops refuse to. It's too expensive to keep parts in stock, so you HAVE to order everything from California or wherever. And they also don't accept any returns, so if you accidentally ordered the wrong part... sucks to be you. Wait another week or two for the correct part to be manufactured and shipped in. In the mean time, that car is now occupying your already tight parking lots or repair bays.

Tesla ruins everything.
sounds like someone is gonna get a new dash cam w/ parking mode

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I dont know man, I feel like every car is expensive to repair these days. I've only ever been in one accident and it was a fender bender with my car having the front end damage. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal but the adjuster said it was close to being totaled. Cost of repairs was $6500 for a front fender, bumper and grill on a 2002 chevy impala with like 105k miles. No frame or mechanical damage.

Tesla is a luxury brand and every luxury brand has always been a nightmare to repair. BMWs and Mercedes are no different.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
sounds like someone is gonna get a new dash cam w/ parking mode
I was in the car at the time. And the guy that hit me called the police. But he's still disputing the accident, which is why it's a pain in the ass.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I dont know man, I feel like every car is expensive to repair these days. I've only ever been in one accident and it was a fender bender with my car having the front end damage. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal but the adjuster said it was close to being totaled. Cost of repairs was $6500 for a front fender, bumper and grill on a 2002 chevy impala with like 105k miles. No frame or mechanical damage.

Tesla is a luxury brand and every luxury brand has always been a nightmare to repair. BMWs and Mercedes are no different.
Reason why a car like that would be almost totaled is because the cost to repair it was almost more than the car was currently worth. At the time, the 2002 Chevy Impala probably was valued around $7k. Especially with 105k miles. That's why it was almost totaled with only $6500 in damage. That might be cutting it too close, though. Maybe it was valued at $8k. That's a more realistic number not to total.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think you missed my point. I didn't think there was even close to 6500 in damages. The KBB value was around 7200 at the time, I know what totaled means. But I hit the person at like 10mph. His rear bumper didn't even have any damage, it was just some paint scratching.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
His damage doesn't factor into the totaled flag. And it's possible that the bumper and other body parts for your vehicle were no longer easily available. Meaning that the shop would have to pay more. That's why your vehicle could have been almost totaled. The $6500 damage estimate was for only your vehicle, not both.

There's a lot that goes into those numbers. It may seem like a minor thing, but it could have had a lot more happen that you weren't aware of. The "totaled" applies for your vehicle only. Same would be for the other person's vehicle. Let's say they were in an '86 Delta 88 with 240k miles. And the bumper and a piece of the trunk was damaged. That car may only be worth $1200 total, so even a tiny amount of damage would flag it as a total loss. IE - Totaled. In that case, they would only pay that driver for the current KBB value of their car.

It's a racket.

• 1Picard

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If only insurance companies had some way to tell how much a car costs to repair on average per year based on the risk factors available to them about their driver pool, and based their premiums on that so as not to lose money.

Man, that’d be a crazy world. Too bad they just have to go broke paying for $30k unibody Teslas.

Wtf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Will be interesting to see if Tesla insurance turns a better profit than traditional insurance companies.

Only in Cali right now

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
There are actuarial mathematicians that work for insurance companies that literally spend their entire day just determining profitable insurance rates for vehicle, age, gender, etc. If Teslas cost more to repair or get in more accidents, then that is reflected in the insurance rate. Try insuring your Astin Martin through Progressive-- you can't because the general tier insurance companies don't want to bother with vehicles like that, you need to go to Chubb or similar. But bottom line is that there are vehicles waaayyy more expensive to fix out there than a Tesla. My stepdad had a dent in his Astin Martin quarter panel from some latina bimbo on her cell phone that rolled into his car while he was pumping gas, and that cost 40K to fix.

Siliconemelons

Heh, I watched some crazy body shop fix a MB G-wagon what got key'ed..

The tools and gizmo's this dude used to determine the exact depth of the scratch - in like 1cm intervals - and then the average clear coat, color and base coat depths in the entire surrounding area- then the time and effort to fill then sand then buff and polish and then restore the top coat so there was practically no variance in depth...it was insane the skill and man hours- vs just "It will buff out"

So...sometimes small things can cost a fortune and even "more" than the car was when new per % of the car v whats being repaired.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Heh, I watched some crazy body shop fix a MB G-wagon what got key'ed..

The tools and gizmo's this dude used to determine the exact depth of the scratch - in like 1cm intervals - and then the average clear coat, color and base coat depths in the entire surrounding area- then the time and effort to fill then sand then buff and polish and then restore the top coat so there was practically no variance in depth...it was insane the skill and man hours- vs just "It will buff out"

So...sometimes small things can cost a fortune and even "more" than the car was when new per % of the car v whats being repaired.
yea i see that Digital Professional Coating Thickness Gauge Industrial-818 Paint Meter for Fe/NFe with Measuring Range: 0-197 mils/Resolution 0,001 mils to measure paint depth in the car detailing vids on youtube

i mean i don't want to detail my car, just want to fill in a few 18yr old scratches, and then you keep on watching lulz

• 1Truth!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Hate to burst your bubble...

Still enjoying the car a lot. Significant mileage improvement on the highways (90% of my driving) and much better acceleration. Also went from a base model beetle to a car that has all the bells and whistles. Serious upgrades in every area for me. We'll see how it holds up over time, but I will probably be driving this for 10 years.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Long overdue maintenance today
20200126_094623.jpg

20200126_103948.jpg

20200126_124801.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Sounds crazy. Tuco Tuco could probably hook you up with a wooden part for 50 bucks.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
holy shit that was three cars and two decades ago, get some new jokes it's 2020

Some things you never live down man.

Like my buddy that got his dick sucked by a tranny.

About once a year, that story gets brought back up. Usually in front of his wife.