Car ?'s

Siliconemelons

Im going to finance through a credit union where I have my other auto loan or just pay cash outright.

Havent decided yet if I want to give up cash on hand, given these uncertain times.

Thanks for the heads up on those sites. Ive been checking out CarGurus, I like how they have the average recent sales for that type MMY built right into the listings and then tells you if its a great deal, good deal, ok deal, etc.

Checking out this Ford right now, seems to be exactly what Im looking for to commute to work and haul shit to the beach.

View attachment 271658

I would trust those 1st gen Nissan Rogues over a Ford Escape in terms of reliability... my Rogue was great, was an SL, had leather and even a 360 camera on its little screen lol- but was useful :)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I would trust those 1st gen Nissan Rogues over a Ford Escape in terms of reliability... my Rogue was great, was an SL, had leather and even a 360 camera on its little screen lol- but was useful :)

I see a TON of Rogues on sale everywhere and just a lot of Nissans in general (Versas). Was wondering what was up with that. Figured people were trying to unload them before the maintenance schedule kicked in. I heard Nissans have been pretty shitty since getting in bed with Renault

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I see a TON of Rogues on sale everywhere and just a lot of Nissans in general (Versas). Was wondering what was up with that. Figured people were trying to unload them before the maintenance schedule kicked in. I heard Nissans have been pretty shitty since getting in bed with Renault

The Rogue and Altima are huge sellers, as are their little guys the versa/sentra so seeing a lot of them for sale is natural.

I have had a number of Nissans - but I suppose I had them in their early years... My Rogue was a 2012 I bought it used and had no problems with it for the few years I drove it- I sold it/trade in via carmax and KBB instant cash offer and made 3k from what I bought it for. my Leaf is a 2012 and 70k miles no issues other than the battery was replaced in 2015 - I bought it used in 2018, and am now selling it as I got my XC90... so we will see how being a Volvo guy works out. My wife still has her QX60 Infiniti so its a Nissan Pathfinder, its a 2016, we got in 2017- only mechanical thing about it was a CVT sensor that was replaced under its certified warranty.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Depends on who you're trying to impress.

Euro trash?
Milfs?
Cocktail waitresses?
Having owned two X5s and two Discovery 4's (LR4), they are completely different vehicles and I wouldn't lump them together. The BMWs were blisteringly quick (twin turbo V8 version) and well composed on the road. Completely useless offroad. BMW infotainment system should be the industry gold standard. Neither had any issues, but sold them within 2 years.

Land Rover Discovery 4s were massive heavy and boxy 2.75 ton tanks that were incredibly capable offroad. Cavernous storage in the back. Put proper tires on them and they can go anywhere on the planet. Infotainment system was very dated compared to the BMW. Despite my current 2016 D4 being a few years newer than my 2012/2013 X5s, it feels a decade older when you compare the electronics displays and interfaces. A couple minor consumables (brakes, LCA bushings) are common, but I use these offroad and had my first one for 5 years with 0 mechanical issues.

If you are planning on keeping it on the streets and don't need the interior volume, X5 all day. If you want an actual capable go-anywhere adventuremobile, Disco 4.

Newer model Discovery 5? It's been a disaster for Land Rover. It is such a monumental departure from what the Discovery had been that it's been a flop. Lowest volume selling vehicle in their entire lineup. It's priced FAR too high and has gone far over the top with electronic systems. Most on the road are driven by soccer moms, clueless to the brand. Still massively capable offroad, but they missed the mark by a long shot. New Defender is far closer to the old Discovery 3 / Discovery 4.
It's for mi madre. I drive a diesel truck like a true American male that isn't a cuck fgt (spark plugs are for pussies).

Went to the mb, Porsche, bmw, Audi, and Land Rover today. She's so picky. Was between gls450 and land Rover disco. She likes disco. Which is fine. I don't care anymore because she's so fucking picky it's impossible. She wouldn't look at the Bentley which I thought was a good option. Good cargo room which is her #1 rec but.. She wants the be "modest".

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Honestly are all women so anal about buying a car? I mean it's so specific, her requirements..

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's for mi madre. I drive a diesel truck like a true American male that isn't a cuck fgt (spark plugs are for pussies).

Went to the mb, Porsche, bmw, Audi, and Land Rover today. She's so picky. Was between gls450 and land Rover disco. She likes disco. Which is fine. I don't care anymore because she's so fucking picky it's impossible. She wouldn't look at the Bentley which I thought was a good option. Good cargo room which is her #1 rec but.. She wants the be "modest".

Modest? It's over priced, under optioned, unreliable, and people buy it entirely for the badge (the full bore RR is the only real one these days). Get a damn Tahoe or Yukon or Escalade.

My wife and I did the same thing last weekend. Thankfully she's set a limit of $50k and it removes some of the stupid options available (Q7, Cayenne, GLS, RRS, X5m). Looking like it's coming down to the Acura RDX A-Spec or a Grand Cherokee. Lexus is hideous these days and their infotainment is 10 years out of date, which is a shame. I would have encouraged her to get a GX460 if it didn't look like an alien robot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Modest? It's over priced, under optioned, unreliable, and people buy it entirely for the badge (the full bore RR is the only real one these days). Get a damn Tahoe or Yukon or Escalade.

My wife and I did the same thing last weekend. Thankfully she's set a limit of $50k and it removes some of the stupid options available (Q7, Cayenne, GLS, RRS, X5m). Looking like it's coming down to the Acura RDX A-Spec or a Grand Cherokee. Lexus is hideous these days and their infotainment is 10 years out of date, which is a shame. I would have encouraged her to get a GX460 if it didn't look like an alien robot.
She doesn't want all these stupid electronics so was a huge bonus that the interior didn't look like a spaceship. Looked at GMC Yukon denalis last year but that entire body Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade had a major engineering flaw that caused wind reverberation noises in the cabin. Literally not fixable without reengineering and I'm not waiting for the 2021 Escalade. Yeah lexus, I have nfc what they're doing. The engines in their lineup are garbage, their tech is dated, the styling is desperate. It's a shame.

Price doesn't matter so it's not a big deal if she's "not getting her money's worth." If she hates it she can buy an Escalade in a year or so once they get all the bugs out of the first model year.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler Volvo? XC40/60/90...

It has a "big screen" but its very simplistic and Ikea modern interior.
She had an xc90 once. Got rear ended by a drunk driver and passenger seat belt broke apart so passenger ended up under dash, airbags didn't deploy, etc. Was an epic fail shit show in the safety category.

Siliconemelons

She had an xc90 once. Got rear ended by a drunk driver and passenger seat belt broke apart so passenger ended up under dash, airbags didn't deploy, etc. Was an epic fail shit show in the safety category.

Yeah that would not instill any form of desire to re-approach that brand.

The Jag SUV? few on here have it and like it...its not as big as the big "real" SUV's... Lexus LandCruiser and Infiniti QX80 are "big ones" Alfa makes an SUV, but like the Jag size... the bently one is really nice.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
CVT....ugh.
this is cursed post, i read this comment, and the very next day impreza cvt craps out, dashboard blinks like crazy, and pull codes and the valve body is shot, luckily subaru cvt's are such garbage that warranty is extended to 100k and it broke down on me at 95k bill was $0.00

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
this is cursed post, i read this comment, and the very next day impreza cvt craps out, dashboard blinks like crazy, and pull codes and the valve body is shot, luckily subaru cvt's are such garbage that warranty is extended to 100k and it broke down on me at 95k bill was $0.00
And on any new lights or rims to the car?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah that would not instill any form of desire to re-approach that brand.

The Jag SUV? few on here have it and like it...its not as big as the big "real" SUV's... Lexus LandCruiser and Infiniti QX80 are "big ones" Alfa makes an SUV, but like the Jag size... the bently one is really nice.
Like i said. Cant even begin to describe how picky she is and the goal post shifting. I found the exact discovery she wants but its in Minneapolis so it may have been burned down by now.

Gls450 was pretty impressive on cargo and how intuitive it was to use all the tech stuff.

Jag suv looks sexy but heard infotainment hard to use. Qx80 she shifted goal posts on and it was deemed "too big."

Lexus Im not impressed with at all. Much respect for toyota landcruiser but she doesn't need an overpriced overlander.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Oh wow ur alive.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i ended up getting a Hyundai Tucson with 60,000 miles

Limited FWD trim, leather, all options and panoramic sunroof.

$7,000

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
i ended up getting a Hyundai Tucson with 60,000 miles

Limited FWD trim, leather, all options and panoramic sunroof.

$7,000
I took an awd tucson on a road trip through costa rica and beat the shit out of it. Was impressed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Hyundai/Kia are not the crap cars they were 20 yrs ago. Girlfriend has a 2012 Accent she got used with 35k on it, has put another 100k on it with only minimal maintenance. And from being underneath it I can vouch for the quality of materials and coatings. We're in New England and there is minimal surface rust on the exhaust and some of the uncoated stamped steel suspension parts. Everything else is pristine. This is the benefit of being a Steel manufacturer you can self-source the best materials.

When I needed a new car end of 2018 our experience with her car, versus my shit experience with my Nissan that dropped a thrust bearing out of the motor at 96k. This drove (haha) me in the direction of getting a Hyundai. I would argue they are still a level below Toyota and Honda as far as absolute quality. However, they are totally in line with the other Japanese automakers, except for having a much better value proposition.

I got a 2018 Elantra GT Sport with 15k, I've put another 15k on it and I love it. It's not a hot hatch, but its a warm hatch. I'd love a Veloster N but I'm not dealing with the weird layout. Just need them to bring over the i30N with AWD and I will trade in, in a heartbeat.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users