Car ?'s

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Araysar Araysar stop being a bitch and review your car.

I'm not going to fuck you either way, so you have no need to be shy.

Foler is here for you, just in case.

In b4 "but your shirts".

Man the fuck up. No wonder Russia can't conquer some lgtbbq fag nazi's.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Grown ups.jpg

Let's try to keep the level of discussion above that of screenshots, shall we?

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Anybody know the reliability ratings of Porsche? I really want to pull the trigger on a Panamera GTS or 4S.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anybody know the reliability ratings of Porsche? I really want to pull the trigger on a Panamera GTS or 4S.

All of mine have been solid. Not sure about "ratings", but I don't hear many complaints from friends, car club members, or the forum (rennlist.com, worth joining and reading). Only thing that springs to mind as being a systematic problem is the lightweight corner window glass on the new GT3, but that won't affect your Panamera.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The 2007+ Porsches or so are pretty solid. When they got rid of the old motors their quality improved a lot. 2015+ Porsches are pretty high quality cars.

They're outrageously overpriced for what you get, but that's fine, because thats part of the appeal.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I have a family of 4 and my 2017 explorer just hit 100k miles. No reliability issues at all, but the exterior is literally flying off the vehicle at a startling rate. (Lost top rack, front windshield frame, and a door key input pad to just driving).

My wife has a company truck, but she may switch jobs soon.

I’m looking for advice, do I ride the explorer until it completely deteriorates, or trade it in and get some gay family thing, or maybe get a kind of cool car and force my wife to get the gay family vehicle? What ya think ?

Looking at accura, Kia stuff, and think the genesis is cool bc Iike the band, but it’s pricey

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I have a family of 4 and my 2017 explorer just hit 100k miles. No reliability issues at all, but the exterior is literally flying off the vehicle at a startling rate. (Lost top rack, front windshield frame, and a door key input pad to just driving).

I’m looking for advice, do I ride the explorer until it completely deteriorates, or trade it in and get some gay family thing, or maybe get a kind of cool car and force my wife to get the gay family vehicle? What ya think ?

Looking at accura, Kia stuff, and think the genesis is cool bc Iike the band, but it’s pricey

I imagine the trade in value of a Ford Explorer with 100k miles is pretty shitty already, and that's before the dealership has to try and sell the car with bunch of missing exterior pieces to the next buyer.

I say drive it into the ground until the wheels fall off.

iamacynic37

FoH Honkler - HONK HONK MFr
<Banned>
I imagine the trade in value of a Ford Explorer with 100k miles is pretty shitty already, and that's before the dealership has to try and sell the car with bunch of missing exterior pieces to the next buyer.

I say drive it into the ground until the wheels fall off.
Seconded - Dealership isn't gonna give you a fucking thing. Just maintain that exploder or clean it up nice for a used car lot who will also give you little to nothing but likely more than dealership

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

If you look at it rationally, there is no way it is a financially smart move.

If you look at it emotionally and can afford it, go for it.

These cars aren't know for catastrophic engine failures. Maintenance costs should be ok unless you get unlucky.

Tires and later brakes are a real cost, but depend on your driving a lot.

They don't have a ton of electrical stuff either, so less stuff to break.

Last edited:

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Probably good advice. Explorer has souped up engine with no issues and is paid off. May as well try to get another couple of years.

I took a job that’s 1099 and puts 20k miles a year. Nice tax break, but not the best thing for the car 🚗

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Probably good advice. Explorer has souped up engine with no issues and is paid off. May as well try to get another couple of years.

I took a job that’s 1099 and puts 20k miles a year. Nice tax break, but not the best thing for the car 🚗
The plastic parts flying off sounds a bit weird for a 2017. I've always thought of plastic going brittle/dry rot is more of an 10+ year age thing, over a millage thing. Do you have very harsh winters, where water is getting behind them and freezing regularly?

The window frame should probably be replaced to better protect the window and it's adhesive from being subject to the same water/ice exposure. Having the front windshield fly off, while driving 80 mph would not be an enjoyable experience. On the other pieces, unless you actually used stuff like the door key entry pad, I would just look for (or fabricate) a cover plate for any holes, and seal them off to prevent interior water leaks and rust.

Fucker

Log Wizard
The plastic parts flying off sounds a bit weird for a 2017. I've always thought of plastic going brittle/dry rot is more of an 10+ year age thing, over a millage thing. Do you have very harsh winters, where water is getting behind them and freezing regularly?

The window frame should probably be replaced to better protect the window and it's adhesive from being subject to the same water/ice exposure. Having the front windshield fly off, while driving 80 mph would not be an enjoyable experience. On the other pieces, unless you actually used stuff like the door key entry pad, I would just look for (or fabricate) a cover plate for any holes, and seal them off to prevent interior water leaks and rust.
It isn't an age thing. Ford has really bad quality and almost no QC.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
plastic going brittle/dry rot is more of an 10+ year age thing, over a millage thing

I'm still driving the 02 Accord I asked about a few pages back. It's been through Boston winters and Atlanta/LA summers parked outdoors, the only weathering issue is a bit of burn on the clear coat on the rear bumper and pitting on the steering wheel. All the other plastic parts feel like new. Fords probably just suck.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Correct, it’s a quality control issue. The roof brackets were recalled, but the other seals/plastic are common to be defective and fly off on the interstate.

My mechanic buddy said they don’t recall parts like that bc it’s not cost effective unless it’s killing people or causing enough accidents - kind of like that speech in fightclub lol.

I live near New Orleans, so maybe the ultra humidity got to it, but it’s under garage at night so who knows.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If you look at it rationally, there is no way it is a financially smart move.

If you look at it emotionally and can afford it, go for it.

These cars aren't know for catastrophic engine failures. Maintenance costs should be ok unless you get unlucky.

Tires and later brakes are a real cost, but depend on your driving a lot.

They don't have a ton of electrical stuff either, so less stuff to break.
Nah, I get that it's retarded financially. I'm considering getting one because I can. But, I don't want a brand that is constantly in the shop and I've heard that Porsche has reliability issues. However, it sounds like that's mostly an "older" models thing. From Cad Cad 's experience, it sounds like they've made some huge improvements.

At this point I'll probably just wait for the auto-market to blow up, prices to fall, and then I'll pull the trigger on it.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard

Rule of thumb is $100 for every 5k financed, whatever you want to buy figure the price based on that, put that money back each month and ride the beater until the wheels fall off, you can probably get at least 2-3 years out of it and if you save then in a few years you can make a massive down payment and get the vehicle you want without being saddled to the debt for long.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is it ever smart to trade in your car? Seems like they just add half what they pay you onto the price of your new car. Also people don't seem to understand that financing a car costs more than paying cash for it. I hear people say all the time that they couldn't afford to pay cash for a car and I'm like "It's cheaper than what you're doing bro".

Fucker

Log Wizard
Is it ever smart to trade in your car? Seems like they just add half what they pay you onto the price of your new car. Also people don't seem to understand that financing a car costs more than paying cash for it. I hear people say all the time that they couldn't afford to pay cash for a car and I'm like "It's cheaper than what you're doing bro".
I've always sold mine via private sales. Kind of a pain sometimes, but it doesn't take too many vehicles before the sum really gets big.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

People buy what they can't afford. Cars are one of the biggies. Lots living paycheck to paycheck and the fancy car they "need" to impress everyone is a burden they really shouldn't have.

On topic: some states provide tax incentives to trade a car and you can end up saving many thousands depending on what you are trading and then buying.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I think it can be worth it just to avoid the headaches that come with a private sale. People are flaky and annoying. I now only do private sale with cars that I'm confident I'm not going to get troublesome buyers for.

An overlooked option can be to sell your car to a dealer directly, I've done that a few times. Actually sold one back to same dealer I bought it from. It can be worth driving past a few dealers and ask if they'd be willing to buy it, If you have 3 offers you already know a lot more than someone who only has one. Just be prepared for them to say no and not take it personally.

I think you are in the best negotiating position when you buy the car cash without a trade-in because it leaves the dealer the least room to sneak stuff like extra services or longer payments in. If you have a good idea of what your car is realistically going to be worth to a dealer you're most of the way there.