Car ?'s

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think you are in the best negotiating position when you buy the car cash without a trade-in because it leaves the dealer the least room to sneak stuff like extra services or longer payments in.

It's not even that subtle. They literally lower the price of your car if you don't have a trade-in. I actually verified this on a 4-wheeler once because I was buying one and after the guy had already made a quote, I brought up the idea of a trade-in. He told me that he would give me $1500 for the trade-in. Then when we went to close the deal, the price on the contract was $500 more than he had told me before. I pointed it out and he said "That was for cash no trade". I don't know why he didn't just tell me the trade-in was $1000 because it was the same deal but now I was pissed off.

You can see it at any used car lot though. Ask them a price, then say "how about for cash no trade?" and they will instantly drop the price by a couple grand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
When I bought my wife’s vehicle the salesman couldn’t wrap his head around the fact that I didn’t want to hear how much my payment would be be, he came out with this paper that he called the 4 square and it had the months of the loan, the monthly payments the interest rate and price. I told him I don’t give a fuck about any of that, all I care about is the total price and that he needed to drop the price by 4K. Guy came back with the same paper but different numbers, never once ran my credit because I didn’t authorize him to so I don’t know where he was getting these numbers. So I got up walked out went to the bank got a pre-approval letter for the price I wanted to pay came in and put it on the table and said “do you want a sale or not” guy came back with his manager and the manager wanted to know my loan officers number because he wanted to call and ask if she could loan me more, got up walked out, guy caught me in the parking lot and told me he’d accept that offer, told him to fuck off I won’t buy from them, started my truck and he said the magic words, 1500 off my pre-approval.

Never ever let these mother fuckers work your loan or find you financing, go get your own financing, they will shotgun your credit out there and give you a ton of inquiries and they will work with lenders they work with often and will fuck you.

Also the biggest crook is the guy who does the paperwork, pay for nothing but tax title and license, nothing else, NOTHING. Read everything, they aren’t canceling the deal because you don’t over pay for their gap insurance, or acid etching or nitrogen in tires and whatever other gimmicks that they use to steal thousands of dollars from you. Tax Title and License, nothing else.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Unless something drastic has changed you don't really need to worry about the financing they are trying to push on you.

Negotiate the actual sale price, like you did, make sure the interest rate on the loan they are pushing isn't way over market value, take the keys and refinance it the next day.

You'll have to pay like $40 to make up the difference or even nothing at all depending on the difference in rates.

They're definitely crooks but it's very easy and cost effective to not worry about dealer financing.

Obviously shop around for loans first and do your due diligence.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never ever let these mother fuckers work your loan or find you financing, go get your own financing, they will shotgun your credit out there and give you a ton of inquiries and they will work with lenders they work with often and will fuck you.
For home loans at least, once 1 agency runs your credit for it, all other credit inquires in the next 30(?) days will count as the same inquiry and not keep decreasing your score. From what I remember, it was only a few points, and was restored after 30 to 90 days. I have never messed with auto loans, but I would think that it would be the same.

Related thought:
All loans should be subject to the Truth In Lending Act, so you can (should) request a TILA disclosure, to look over, before signing anything. Then ask for a break down of the amount financed, if it doesn't match what they say the car costs plus 1-2% origination fee.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Last new truck I bought I got the owner as a salesman. They had advertised the truck in the very very small local paper. He gave me the keys and told me to ride around for a while. When I got back I said give me a price with TT&L everything total. He went into his office and used a calculator with a tape and tore off the total and gave it to me. Walked across the street and gave it to the president of the bank.

Went back and the owner of the dealership said don't worry we'll get a check from them for the total later in the week. I drove the new truck home and he drove my old truck and the mechanic picked him up. Sometimes small towns pay off. He told me because of the fracking boom they couldn't almost give away a non 1 ton diesel and such. They had 1 car on the showroom floor (a corvette) and the rest of the lot were trucks. Owner said some of the trucks were from a dealer in Houston that needed the room short term.

Signed two pieces of paper. One, that I had actually taken posession of the truck. Second that I understood Onstar would be non funcitonal in my area due to lack of cell coverage.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Much as I dislike the EU, they do occasionally do good work and they cracked down on all the random fees bullshit a few years ago. Dealers are now legally required to advertise out-the-door prices that include all taxes, license plates, pre-delivery inspection etc. They can sell you extra floormats or whatever but if they refuse to sell at the advertised price, they can get fined.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Much as I dislike the EU, they do occasionally do good work and they cracked down on all the random fees bullshit a few years ago. Dealers are now legally required to advertise out-the-door prices that include all taxes, license plates, pre-delivery inspection etc. They can sell you extra floormats or whatever but if they refuse to sell at the advertised price, they can get fined.
Thats one thing I really enjoy when I'm in Europe.. price transparency is awesome. I think we're all grown up enough to admit good things about Europe along with the good things about the US. When you see a price advertisement in Europe on a product... that is the exact price you will pay. In America thats more like a teaser to get you to ask what the final price will be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Is there still negotiations to go lower or people just pay the asking price? Also, I thought yall bought new cars directly from the manufacturer now?

The dealer system is so imbedded in the US that they got laws passed to protect them, so we are seemingly stuck with the system.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there still negotiations to go lower or people just pay the asking price? Also, I thought yall bought new cars directly from the manufacturer now?

The dealer system is so imbedded in the US that they got laws passed to protect them, so we are seemingly stuck with the system.

You can definitely negotiate a lower price on a new car although with used cars it's getting harder to get more than a few hundred off. Dealer network remains for all except Tesla and some Chinese manufacturers although it's on the decline. VW, Mercedes and BMW are all switching to a direct-to-customer model in the next few years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm still driving the 02 Accord I asked about a few pages back. It's been through Boston winters and Atlanta/LA summers parked outdoors, the only weathering issue is a bit of burn on the clear coat on the rear bumper and pitting on the steering wheel. All the other plastic parts feel like new. Fords probably just suck.
try this stuff to restore the steering wheel, i have the same year civic and the wheel does look wrecked (tho tbh, once i cleaned it w/ steamer, most of the "fading" was due to old skin cells embedded into it, yuck, even tho it's mine)
a3724930e2977b804e297e17cedf52bd.png

Chemical Guys TVD_107_16 VRP Vinyl, Rubber and Plastic Non-Greasy Dry-to-the-Touch Long Lasting Super Shine Dressing for Tires, Trim and More, Safe for Cars, Trucks, SUVs, RVs & More, 16 fl oz

its an interior version in the project farms video
this actually performed the best Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quick Plastic Trim Restorer - Guaranteed Restoration to Last Over 200 Washes – A Ceramic Coating, Not a Dressing
but it's only for exterior and i wasn't gonna put exterior stuff on interior trim
i've tried a few trim applications over the years meguirs, mothers, and this one seems to be the best

Burns

try this stuff to restore the steering wheel, i have the same year civic and the wheel does look wrecked (tho tbh, once i cleaned it w/ steamer, most of the "fading" was due to old skin cells embedded into it, yuck, even tho it's mine)
a3724930e2977b804e297e17cedf52bd.png

Chemical Guys TVD_107_16 VRP Vinyl, Rubber and Plastic Non-Greasy Dry-to-the-Touch Long Lasting Super Shine Dressing for Tires, Trim and More, Safe for Cars, Trucks, SUVs, RVs & More, 16 fl oz

its an interior version in the project farms video
this actually performed the best Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quick Plastic Trim Restorer - Guaranteed Restoration to Last Over 200 Washes – A Ceramic Coating, Not a Dressing
but it's only for exterior and i wasn't gonna put exterior stuff on interior trim
i've tried a few trim applications over the years meguirs, mothers, and this one seems to be the best
I've used 303 Aerospace protectorate and Back to Black. The 303 was just for interior only and Black to Black was only for exterior plastic, not rubber.

For rubber, GM recommends dielectric grease every year or two and it has worked well to keep all the rubber pliable on a 18 year old car.

Most manufacturers use plastic coated leather (until you get to $100k+ vehicles), so the 303 can work on it as well, but real leather should use a leather cleaner then a moisturizer.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
After 5 months of wait, new car is finally here.

2023 Genesis GV70.

IMG_8172.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
what did you do?

Passenger had my attention while I was driving out of a parking.

Thought the small road I was driving onto was part of the parking, but it was a 50 mph road.

Jeep with trailer was coming from right side, I braked some and turned so much to the left Marx would envy it, but the trailer still hit cars bumper on the right front and dragged along to the front.

The front sensors and cameras are all fucked. The pic is from after I slammed the beaver teeth back in what remains of the front.

Burns

Someone really didn't like the look of that new grill style! On the positive side of things, you could go aftermarket front bumper and improve it's looks!

Expensive repair. I had to replace my front bumper after a semi lost a chunk of metal and left it in the middle of the road. It was easily north of $1500 at a top end repair place. Luckily, insurance covered much of it. They had a laser paint matching system and it worked flawlessly, even 6 years later, it's still matched perfect on a difficult metallic coat.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Someone really didn't like the look of that new grill style! On the positive side of things, you could go aftermarket front bumper and improve it's looks!

Expensive repair. I had to replace my front bumper after a semi lost a chunk of metal and left it in the middle of the road. It was easily north of $1500 at a top end repair place. Luckily, insurance covered much of it. They had a laser paint matching system and it worked flawlessly, even 6 years later, it's still matched perfect on a difficult metallic coat.

The bumper is plastic so I'm not worried about color match since the car is so recent, not like it faded.

My insurance covers this 100%, and I get a free replacement while they repair it, since I haven't caused an accident in 15 years while full omnium insured, my yearly cost doesn't increase either.

I just have to miss the car until end of april. Sucks.

Still have 23 months of factory warantee, will tune it after, maybe.