Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I am loving my Model X. I mean its not "cheap" to get a model 3 for for my daughter next year, but I also now how it is to be a teen driver. The more I drive my X the more I realize that the safety features might save her from doing something stupid especially in the first year or two.
Yea I couldn't see myself getting my kid anything other than the standard 3. Time is on my side though. By the time my kids are close to driving the Model 2 (2023ish) will be out and probably more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I dont know if you have kids or not, but as I get my familiar with the safety features I'm starting to consider if I want my teen daughter to learn in a tesla from a safety perspective with autopilot enhancements. Things like lane control and tailgate assistance etc might save her from an early accident. It would be expensive but ultimately money doesn't matter if it saves her from injury or worse.

I would think you'd want her to spend the first year or two learning to drive manually without the bowling lane bumpers.

If she wasn't depending on the car to drive itself wouldn't she'd be a better more adapted driver in the long run?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would think you'd want her to spend the first year or two learning to drive manually without the bowling lane bumpers.

If she wasn't depending on the car to drive itself wouldn't she'd be a better more adapted driver in the long run?
You dont use autopilot on non-highway driving. At least not yet, its still in beta. You only really use it for highways. I am more concerned with it assisting her driving at 65 than I am her controlling the car on a local road doing 30. Let her learn to control it on local roads.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You are getting AI to make a car safer for your kid...

My dad thought it was funny to put a 10 year old me in the driver's seat, tell me to engage the clutch, he put the truck in first, told me to release the clutch, then he stomped the gas to the floor.

That's how I learned to drive on ice. Completely panicked, with no control of the throttle, and a fucking maniac laughing hysterically next to me.

My son is getting the old school "this is either going to kill us or be hilarious" treatment

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You are getting AI to make a car safer for your kid...

My dad thought it was funny to put a 10 year old me in the driver's seat, tell me to engage the clutch, he put the truck in first, told me to release the clutch, then he stomped the gas to the floor.

That's how I learned to drive on ice. Completely panicked, with no control of the throttle, and a fucking maniac laughing hysterically next to me.

My son is getting the old school "this is either going to kill us or be hilarious" treatment
Different times. I was the same as you more or less. But a 1970 F-150 wasn't exactly a racing machine and traffic was a "whee" bit lighter back then.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

yea too much tech makes you lazy, i don't even look back anymore when i backup, just look through the camera

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I dont know if you have kids or not, but as I get my familiar with the safety features I'm starting to consider if I want my teen daughter to learn in a tesla from a safety perspective with autopilot enhancements. Things like lane control and tailgate assistance etc might save her from an early accident. It would be expensive but ultimately money doesn't matter if it saves her from injury or worse.
Women can’t keep their phones charged above 7% and you’re going to get your daughter a Tesla. Have fun picking her stranded ass up as she runs out of battery every two weeks.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yea too much tech makes you lazy, i don't even look back anymore when i backup, just look through the camera
Yeah. When they first came out with automatic braking my wife said “So it just stops you before you hit something like a car or wall?” I said yes and she said “So I wouldn’t have to try to figure out how far into the garage I need to park every time? I could just drive in at full speed and it would stop me? I want that!” I didn’t know what to say.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
There's a term often used around me. Cowboy logic or redneck logic.

That is womens logic right there.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
On a serious note there’s no way in hell I’d get my kid a Tesla. There’s way too much automation they would rely on and never really learn how to drive. So when they get in their friends car and drive and just cut into a different lane without looking and crash, it’s going to be because they didn’t realize the car would let them or they had to look.

Just buy her a used Subaru. They’re AWD so drive great in bad weather. Their B pillars are so strong the jaws of life can’t cut them open, so it’s basically a roll cage. They run forever like Honda’s and Toyota’s and are reliable as hell. And cost 1/2 the Tesla. They still have lane assist and auto braking and all that safety shit you want, but they don’t drive for you.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just buy her a used Subaru. They’re AWD so drive great in bad weather. Their B pillars are so strong the jaws of life can’t cut them open, so it’s basically a roll cage. They run forever like Honda’s and Toyota’s and are reliable as hell.
maybe the older ones, newer cvt subbies (post 2010) have all been dying at 60k mark (mine luckily died at 98k miles)

i mean unless of course you can find a manual then you avert the cvt issues.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You should also only buy your kids cars that have dents in them and look like a POS so

1) It won't matter when they have a fender bender with them and trash the interior.
2) They will be motivated to get a job and buy themselves a better car.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You should also only buy your kids cars that have dents in them and look like a POS so

1) It won't matter when they have a fender bender with them and trash the interior.
2) They will be motivated to get a job and buy themselves a better car.
Yep. My first car was a POS my grandpa got from a neighbor for hanging a few doors in his house for him.

It had tires so bald you could see the wire mesh. No radio or speakers at all. The ceiling cloth was held up with push pins. It leaked gasoline on the firewall so smelled like gas inside. It died when you turned right. When it died the steering and brakes locked up so every time I turned right I had to get my hand on the key to turn it over to try to restart it to unlock the steering. When you turned it off it the engine would continue to run, sputtering for like a minute (called dieseling). Accelerating didn’t always work, it would sputter and almost die every time. That almost got me killed in some intersections.

We wrote 666 Death Car on the back windshield. It only lasted 6 months. 1982 Plymouth Reliant.

It made me really appreciate my second car(at first), a 1986 Plymouth Reliant my great grandma sold me cause she couldn’t drive anymore. It was pristine but still a POS, had all kinds of problems with that one too.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yep. My first car was a POS my grandpa got from a neighbor for hanging a few doors in his house for him.

It had tires so bald you could see the wire mesh. No radio or speakers at all. The ceiling cloth was held up with push pins. It leaked gasoline on the firewall so smelled like gas inside. It died when you turned right. When it died the steering and brakes locked up so every time I turned right I had to get my hand on the key to turn it over to try to restart it to unlock the steering. When you turned it off it the engine would continue to run, sputtering for like a minute (called dieseling). Accelerating didn’t always work, it would sputter and almost die every time. That almost got me killed in some intersections.

We wrote 666 Death Car on the back windshield. It only lasted 6 months. 1982 Plymouth Reliant.

It made me really appreciate my second car(at first), a 1986 Plymouth Reliant my great grandma sold me cause she couldn’t drive anymore. It was pristine but still a POS, had all kinds of problems with that one too.
Sounds more dangerous than ollieing 15 stairs.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds more dangerous than ollieing 15 stairs.
Largest set I ever ollied was a 12. I did Ollie the second car though off a kicker ramp. Only have one pic of the second car, just an Ollie off to the side though . Wish the hood was in the pic, we ziptied bullhorns to it lol

3F3544BF-7487-4FBA-A71A-30416BD5318C.jpeg

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I gotta admit, I was sort of skeptical about the speed that Tesla Superchargers were advertised at. Fuck was I wrong. Having to take an unscheduled cross country trip in my new Tesla. I hit the 1st 250kw Supercharger and damn that shit was fast. It obviously slows as the battery gets closer to full but that line about 80% of a charge in 30 minutes is pretty damn accurate (at least on the 250kw chargers). I did have to use a 150kw at one stop and while it was a little longer it wasn't "that" much longer.

I dont understand the computer's logic in choosing charge stops on the way though. I look on the map about 200 miles from my current charge spot and start looking for a 250kw charger. Some of the shorter stops the computer chooses make no sense to me. Maybe it knows something I dont but stopping 20 miles down the road to charge after I just charge just seems nonsensical.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thi
Yeah, but 30 minutes per stop....
This was one of my initial concerns but in practical application I am finding its a non-issue. I am charging right now. I get out and plug in. Stretch, go to the bathroom, hit the store for a bottle of water etc. It actually burns about 15 minutes. I then sit down and map out the next Supercharger stop on the display and at that point its a good 20 minutes passed. 10 minutes to check the phone and its back on the road.

I have been really surprised that the stops aren't bothering me at all.