Car ?'s

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't camped regularly in years and have never taken a vehicle into the 'wilderness'. How far do people typically drive if you're taking jeep or whatever off-road to camp?

Genuine question.

I've never done it either, but overlanding is big now and it involves driving off road to somewhere remote and camping in, on, or next to your truck/jeep. Looks fun.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Attach files
I've never done it either, but overlanding is big now and it involves driving off road to somewhere remote and camping in, on, or next to your truck/jeep. Looks fun.
702262424ac39e9594efaa02310826ee.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
changed oil first time in almost a year, not even 3k miles cuz of wfh. still too lazy and left junk in garage so cars are parked in driveway (everyone does this, so it doesn't look weird, but it makes you lazy and just use the garage as a storage depot). so changed oil in pebble driveway. learned right away car jack doesn't work on pebble driveway, have to put cardboard underneath it so it can roll, my jack isn't ghetto btw, it's a nice low profile 3ton one.

again i'm left wondering why the hell do ppl have pebble driveways?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I just spent 900 euros to have the fucking break tubes fixed. The drive to the service was fun, last few km's only using a handbrake. Also fucking front springs cost 140 euros. WTF are these prices? Don't these bastards know how much I spent last month rebuilding my hdd storage?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just spent 900 euros to have the fucking break tubes fixed. The drive to the service was fun, last few km's only using a handbrake. Also fucking front springs cost 140 euros. WTF are these prices? Don't these bastards know how much I spent last month rebuilding my hdd storage?

WTF is a brake tube? Do you mean the brake lines? The master cylinder? The calipers or the rotors?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
140eu for 2 coilover springs sounds reasonable. Did they replace all toe brake lines for 900

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Either get gud and learn to turn a wrench, or get your asshole reamed. YouTube should have tutorials on anything you need to do car wise.

Also, if one strut/spring wore out due to age, the other side will soon follow. They aren't that hard to do yourself.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Either get gud and learn to turn a wrench, or get your asshole reamed. YouTube should have tutorials on anything you need to do car wise.

Also, if one strut/spring wore out due to age, the other side will soon follow. They aren't that hard to do yourself.
while this looks simple it isn't
s-l400.jpg

i literally tried to summon thor bending this for my old civic. but i do know how to bend brake lines now and have a kit for different kinds of flares.

Burns

while this looks simple it isn't
s-l400.jpg

i literally tried to summon thor bending this for my old civic. but i do know how to bend brake lines now and have a kit for different kinds of flares.
Yea, replacing all the brake lines is advanced wrench turning, and a decent chunk of labor. Bending your own tubes is the "cheapest" way, but then you need specialty tools for it. Depending on the vehicle, you should be able to buy pre-bent tubes for it though. With pre-bent stuff, its just the labor of getting it up in the air, taking off all the wheels, fishing the tubes through the frame, and then getting fluid back into the system and bleeding it properly. Still, I would wager there are a plethora of how-to videos on YouTube for it.

I was talking about strut/springs not being that hard to change.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wfh only use the subaru, 2002 civic practically stayed in the driveway for almost a year (i just made sure tire pressure didn't drop) decide to give it a start, battery dead. charge it up w/ my charger. smoke comes out the engine, then stops.

made sure i had all fluids (i did)

after a bit figured out my alternator is shot/stuck and that smoke is probably from the serpentine belt getting burned, took off tire and i see black rubber flakes and belt looks worn (i changed it a few thousand miles ago)

so ordering a new belt and i'm gonna try this

just cranking on the alternator to get it turning, if that doesn't work then i'll get a used ebay alternator

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yea, replacing all the brake lines is advanced wrench turning, and a decent chunk of labor. Bending your own tubes is the "cheapest" way, but then you need specialty tools for it. Depending on the vehicle, you should be able to buy pre-bent tubes for it though. With pre-bent stuff, its just the labor of getting it up in the air, taking off all the wheels, fishing the tubes through the frame, and then getting fluid back into the system and bleeding it properly. Still, I would wager there are a plethora of how-to videos on YouTube for it.

I was talking about strut/springs not being that hard to change.
Uhh don't y'all think he meant the rubber lines going to the calipers and not the hard lines? 900 Euro seems like a lot to just do brake lines though, unless it was a complete brake job. Who replaces (or needs repairing) the hard lines? I have never hard of that.

Burns

Uhh don't y'all think he meant the rubber lines going to the calipers and not the hard lines? 900 Euro seems like a lot to just do brake lines though, unless it was a complete brake job. Who replaces (or needs repairing) the hard lines? I have never hard of that.
Yea, I assumed something went wrong with the aluminum lines and everything needed replacing for that price. I have never needed to do it, but then I haven't owned a vehicle that had been driven in the various salt chemicals up north for 20+ years. Also, road gators and debris can fuck up anything in your undercarriage. I don't know how prevalent retreads are in Europe though.

Maybe he drives a Lada. According to top gear, everything breaks on those.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I wonder what's going on here. Some kind of announcement in an hour from... delorean?

nu_11

I just came back from getting my 2011 car service and I was notified that I have three important things I need to get done: front brake system $550, rear brake system $550, front carry arm (?) and bushels $1000.

So in the near term I’m gonna have to spend $2000 minimum to get this old car serviced.

Should I just look into buying a new vehicle?