Castle

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure that if it were being renewed, even without Katic, it would have ended with them on the floor so it was a cliffhanger ending like Kithani said. The 7 Years Later part was clearly the added on part.

Malkav

French Madman
lol at the tacked on "seven years later" after what had to be the season cliffhanger.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That was one of her best episodes of the season.

Go figure, naw there was a slightly different voice over I bet... just instead of "happily ever after scene ", it would have most likely been her funeral.
You've got such a boner for this show man, it's terrible.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
that is because they thought they were being renewed so the "ending"wastacked on.

Nathan since the blue butterfly episode has been enamored with being a P.I. on a show.
he did not want beckett and castle to become a couple, or get married.

most of the FANS who fell in love with the story of them, wanted them together- the ratings proved it, the highest ratings were seasons 4-6 with 5 and 6 - with them being together as a couple/engaged being the highest, the fiasco of the finale of season 6 and the idiocy of his disappearance(rumors of that story line being driven BY nathan) and no wedding the fans wanted = ratings go down by about 20% over and above the drop in live viewing. then comes the idiotic locksat story line, which drives them apart- AGAIN (again pissing off the "caskett fans" even more fans stop watching the show. season 8 was by FAR the lowest rated season of the show- it -again rumors only- was due to nathan not wanting to share screentime with stana = HE was the "star" of the show, HE was the titular character- it should be "his show".
screentime for the two of them plummeted since season 6, them being- on screen in the same scene (one camera show with both faces seen) went from about 25 minutes an episode,,,to under 8 minutes an episode.

fans of the show noticed. and did not like it, the number 1 call for - besides improving the writing on the show was...more onscreen time- together- for nathan and stana,...

everything pointed to being renewed -most if not all "renewal" scorecards had Castle as a safe bet or a sure thing by the beginning of april, when news was announced that Nathan had signed a new contract with ABC Studios, (both nathan and stana signed 1 year contracts last year) then the news leaked that Stana and Tamala were not coming back next year (let go for budgetary reasons is the official ABC line-when beckett's char - in my opinion- was one half of the heart and soul of the show.(nathan and stana-together)
with the rumors of nathan having in his Contract -last year- that he will not work with stana for more than 2 days an episode, and that in one of the conditions for The new contract was that Stana would be Gone. The fanbase erupted in anger about it.
also the co-lead for the show was let go for "budgetary reasons" while secondary characters stayed on- ryan, espo, alexis, martha, haley & lanie are all secondary characters that could be "let go" without a major retooling of the show, BECKETT being gone required an entire REDO of the ENTIRE show premise.

note: season nine would have been focused on Castle being a P.I. and most of the cases of the week would have been about that -him alexis and toks -ryan and espo

prior to the news most of the fanbase wanted castle renewed for season 9(60-70%).
AFTER the news almost every Poll about renewal had it 90+%-essentially- cancel the show, or renew but only if stana(beckett) was back.

with them already announcing - no stana- and the ramifications of ratings being - probably- less than Half of what they were This season, ABC decided to cancel the show- AFTER- the last episode had been filmed.

Malkav

French Madman
Fucking shippers.

Has anyone started a suicide watch for Lenardo now that the show is over?

Oh, scratch that, he'll just switch to Lucifer instead.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I could totally see Nathan being a little mad that a show about his character was eclipsed by Beckett, but that's just the way the story played out. When the two were together in the early seasons I think the show was great - it was funny, good storylines, likeable characters.

Wasn't this the #1 drama for awhile too? Must've been raking in serious cash.

I picture Nathan like he was portrayed in Big Bang Theory.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Castle until season 7 was the highest rated and most watched abc scripted drama.

btw ratings last night were up slightly- viewership- early ratings only there could be adjustments -currently the most watched scripted show last night ~7.76 million - only the voice and dancing with the stars was higher.

7.76 was also the 2nd highest early numbers figure of the season (most of the season has had castle at 6-6.5 million an episode) the first 3 episodes were 7.2-8.0

no suicide watch, there is always fan fiction :evil..

seriously though, there will always be another show, one ends, a new one begins, hopefully a cool new series that has as good a chemistry on screen as stana and nathan had the first 4 seasons will come along shortly.

and i LIKE lucifer, and unlike castle (my wife liked it ok but never followed it)- my WIFE likes Lucifer and we watched it together on tuesdays (she works late on mondays-doesn't get home from work until 9ish and just wants to eat dinner and go to bed)

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Maybe I missed this but how do you (Leonardo) know so much behind the scenes stuff? Do you work in the industry or are you just hardcore?

I liked the early Castle stuff - I wonder did the two of them despise each other from the start or did they work towards that?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
something happened ~ season 5 that made the bts stuff bad between the two of them which got worse when the show focused on resolving becketts issues/storyline. (nathan once snapped at a fan that HE was the show star, the show should be about him(castle)...well we saw how THAT went(seasons 6 7 & 8 ......)

and just hardcore fan, sorry.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Meh, it was shitty writing that made the show go downhill, not that the shitty writing focused more on Castle. I will say that if there was genuine resentment building between Fillion and Katic, I have to give them mad acting props for their performance on screen.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
you could tell something was off between the two of them.

and ya mostly the writing fault but someone was pushing to separate the two more on screen and the show had many more nathan centric episodes in the past couple of years. it was either driven by the actors or the showrunners.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
On a side note, if you get a chance my wife loves the books that came out written by "Richard Castle"

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah after I heard there was a rift, I was watching for it. Wasn't there.

It definitely should have ended with them both arm in arm on the floor. Though, I cannot help think that someone tacked on the ending as a joke about the "Hollywood ending" or a "You know what? Fuck this sucks, let cheese out the ending". At any rate it was a fun ride, at least we still got plenty of Scooby Doo episodes.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
no you Could tell - not this last episode, but you could tell from the way he would look at her, and kiss her, his eyes almost always didn't look at her with affection-in fact about half the time his i love you looked angry- and they rarely kissed on the lips.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
no you Could tell - not this last episode, but you could tell from the way he would look at her, and kiss her, his eyes almost always didn't look at her with affection-in fact about half the time his i love you looked angry- and they rarely kissed on the lips.
this is hilarious