CFB 2012-2013

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Butch Jones.

Bout what I expected. Some day Gilg will let reality sink in and admit we were all right.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Err, how so? This hire is roughly a billion percent better than Derek Dooley. Dooley was 16/20, had never coordinated, and never won a damn thing in the WAC. Jones has won four championships in six seasons as a head coach. We got turned down by Gruden, Gundy, Strong, and then Fedora wouldn't leave after one year. Does it sting Charlie Strong ended up staying at Louisville? Sure, but how is it some indictment that we couldn't steal Mike Gundy from his alma mater or Jon Gruden?

I wanted Fedora but I respect a guy not willing to leave after one year.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You were saying UT was on par to get guys like Gruden etc which was laughable. Tennessee is about on par with UofL and Oklahoma State and this hire just proves it.

And really? Big east CO champions in a conference with 8 teams really means nothing. Shit like half the fucking BE was co champs this year. Either you are in the BCS or you failed in that league.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaachhhhhhhh more dude. Watching you try to rationalize this is good shit though!

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Are you retarded? We got turned down by coaches already AT U of L and Oklahoma State. How many places would Gundy leave OSU for, if any? Strong waited forever to get a gig and he showed loyalty. It sucks but whatever. Let's see if he takes any other job in the next couple of years.

Strong, our third choice, would have been fine but a guy with a better record from the same conference isn't? The only difference is Strong has deep recruiting ties and Jones doesn't, but Jones has recruited better than Strong in the Big East and neither Saban or Meyer had ever recruited in this league before.

Bama's recent hires other than Saban: Franchione(off one good year at TCU), Mike Shula(QB coach NFL), and Mike Dubose(defensive line coach).
Florida: Meyer(Utah, one BCS season, one 10-2 season and Bowling Green 2 years), Zook(Defensive Coordinator - Saints), Muschamp (DC - Texas)
Georgia: Ray Goff(RB coach), Jim Donnan(Marshall, when they were D1-AA), Richt(OC FSU)
Auburn: Terry Bowden(Head Coach, Samford), Tuberville(25-20 at Ole Miss), Chizik(5-19 at Iowa State), and now Malzahn(1 good year as a Sun Belt coach)
LSU: Mike Archer? Gerry Dinardo? Curley Hallman? Les Miles, who had a mediocre record at OSU?

How many of those coaches have better resumes at the time of their hire than Jones? Meyer and who? Just because he's not a national name it's a bad hire? Neither was Charlie Strong or Fedora. Why is Kirby Smart a better hire than Jones, who we picked over him?

We could have hired Butch Davis(who is begging for any job) and it would have been a better name but he has NCAA concerns.

People are acting like this was some terrible hire mainly because we went after two guys we had very little chance of getting(Gruden, Gundy) and Strong left us at the altar.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't think it's a terrible hire. I think he's getting overpaid at the start of his contract and that contract is pretty long.

When we fired Hallman his buyout was $98k lol.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Has anyone brought up the fact yet that there is a very good chance that Butch Jones has just been riding on the coat tails of Brian Kelly?

Central Michigan Head Coach:
Brian Kelly - 2004-2006
Butch Jones 2007-2009

Cincinnati Head Coach:
Brian Kelly - 2007-2009
Buth Jones - 2010-2012

Butch Jones has yet to be a head coach without having Brian Kelly recruits making up a significant percentage of his roster every year he was at those schools.

Not good

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Heisman voting graphed as the season progressed

BkxxP.jpg

BkxxP.jpg

BkxxP.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Klein is probably the MVP in college football this year. K-State is a 6-6 team without him, and they got within 1 game of playing for the national title.

On the flip side, A&M is probably also a 6-6 team without Manziel, but they weren't close to playing for the national title at any point.

Te'o is a good linebacker playing on a great defense, with a ridiculous amount of media hype added in because it's Notre Dame. There are multiple LBs every year that put up better stats than Te'o has this year. Him even being at the ceremony is a joke.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Has anyone brought up the fact yet that there is a very good chance that Butch Jones has just been riding on the coat tails of Brian Kelly?

Central Michigan Head Coach:
Brian Kelly - 2004-2006
Butch Jones 2007-2009

Cincinnati Head Coach:
Brian Kelly - 2007-2009
Buth Jones - 2010-2012

Butch Jones has yet to be a head coach without having Brian Kelly recruits making up a significant percentage of his roster every year he was at those schools.

Not good
You'll note that Kelly wasn't at those schools very long either, and there wasn't much left in the cupboard when Kelly left Cincy. I don't think it's fair to say Jones has been riding the coat tails of Kelly, but he has certainly followed him into good situations. That said it will be some pretty good work if Butch even gets them to a bowl next year. That schedule is brutal.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Kelly was at each school long enough to where Butch Jones' 3 years at each school had Brian Kelley-recruited senior classes each of those 3 years. Jones was never at any of those schools long enough to have a full roster, or even a senior class, of his own recruits.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Again though, the Kelly recruits aren't why he was successful. Cincy started a huge number of underclassmen this year.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Te'o has seven INTs and is the clear motivational force on that team. If he won it I wouldn't cry.

Klein winning would be a complete joke. I'm sorry but they got blown out by Baylor and his numbers aren't remotely Heisman-worthy. No one wins with those numbers unless they are at OSU or something.

One more comment on Butch and we'll just wait and let it play out. I am not saying the guy is the best coach ever or that whiffing on who we whiffed on wasn't embarrassing. I'm just saying he isn't a huge reach(Dooley was) and I think he'll be a major improvement almost right away.

Tea, can you give me any info on his staff? He got a guaranteed 3M per year for assistants but it looks like he's bringing a ton of his guys from Cinci. Supposedly Weist, Elder, Stripling, Bajakian and Jancek are probably coming and maybe his OL coach(although I like our line coach pretty damn well).

Supposedly Kevin Steele wants to DC and he is a helluva recruiter but Jones apparently likes Jancek a lot.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Hiring a coach takes stepping stones even for one with lots of money. LSU didn't go from Hallman and his 3 win season straight to Saban. We had to get Dinardo who had a few decent seasons with some bowl appearances after a drought before we hired Saban. Things move so fast now that even if you won a title 10 years ago your school doesn't seem top tier if you aren't in the top 5 the last 5 years.

Worthless trivia, Dinardo was OC on the Colorado team that won the national championship - Miles was the line coach on the same team.