CFB 2012-2013

Tea_sl

shitlord
Tea, can you give me any info on his staff? He got a guaranteed 3M per year for assistants but it looks like he's bringing a ton of his guys from Cinci. Supposedly Weist, Elder, Stripling, Bajakian and Jancek are probably coming and maybe his OL coach(although I like our line coach pretty damn well).

Supposedly Kevin Steele wants to DC and he is a helluva recruiter but Jones apparently likes Jancek a lot.
I think the two best coaches are the defensive line guy, Stripling, who is the current interim HC and the o-line coach, Mahoney. Cincinnati doesn't get the best line talent in the world, but the offensive line is always among the best in the Big East and the defensive line has been sending guys to the NFL. There would be another high draft pick this year, but the guy got injured and they discovered he really shouldn't play football because of a medical condition. Two outstanding positional coaches that anybody would be lucky to have.

Elder, the RB coach, is interesting. I never hear anything about him, but Cincy's running backs have been outstanding. I'm not sure how much of that is coaching vs. natural talent. Seems like he won't fuck good shit up at the minimum. I like Jancek quite a bit. He schemes well and players play with good fundamentals and a good mental game. He wouldn't be my first choice for DC if I was building a staff, but you could do a lot worse.

I have no opinion on the rest of them. They're probably pretty decent at what they do, but they don't stand out.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Florida did get the shaft.
On the brightside I am going to drink 3 tropical isle Grenades and head over for a hurricane at PatO's within the first 5 of Minutes of arrival in the morning.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Last time I was in New Orleans, my friends and I made a friendly wager. We all chipped in 20 bucks, we started at one end of bourbon street, walked to the other end(takes a few hours when it's busy at night), but you HAD to stop and get a Lucky Dog from every vendor you saw, and stop and get a hand grenade from anyone you saw selling them. Whoever made it to the end of the street without calling it quits got the pot. Nobody made it. I think I waved the white flag somewhere around Lucky Dog #6 and hand grenade #5, I think I was maybe 2/3 of the way down the street.

Horrible idea.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Supposedly Kevin Steele wants to DC and he is a helluva recruiter but Jones apparently likes Jancek a lot.
Steele is a phenomenal recruiter, lousy coordinator. Would be great if you could get him as a linebacker coach.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks like Tommy Tuberville has taken the Cincinnati job. Now I expect Tech to come after Kingsbury. Hopefully A&M can throw enough money at him so that he stays put.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Supposedly if Petrino doesn't get a head job he's going to be Tuberville's coordinator next year. What a coup for Cinci.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
So Cincinnati is getting Tuberville and Petrino while Tennessee is getting a guy who couldn't recruit worth a damn in Ohio. The times they are a changin.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Literally every major media guy nationally loves Butch Jones. Phil Steele said he'd have us contending for the East by 2014. I didn't know the guy from Adam but tons of people like him. Mort basically jumped up and down yelling about what a great hire it was.
Chris Mortensen ?@mortreport
Caught flak for saying Bill O'Brien was right man for Penn St. Now I'll say this: Tennessee Vols got lucky with Butch Jones #lovethehire5

Nick Saban was only 5 games over .500, 0-3 in bowl games at Mich St when LSU hired. Give a Butch Jones the Vols/SEC resources, watch out.

Pete Carroll was USC's 4th choice. Fans were upset. Not when they were hoisting trophies.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I can't get over that hire. Jesus, Cincy's athletic department is on the fucking ball. My day has gotten a lot brighter.

Gilg, I was thinking about Butch's recruiting yesterday. I will say that while he didn't bring in any highly regarded talent the 2 and 3 stars guys that he did bring in were often about equal to 3 and 4 stars guys that Kelly was bringing in. So, it would seem he's pretty good at evaluating talent and finding guys for his system.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
It could turn out terrible, I don't know. But the guys who follow this sort of thing seem to like it, some of them better than they would have liked Charlie Strong. Right now our fans are going crazy because he is bringing his own guys in and it may cost us a recruit or two. He runs an entirely different system, I don't get why people are surprised he would bring in his people who know it well over guys who don't.

I bet Jim Chaney ends up at Missouri. That would be a perfect fit. Guy is really an excellent coordinator.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do we have a College Bowl Mania group? I thought I had seen one on MN, but obviously that's passed. We don't have a fantasy leagues thread anymore either, so I figured I'd ask here.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Very excited about Tuberville in Cincy. Cincinnati isn't giving up on their new found success in football at all. At this point, I have full faith in the new president and Whit Babcock.