Chernobyl

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Not super related but my neighbor just got a job at a nuclear plant and I was one of the references. The phone call consisted of ‘so you know him?’ And that was it.

He’s a thermal engineer or something

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Actuarially, you're like a gorillion times more likely to die as a fossil-fuel worker than in the nuclear power industry. That's just a fact. And it's not even close AT ALL.

The nuclear accidents get a ton more press because they're scarier, but we measure deaths in the coal industry by the dozens annually. There was a record low of 15 deaths in US coal mining a couple years ago and it was like 15 dead in a year. It's usually like 40.

Whereas in Fukushima, although 18,000 people died in the tsunami, NOONE died during the nuclear power plant failure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not super related but my neighbor just got a job at a nuclear plant and I was one of the references. The phone call consisted of ‘so you know him?’ And that was it.

He’s a thermal engineer or something
did you know him professionally or were you just a bbq reference?

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I think what surprises me the most is the guys that went in the water at the end of the 2nd episode are still alive.
From what I've read that scene is one of the few that was intensified for dramatic effect. In reality it was supposedly a couple inches of water and the biggest obstacle was the maze of pipes and hallways.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Actuarially, you're like a gorillion times more likely to die as a fossil-fuel worker than in the nuclear power industry. That's just a fact. And it's not even close AT ALL.

The nuclear accidents get a ton more press because they're scarier, but we measure deaths in the coal industry by the dozens annually. There was a record low of 15 deaths in US coal mining a couple years ago and it was like 15 dead in a year. It's usually like 40.

Whereas in Fukushima, although 18,000 people died in the tsunami, NOONE died during the nuclear power plant failure.
Nuclear power is the most effective power source we have ever attained on this planet and it’s because of hippy bullshit that it’s not more widespread.

That being said when shit goes wrong it can really goes wrong. Imagine every time there’s a fire at an oil refinery there’s a small chance that the area will be unlivable for 30,000 years.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nuclear power is the most effective power source we have ever attained on this planet and it’s because of hippy bullshit that it’s not more widespread.

That being said when shit goes wrong it can really goes wrong. Imagine every time there’s a fire at an oil refinery there’s a small chance that the area will be unlivable for 30,000 years.

Disagree here. I live in hippy central and people are pro nuclear in general. You're talking about environmentalist central. But I'm also from Ohio and know what many hometown folks think. Those are the people that are more anti-nuclear because they look at Chernobyl and just assume that's a common risk. Those are also the places that have prominent coal plants. Hmmm...

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nuclear plant are a good idea, but let's not forget that they are ran by bureaucrats, and one must not underestimate their ability to completely fuck up something perfectly fine. I don't think we can shrug fukushima as "something happened", now imagine something similar happening in South Africa or Venezuela, or if the IRCG sabotage their nuclear power plant when they are about to be overthrown

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Soviets really piss me off in that first episode. Great episode, but the arrogance and ineptitude resulting in a complete halt in nuclear investment shaped the future of the energy industry forever.

The reactor bombed.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think we can shrug fukushima as "something happened"

No, we really can. Fukushima wasn't bureaucrats fucking things up, it was hit by a high magnitude earthquake and two tsunamis, and despite that they never suffered a catastrophic core containment breach. It wasn't until years later that there was any evidence that they suffered any core containment breach at all.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
What I don't understand from this show is why none of the Russian scientists were able to figure out how it could have exploded. All of them keep repeating "it's not possible" but if the rest of the world chose not to build their plants like them surely there was a reason that was easily understood by others.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Show is really good.

Also side note

Some of the best FPS missions in gaming history take place there.

F8E4A197-AF7E-4CC6-A22E-C5F05404610E.gif
5617AB5E-0E14-47F1-B52A-2A2A27086405.gif
FDF52E00-BE19-4864-B4CF-F79C932C998C.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some people forget how fucking awesome Modern Warfare was (singleplayer).

Russia still has 11 RMBK reactors in service today. Supposedly the catastrophe was due to a failure during a simulated power outage test, where cooling to the reactor was halted, but there is also literature that says the unit was overpowered which caused the explosion? Lack of cooling would most likely cause a meltdown, Im sure someone smarter than me can explain it more accurately.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
^ probably my second favorite FPS campaign behind Half-Life 2, and even then it's super close. Basically 1A and 1B.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Some people forget how fucking awesome Modern Warfare was (singleplayer).

Russia still has 11 RMBK reactors in service today. Supposedly the catastrophe was due to a failure during a simulated power outage test, where cooling to the reactor was halted, but there is also literature that says the unit was overpowered which caused the explosion? Lack of cooling would most likely cause a meltdown, Im sure someone smarter than me can explain it more accurately.

When water regulated reactors, which most of the world uses, overheat and boil off the water they lose cooling, BUT they also lose the water which moderates the reactor and allows it to run, so without water it inherently powers down. They can still meltdown from a lack of cooling, but it will be a slow meltdown. Russian RBMK reactors use water for cooling, and graphite for moderation. When the water used for cooling boils off, the reaction speeds up, this leads to rapid and violent meltdowns.

Imagine it like this. A water moderated reactor is like a car with an emergency rocket engine pointing forward to stop you if the brakes fail. It goes off and slows you down, it won't stop the car, but it'll make the ensuing crash less bad. A graphite moderated RBMK reactor is like if that rocket engine was pointed backwards. If the brakes fail you speed up leading to an even worse crash.

It's mind boggling designs like this were signed off on.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Void coefficient - Wikipedia

Neutron moderator - Wikipedia

Those are the two things Brekk is talking about. And on top of the insanity of using reactors configured with a positive void coefficient, there is an additional level of danger in using graphite as a neutron moderator because graphite is combustible. Modern first world reactors have negative void coefficients and do not use combustible neutron moderators.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
What I don't understand from this show is why none of the Russian scientists were able to figure out how it could have exploded. All of them keep repeating "it's not possible" but if the rest of the world chose not to build their plants like them surely there was a reason that was easily understood by others.
The above posts talk about the faults of RBMK, but one of the benefits is that the water is at significantly lower pressure than western reactors. Contemplating a water pressure explosion probably didn't even cross their minds because their reactors were specifically designed to use lower pressure. They were probably fixated on some kind of nuclear criticality explosion which would also be impossible given the enrichment level of the fuel. As we'll likely see in the last two episodes the "safety test" had significant execution errors that were unknown to Legasov and others outside the control room, and inside the control room were 25 year old "senior chief engineers."

One thing that contributed to the explosion is that their control rods had graphite tips which actually increase the power. It's like your gas grill knobs going through Max to get to Off. When the control rods got stuck part way in the graphite tips did the exact opposite of what control rods are supposed to do. It's why Akimov and the other kid said the explosion occurred after they pressed AZ5, which lowers the control rods. Removing those tips was one of the major changes made to RBMKs after '86.

Last edited: