Cities: Skylines

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game has rekindled my love for city builders. Loving it!

Are the Police HQ and Fire Station(?) strictly superior versions of their smaller counterparts? Or is there some sort of synergy to take advantage of? Also, is it somewhat expected to just begin using only high density zoning once it's unlocked? Or should you use both, depending on the area?

I'll say, literally the ONLY thing that I don't like about this game is that some of the unique building unlocks involve stupid negative shit that you wouldn't ever get without specifically trying to fuck your city. I love unlocks, but silly "lol suck in just this specific way" unlocks/achievements are very retarded, I've never liked them.
Well, they do kinda challenge you to ruin your city then recover from it to get the unlocks.

And a pic:

122k, I'm going to have nightmares about trains:
p1DTyMn.jpg

Tol_sl

shitlord
I'm loving this so far, but around the time I get to about 12k+ citizens, the abandoned building whack-a-mole starts getting pretty real. I'm not sure if I over-educated my citizens and they all moved to the offices I built, but my industrial district became a ghost town almost instantly at some point. Other than that, I can't quite see what I'm doing with my bus routes. I keep seeing dead end icons but no matter how hard I try to make it loop, it just seems to add more or overlap in a different way.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I had a similar problem and eventually zoned some housing areas without a school nearby. I guess the over-educated issue happens if you focus too much on citizens education without giving the industry zones the proper means of upgrading. Although I don't really know yet what causes industry upgrades.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
You fucking people are going to convince me to buy this game and I'm already playing three others.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I had a similar problem and eventually zoned some housing areas without a school nearby. I guess the over-educated issue happens if you focus too much on citizens education without giving the industry zones the proper means of upgrading. Although I don't really know yet what causes industry upgrades.
Services including the ones that may seem illogical to industry. Because this is true you really don't want industry terribly far from residential even though workers don't care about commute times. It seems that it's a quantity of services not necessarily specific ones. Schools, medical, transportation, parks, all of it counts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Good access to cargo trains and good fire coverage will revitalize your industry even if you have over educated citizens. I have the LHC which educates 1 million citizens at each level and I have industry again.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I feel like I'm becoming dumber as the day goes on and I try to figure this out; but I can't find a decent way of hooking up the initial highway connection to the city. I usually place down a roundabout and connect both highway lanes to it, then one road goes to the north (residential) and one south (industry).

Naturally, this will cause traffic jams after a while because the people who want to go to either north or south have to take the roundabout and block the people who want to enter/leave the city.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I have no fucking clue how to manage the initial Highway>City road connections.

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
Screenshots kinda crappy but this is my experiment with trying to force the inner lanes of a roundabout to be used. This city is only up to 9k but all traffic goes in and out of this roundabout and the biggest thing that helped was having no traffic lights and one way only routes.

rrr_img_92810.jpg

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
How exactly is one supposed to utilize the walk paths? Do they count as a road connection for park placement?

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
Those are mostly for looks if you dont have a road to a park police cant patrol it and it crime shoots up they seem to get used if you put them near mass transit though

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Man, I LOVE this game, and theres a shitload of good free user-created content already. Seems like the most effort is being pout towards traffic control, theres a ton of awesome custome interchanges on the Steam Workshop

Heres a custom turbine interchange, probably the best one overall for massive amounts of traffic, I have yet to be able to choke it to a standstill
efLj4IB.jpg

Heres a custom diverging diamond
ROJou48.jpg

Heres a custom elevated double-roundabout
LkR9sAC.jpg

Cool stuff, can't believe there is so much user content and the game hasn't even been out a week yet. There's custom maps (GTA5 Los Santos, Manhattan island, several other cities, etc), tons of buildings, parks, etc.)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Haven't messed with these games in a long time. Any starter suggestions besides what is already listed (don't put your shit pipe up stream which is always wise)

Seems this game really likes one way roads.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Screenshots kinda crappy but this is my experiment with trying to force the inner lanes of a roundabout to be used. This city is only up to 9k but all traffic goes in and out of this roundabout and the biggest thing that helped was having no traffic lights and one way only routes.

rrr_img_92810.jpg
How did you turn off the clouds to take a screenshot?

EDIT: 6000th post.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seems this game really likes one way roads.
I think I went overboard with the one ways, they're good for heavy traffic areas but they can cause service coverage problems. I've removed a lot of one ways in lower traffic density areas.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This game... my entire day is gone...

Thanks for fixing my one way highway problem guys.

My hastily built densly poulated area has the same population as my lovingly crafted low population area in a third of the size, do I rezone all of my low as dense? Do I need to keep some of it?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I have no fucking clue how to manage the initial Highway>City road connections.
The thing I talked about doing earlier is actually working out pretty well. I have my initial connection doing a one way round right through my industrial zone with a single off shoot into my industrial zone (so my industrial basically has a highway rubbing down its middile with multiple one way bridges over it to connect the to sides) most of my incoming traffic diverts right into my industrial zone and once it gets heavy enough I'll make another offshoot from the main highway to the other side of the industrial zone which usually splits the traffic in half. By the time it is a problem again I'll be converted to mostly offices and then I'll just upgrade to 6 lane one ways. The main highway extends past the industrial zone and branches like a tree to residential on the east and west sides and commercial on the north side.

From the BACK of the residebtial zones I have highways going to the SIDES of the commercial and industrial zones. So basically for every zone traffic comes in one way and goes out the other. I use one way roads on the parameter of each zone so that the traffic flows away from the incoming traffic and towards the outgoing. Inner roads are dual lane. I'll try and get a picture when I get home