Civilization VI

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watch some Quill18 replays- he generally plays on deity. One of his points is that its not just trying to maximize yourself, its also selectively crippling the race leaders so that they dont win. Find out who's ahead in culture and take some of their cities, same for tech.
Yea, I'll have to watch some replays to figure out how he deals with that. It seems there is just so much to do, let alone figure out what's going on all around the map. That's my next problem is I don't explore enough.

After a few more games, I'm finding that if I load it up and start a game, I can't put it down, but my interest to load it up and start a game is waning. Guess that's ok, just not my personality to hop games, it's hard AF until burn out, then move on.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
PC Gamer review... good, but not good enough. 80/100

Civilization 6: Rise and Fall review | PC Gamer

reading this review doesnt imbue me with much interest or confidence. in fact it sounds like they artificially help AI civs that fall behind to "keep things interesting" and the whole age/era dynamic just doesnt sound interesting at all.

the fact that they gave it 80/100 (while there was a full background ad for this very same game on the review page) makes me really leery.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PC Gamer review... good, but not good enough. 80/100

Civilization 6: Rise and Fall review | PC Gamer

The whole civs not falling behind too far on tech mechanic is pretty good. About time they added something like that.

On the other hand, Golden ages sound like a massive "win more" mechanic.

I sparked one myself when I converted the Catholic holy city of Seville to Protestantism. It essentially created a mission where I had to hold it for 16 turns and the rest of the world had to stop me.

LOL, AI is bad enough at taking cities as it is, now forcing it into wars it's not prepared for? 16 turns? What a fucking joke. I don't even need to test the game to know that mechanic is basically a fucking waste.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Civilization VI Analyst: Rise and Fall

Sid Meier's CIVILIZATION VI: Rise and Fall
On November 28, 2017 2K announced a new expansion for Civilization VI titled Civilization VI: Rise and Fall. It is scheduled for release on February 8, 2018. The lead designer on the expansion is Anton Strenger, who was the Lead Systems & Gameplay Designer on Civilization: Beyond Earth. The senior producer is Andrew Frederiksen, who was a Lead Producer for Beyond Earth.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Given Beyond Earth was just a super low effort reskin of V, that doesn't bode well.

Looking at Governors, it makes me wonder if they realize how the game actually works when they put in the bonuses

>Black Marketeer: Strategic resources are not required in the city to build resource dependent units.

If you don't have the resource, the unit can't heal! What's the value of a swordsman when he can't heal the damage from combat?

>Horns, Chest, Loins (Shaka): Fancies corps and armies, and those that utilize them.

oh boy, looking forward to that classical era denounce for not having panzer armies yet.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's Shaka, he was going to denounce and attack you anyway :D

• 1Worf

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
i ended up buying it. gonna fire it up right now and see how it goes

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I played about 100 turns today. Played through a dark age and a heroic age

Still too early for a full review but I ended up liking the age/era dynamic a lot more than I thought I would and the game has a lot of new features. Diplomacy actually works much better now and combat AI also seems better too. There are all kinds of new buildings, policies, game mechanics, etc. - overall it feels like a significantly different game - for the better.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
reading this review doesnt imbue me with much interest or confidence. in fact it sounds like they artificially help AI civs that fall behind to "keep things interesting" and the whole age/era dynamic just doesnt sound interesting at all.

the fact that they gave it 80/100 (while there was a full background ad for this very same game on the review page) makes me really leery.

yup, an 80/100 from pc gamer is essentially a 3/10

Real bummer considering firaxis were historically gods at xpax bringing their games to crazy new levels

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I played about 100 turns today. Played through a dark age and a heroic age

Still too early for a full review but I ended up liking the age/era dynamic a lot more than I thought I would and the game has a lot of new features. Diplomacy actually works much better now and combat AI also seems better too. There are all kinds of new buildings, policies, game mechanics, etc. - overall it feels like a significantly different game - for the better.

Ok just caugt up to this post. Look forward to hearing more. You played civ 4 and 5 pre and post xpacks?

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can get the expansion off GMG for $23.99 with code: FEB20

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Bought it, fired it up, xpac wasn't installed, go back to steam, had to unclick and re click the checkbox on the DLC for some reason.

Crone

So as mentioned, I've never played a Civ game before, and so I wasn't sure. Do you guys end up focusing on one way to win or another each game? Like this game I'm gonna try domination, or this game I'm gonna try the culture, or religion, etc?

I feel like I'm barely scratching the possibilities with this game, but not sure how to go about doing things differently. The description of Rise & Fall says, "expands existing Diplomacy and Government systems" , and I thought? I've never tried anything diplomatic, and I've never done anything other than choose a government and it stays that way all the way through the end. Oligarchy is what I usually choose. Is this normal? I get it that the game is deeper, and I "need" to stop playing it like a Starcraft RTS, but I don't know how.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Ok just caugt up to this post. Look forward to hearing more. You played civ 4 and 5 pre and post xpacks?

I played civ 4 but it was so long ago that i dont even remember it. I stopped playing civ for a couple years and then bought civ 5 as a goty edition with both xpacs. So i dont have first hand experience with Civ 5 base game but ive read that it was terrible and the xpacs transformed it into a totally different game. I feel like Civ 6 is moving into the right direction.

Combat AI actually uses support units correctly now, when they attack it will be with melee, range and battering rams

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
So as mentioned, I've never played a Civ game before, and so I wasn't sure. Do you guys end up focusing on one way to win or another each game? Like this game I'm gonna try domination, or this game I'm gonna try the culture, or religion, etc?

I feel like I'm barely scratching the possibilities with this game, but not sure how to go about doing things differently. The description of Rise & Fall says, "expands existing Diplomacy and Government systems" , and I thought? I've never tried anything diplomatic, and I've never done anything other than choose a government and it stays that way all the way through the end. Oligarchy is what I usually choose. Is this normal? I get it that the game is deeper, and I "need" to stop playing it like a Starcraft RTS, but I don't know how.

Yeah, for me, that decision comes pretty early on, probably in classical or medieval era. It depends a lot on what your opening situation is like (i.e. if youre on a large landmass, then domination is more viable because sea transport of troops is a pain in the ass. if you're on an isolated island, then science victory is more viable because no one will fuck with you and you dont need to spend hammers building troops, etc.). Also, it really depends a lot on your playing style. I prefer to turtle up and am more interested in min-maxing my own civ than destroying other civs, so sometimes I'll go through the whole game without a war. I virtually never start wars myself, only if some dickhead plopped his piece of shit city somewhere where it blocks my expansion.

I will say that in late game I will sometimes change tracks and alter my win condition. Sometimes I'm trying to win by science, but it turns out my culture is kicking ass because while I was waiting for these spaceports to build and launch satellites, etc. - i had a bunch of extra resources and so i made all these archaeologists and now my museums are bursting at the seams with artifacts, etc. So Ill just throw everything behind a cultural win including swapping in policies for tourism, sending trade routes to countries instead of city states, etc.

Sometimes, science and culture just drags on for so long that you just say fuck it, build 4 bombers, 2 tank corps and then blitzkrieg everyone off the map in 50 turns in late game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
IXxhA5FRJqQDmDKLhKWRqKYYnFIyteuF17D8O1d_b9Q.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Yeah, for me, that decision comes pretty early on, probably in classical or medieval era. It depends a lot on what your opening situation is like (i.e. if youre on a large landmass, then domination is more viable because sea transport of troops is a pain in the ass. if you're on an isolated island, then science victory is more viable because no one will fuck with you and you dont need to spend hammers building troops, etc.). Also, it really depends a lot on your playing style. I prefer to turtle up and am more interested in min-maxing my own civ than destroying other civs, so sometimes I'll go through the whole game without a war. I virtually never start wars myself, only if some dickhead plopped his piece of shit city somewhere where it blocks my expansion.

I will say that in late game I will sometimes change tracks and alter my win condition. Sometimes I'm trying to win by science, but it turns out my culture is kicking ass because while I was waiting for these spaceports to build and launch satellites, etc. - i had a bunch of extra resources and so i made all these archaeologists and now my museums are bursting at the seams with artifacts, etc. So Ill just throw everything behind a cultural win including swapping in policies for tourism, sending trade routes to countries instead of city states, etc.

Sometimes, science and culture just drags on for so long that you just say fuck it, build 4 bombers, 2 tank corps and then blitzkrieg everyone off the map in 50 turns in late game.
Spaceports? It never gets that far. Other Civs win via Cultural every time. Only done like 3 full games, and every time it was a loss due to Cultural loss. Bombers and tanks? never gets that far.

I guess that's the issue? End game to me is around turn 300, me and others are around the Atomic/Info age, and Germany or someone rolls in with a Cultural win. I've done both the turtle thing and domination thing and this happens every time.